Lord v Barry Engine Mounts

My 1977 "J" has about 2300 hours TT on the airframe and the original engine. The engine is running fine, the oil analysis is good, the oil filter looks good when opened up, and the valves look good with a borescope. So I see no reason to euthanize the engine; yet. 

The engine mounts on the other hand are old, tired and sagging. I'm planning to have them replaced at the next annual. 

Anyone have an opinion on Lord v Barry mounts? And I did read Don Maxwell's very useful piece on the shimming process.

Thanks

there is no difference between the brands, other than price. They are made to the specification for the application, meaning they will both use the same grade and durometer elastomeric material, and the same spacer materials. You should replace them every 5-7 years to prevent vibration damage to the airframe. Old stiff mounts transmit vibration that wrecks instruments, cracks aluminum skins, wears out aileron and elevator hinges, and the tail trim on Mooneys.

• Like 1

Engine mounts can sag, so there is a spec for that...

rubber donuts are rubber donuts, measure the compression and replace when they are out of spec...

There are a few pireps on Lord vs. Barry around here. I have seen/talked with the Lord guys at KOSH...

The Barry mounts don’t get many good pireps around here... I don’t recall if there is a single reason for that...?

PP thoughts only, both my engine mounts and gear donuts are Lord’s...

Best regards,

-a-

21 hours ago, John Mininger said:

Anyone have an opinion on Lord v Barry mounts?

I was given the same opinion by two mechanics as Phil advised so I ordered the Barry mounts for my upcoming annual in October.

Spruce has both Lord and Barry.

Expect that the engine mount structure is designed with the rubber mount geometry... so to change one, you may need to change or modify the other as well...

There are four mounts for the O... three of one type and a fourth of a different type...

Tiny details, that are hard to remember after a day...  :)

Best regards,

-a-

• 4 months later...

I was waiting for the bit on the Lord mounts and caught a glimpse of the tyraps,  I replayed it paying more attention.  The tyraps are holding a cover on the wastegate and there is a sealing cap on the turbo.  

Clarence

On 6/19/2019 at 6:34 AM, John Mininger said:

My 1977 "J" has about 2300 hours TT on the airframe and the original engine. The engine is running fine, the oil analysis is good, the oil filter looks good when opened up, and the valves look good with a borescope. So I see no reason to euthanize the engine; yet. . . . 

Thanks

I just finished reading Mike Busch’s three books, and in all three he makes a convincing case for ignoring TBO and continuing to run engines on condition, based on oil analysis and bore scope analysis. He ran the engines in his T310R to about twice TBO. His analysis rings true to me based on my experience as a master automotive technician and engine machinist. I realize aircraft engines are different in two major respects: they run at a higher percentage of rated power and they tend to be abused more — primarily from sitting. However, if protected from rust and given good care otherwise, airplane engines have the potential for running well past published TBO. 

I do not mean to hijack this thread, however there was a reply suggesting the engine will likely be rebuilt soon, and that may not be the case.

Edited by flyer338
Add a comma.
  • Like 2

20 hours ago, flyer338 said:

I realize aircraft engines are different in two major respects: they run at a higher percentage of rated power

Yes, but what is the rated power of a 6 (360 cu in), or, better yet, 9 (540/550 cu in) liter automotive engine these days? :-)

The 3.6 liter normally aspirated V-6 engine in my Cadillac is rated at 309 hp, and the 6.9 liter diesel V-8 in my old Ford truck is rated at 135 hp. I do not have the torque specifications at hand just now. 

The Cadillac burns 13 lbs. per hour in cruise at 72 mph. Depending on the bfsc I calculate the engine is making between 26 and 52 hp — the higher figure is 16% power. If the engine makes it 200k miles that would be 2778 hours. 

• Thanks 1