Vent left open

201Steve

On my '65, there is a metal airbox with a drain tube out the aft end which drains down the left side of the fuselage.  Like anthony said, test the vent and see if water drains out the bottom.  If not, the water is going somewhere.  :o

• Like 1

I also took off once without a fuel cap....that fell off the wing and onto the ramp.  I also forgot to pull the cowl plugs out after a winter lunch.  (They were/are wrapped around prop so I knew of error in a hurry).  In summary “it” happens.  Live and learn.  I put a cabin cover on when outside overnight.  Seems to keep cabin cooler...Is an extra step for prying eyes...and likely repels some water from cabin vents and front avionics access panels.

• Like 1

Lol  love the responses  

it’s just... I haven’t had her long, and I’m maniaccaly obsessed with corrosion and rust. I’m too scared to wet wash it, even. As they say, a Mooney is built like a tank but there’s one thing that’ll ruin it.

I have a Bruce Cover, but I only left for a $100 hamburger when... oil return line started leaking and I was grounded till morning. The moral of the story is... take your cover anyways. 

1 hour ago, ArtVandelay said:

Where exactly, you only see the small section by the vent?

Tom

Yes there.  Work it in.  capillary action will take care of the rest.   It's only a couple of feet long.   Besides what you see is the part that gets wet.

5 hours ago, RogueOne said:

I also took off once without a fuel cap....that fell off the wing and onto the ramp. 

I've done that, too- twice!  Worst way to waste $40 in 100LL that I can think of!

(I swear I thought a guy named Scott around here did the same thing.  Maybe a different guy.)

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1