Hey friends, 

You didn't know we were friends yet, but here we are. We're all members of the "Owned by a Mooney" club. 

IMG_4604.jpg.4c1505e3c2b6023aa7e856f5696fde9a.jpg

(Flaps hanging because I shot this picture from a J-3. It was my second-most-mismatched formation flight ever)

My connection with this M20C goes back a while. I was a mechanically-inclined airport kid, well on the way to earning my A&P when I ran off and joined the circus. A flying circus, if you will. I crewed for Chris Smisson on the airshow circuit through high school and much of college, and in addition to his fast-movers, he had an M20C. Johnson Bar, hand pump flaps. All the latest and greatest gizmos that 1992 had to offer: A BF Goodrich strike finder, Apollo LORAN, even a widget that deciphered morse code to identify the VOR and the radial you were on. It was a great go-somewhere bird. 

He sold a small percentage of the Mooney to a friend, Kelly, so the insurance company would be a little more understanding. When Chris died in 2003, the friend bought the remaining share of the bird. 

IMG_4602.jpg.efcc24721f250dd64ac77c4bb80a0633.jpg

Both of these men were like family. Without their patience and generosity, I'd probably be running a grader for the county road department. There weren't a lot of tickets out of my little hometown for kids without means, but they helped me chase a dream. 

Fast forward two decades. The friend wants to sell the Mooney and make room for other flying machines. He's spent years making ridiculous offers to me whenever he wanted to sell an airplane. He tried to sell me one airplane for $1 years ago but I was making chump change flying RJs for a day job. I couldn't afford insurance on it, much less any real maintenance. I had to say no. 

IMG_4605.jpg.b14e4f9b9f78e9df54b33848dd9fb3d1.jpg

This time, the offer was reasonable, and I'm doing a little better flying A320s for my day job and spinning words into stories for some busywork on the side. I'm becoming the caretaker of a bird that's been in my family of flying friends since 1980. I took my bride for a flight, fully respecting her veto power. "If this just had a headrest, I'd be asleep in no time. Buy this airplane," she said. 

IMG_7738.thumb.jpeg.48bb0eeb352d1b9c0b258ffb4941fcd4.jpeg

So, here we go. 

Hi Guys. My name is Jeremy, and I'm newly owned by a Mooney. 

IMG_4971.jpeg

IMG_4603.jpg

• Like 24
  • Thanks 3

In the hours before signing the papers today, I did a few little housekeeping fixes I'd been putting off for (cough, cough) many years. 

Installed two new fuel gauges in the wing indicators. Those things are cheap, and LASAR was only too willing to sell me a new pair. 

IMG_5116.thumb.jpeg.54ac95f637c7ab9579d316811fca55b9.jpegIMG_5118.thumb.jpeg.225ab74bda80c135059d079425524b36.jpeg58257560125__10D5B330-E98E-4F5E-A6EA-E79716BB3E1D.thumb.jpg.5a1ad5b0a856e594d7c31cc707828e63.jpg

Installed a new landing light circuit breaker switch, and cleaned out the pitot static system. Couple of bugs decided to try and defeat me with their pitot-static nest building skills.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, carusoam said:

Nice to meet you Jeremy...

We’ve been friends for decades! :)

Best regards,

-a-

Always happy to meet an old friend. (Dang, that sounds like something a time-traveler would say). 

If you're ever down near Atlanta, let me know. I'm always glad to meet the friends I already knew. 

• Like 3

In other business, I did crawl under the panel and swap the landing light switch today. It'd morphed from a circuit breaker switch into a 45-second-timer in its (grumble grumble fifteen years more than my age) since original installation. 

Now, my friend Chris picked this bird up a year before I was born. He put a TON Of his time into making it into his traveling machine, but there were more than a few shortcuts he took in the process. He was an ATP, not an A&P, so there will be plenty of chances for me to improve upon the work he put into this bird. 

I ain't saying the main circuit breaker bus scared me, but it dang sure wouldn't impress any mechanic who saw the handiwork of an airline pilot armed with a screwdriver and whatever was in the spares bin at the Navy Flying Club. 

• Haha 1

This bird has the LASAR cowl inlet, and most of their speed mods, other than the clean belly mod to move the antennae inside. 201 windshield and wingtips, gap seals, flap hinge seals. The airframe is about modded-out. There are a few things that need attention outside, but the panel is going to be "The Money Pit." 

I was considering dual Garmin G5s until a friend suggested the Aspen e5. One box to replace both the AI and DG. It talks to legacy nav/comms and GPS units. Over time, I'd love to modernize, but realistically  one box at a time is a more realistic way to go. In time the LORAN boat anchor will give way to a GPS - Maybe an older Garmin 300XL or the new GPS175 if I can swing the expense. 

Anyone got a better suggestion that I've not seen yet? 

IMG_4977.thumb.jpeg.175c4aaab87809e03b6fc4eb95953570.jpeg
IMG_4975.thumb.jpeg.9b3733473c54720a2d3b9387a194aae4.jpegIMG_4873.thumb.jpeg.4afeb4e0c4abdabddbc55dd610d9641d.jpegIMG_4880.thumb.jpeg.ea01136ada0bd8f5dfdcd4c6a76ea5ac.jpeg

• Like 3

Welcome aboard! C models are great, and it's nice to have another one in the neighborhood. 

Best of luck in your upgrades, but check with @Alan Fox for panel stuff. I wouldn't waste the install time & money on any GPS older or less capable than a Garmin430W.

We need another Southeast meetup, maybe this fall when the weather breaks. Our last try, lunch at Pine Mountain, was weathered out by storms in April.

• Like 2

Cool story! That's awesome how you are able to keep flying this plane you have so much history with!

My E just got the E5. I'll give a pirep once I get to fly her a few times.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Hank said:

Welcome aboard! C models are great, and it's nice to have another one in the neighborhood. 

Best of luck in your upgrades, but check with @Alan Fox for panel stuff. I wouldn't waste the install time & money on any GPS older or less capable than a Garmin430W.

We need another Southeast meetup, maybe this fall when the weather breaks. Our last try, lunch at Pine Mountain, was weathered out by storms in April.

There’s the Young Aviators fly in at Triple Tree this weekend (Saturday) for those in the southeast. 

They are billing it as for the young and young at heart. 

Bring a kid that’s into aviation!  

• Like 1

Congrats Jeremy,

i love the belly/underwing paint scheme. Nice looking bird!

Check out https://www.mooneysummit.com/ There is a waiting list for registration this fall, but you’re close to the event location. Great experience with great people and knowledgable presenters.

Looks like you will be a great servant to your new Master...uh Ranger that is.

Steve

1 hour ago, 81X said:

There’s the Young Aviators fly in at Triple Tree this weekend (Saturday) for those in the southeast. 

They are billing it as for the young and young at heart. 

Bring a kid that’s into aviation!  

By the time I can hold weekends off, I'll be in the "young at heart" category. If I ever get my hangar built, I'll host Wednesday fly-ins for junior airline pilots. 

41 minutes ago, Shadrach said:

Nice story and a cool looking bird!  That panel is still very flyable. I like the placement of the second NAV indicator...makes it easier for right seaters to fly the ILS.:D

It's not so much a "scan" as it is a "panoramic gaze!"

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Just now, steingar said:

I second the putting in a good new box.  I put in an old one and have just a tinge of regret.  Also, what's your plan for autopilot?

What, the PC wing leveler isn't an autopilot? I'm just a vacuum leak away from getting it sorted. (Says every PC owner, ever).

I don't have a good autopilot plan yet. I haven't seen concrete information yet - But I'll admit to not having done a whole lot of searching on the topic. Will the TrueTrak Mooney STC include C models?  

It's a priority, just a very low priority. 

34 minutes ago, Pasturepilot said:

It's not so much a "scan" as it is a "panoramic gaze!"

“Sawed-off” shotgun panel?  ;)

Awesome story, awesome plane! 

Since you appear to have two good working radios, maybe a Garmin 175 or 375?  The old GPS units just dont make sense anymore.

Trutrak will include the Cs

Edited by DXB
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, DXB said:

“Sawed-off” shotgun panel?  ;)

Awesome story, awesome plane! 

Since you appear to have two good working radios, maybe a Garmin 175 or 375?  The old GPS units just dont make sense anymore.

I'm leaning toward the GPS175. 

I do need to get the #2 NAV looked at. It seems to be on strike. Or just lazy. Possibly deceased. 

9 hours ago, Pasturepilot said:

Hey friends, ...My connection with this M20C goes back a while. I was a mechanically-inclined airport kid, well on the way to earning my A&P when I ran off and joined the circus. A flying circus,...Hi Guys. My name is Jeremy, and I'm newly owned by a Mooney. 

Best first post ever!  WELCOME Pasturepilot and CONGRATULATIONS!!!

• Like 4

35 minutes ago, Pasturepilot said:

I'm leaning toward the GPS175. 

Welcome aboard! I am about 45 Mooney minutes to the west of you in Pell City, AL (KPLR).

You did not say whether or not you were 2020 ADS-B compliant, so if not, I would recommend the 375 rather than the 175. Kill a couple birds with one box.

10 minutes ago, Oldguy said:

Welcome aboard! I am about 45 Mooney minutes to the west of you in Pell City, AL (KPLR).

You did not say whether or not you were 2020 ADS-B compliant, so if not, I would recommend the 375 rather than the 175. Kill a couple birds with one box.

I've flown this Mooney over to PLR a couple times, years ago, for lunches at Sammy's. 

I do have an ADS-B Solution installed. So I can skip that part. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Pasturepilot said:

What, the PC wing leveler isn't an autopilot? I'm just a vacuum leak away from getting it sorted. (Says every PC owner, ever).

I don't have a good autopilot plan yet. I haven't seen concrete information yet - But I'll admit to not having done a whole lot of searching on the topic. Will the TrueTrak Mooney STC include C models?  

It's a priority, just a very low priority. 

Brittain products are bullet proof and easy to maintain.  I have some extra bits lying around if you run into an issue.

• Like 1