Post-Oshkosh Trip Ideas

On 6/18/2019 at 10:36 AM, Becca said:

Soliciting ideas for a post-Oshkosh trip.  Our route is DC-OSH-DC.  We plan on leaving Oshkosh on Wednesday or Thursday of the air show.  We're need to be back in D.C. maybe Monday, so we have 4 days.  If it were up to me, I'd just make it a whole week at Oshkosh, but dear husband says he'll be fed up of camping and will have fully-shopped all the Pavilions by then and would like a nice hotel or B&B to recuperate in.  I thought maybe Mackinaw Island, but am worried that that's more like a one-day destination not a 4 day destination.  Other ideas within a couple hundred miles of our route?  (We're not ruling out destinations in Canada either, we have Canpass and are comfortable making the border crossings).

Hi Becca,

Glad you and @jetdriven will be at Oshkosh again. My plane has its engine out an apart so Shawn and I are going to try to bring up a trailer and camp at the field (if we can get an improved space). We aren't coming up until 7/26 and are staying the weekend, probably leaving Sunday night or Monday, hopefully we can get a chance to say "hi" to you guys again if you are still there. 

Love to have more input from folks who fly NA planes in the West or know some of these layover towns and cities.

Grandson Ben (17) will be right seat photographer and traveling companion.

Day 1 Oshkosh to Custer County SD with stops in St. Paul MN and Fargo ND. ~ 5 hours flying.

Day 2 visit Mt. Rushmore and environs then to Bozeman MT ~ 2-½ hours flying

Day 3 to Salt Lake City UT with stops in Idaho Falls ID and Wells NV, ~ 3-½ hours flying

Day 4 to Denver CO with stop in Laramie WY ~ 3 hours flying

Day 5 to Kansas City KS with stop in York NE ~ 3-½ flying

Day 6 to Stow MA with a stop in Sandusky OH ~ 7-½ hours flying - should be less with a prevailing tail wind.

6B6-S24-KMSN-KOSH-KSTP-KFAR-KCUT-KBZN-KIDA-KLWL-KSLC-KLAR-KBJC-KJYR-KMKC-S24-6B6

Just north of Idaho Falls is Rexburg. It's a nice little airport with a fun little museum if it's open. Not sure if they are open all the time, we were there when they had their pancake breakfast so got to see it. He has some vintage planes and an A-4 from when the Blue Angels flew them. The coolest part is the displays of uniforms and Firearms from the Revolutionary War through present day. 

• Like 1

Bob,

I use to fly a C-172 from Helena to West Yellowstone, along with other places all over the state.  I was a PP only at the time.  As long as the weather is nice, your leg from Bozeman to Idaho Falls will be pretty easy.  I would still fly toward Ennis and then down the valley.  You can then fly over Quake Lake and then of course you would be missing out if you don't fly a lap around Yellowstone NP.  I had my Mooney in that area a couple of years ago.  The min IFR out of Helena was 13,000 for my route.  That was three of us plus one dog and our luggage.

In Bozeman the Museum of the Rockies is well worth a visit.  If you were to stop in West Yellowstone they have the Grizzly Encounter and IMAX, just outside the park.

• Like 1

Bob,
I use to fly a C-172 from Helena to West Yellowstone, along with other places all over the state.  I was a PP only at the time.  As long as the weather is nice, your leg from Bozeman to Idaho Falls will be pretty easy.  I would still fly toward Ennis and then down the valley.  You can then fly over Quake Lake and then of course you would be missing out if you don't fly a lap around Yellowstone NP.  I had my Mooney in that area a couple of years ago.  The min IFR out of Helena was 13,000 for my route.  That was three of us plus one dog and our luggage.
In Bozeman the Museum of the Rockies is well worth a visit.  If you were to stop in West Yellowstone they have the Grizzly Encounter and IMAX, just outside the park.

88a11295498b7875622220e1e30c4b77.jpg

I like it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

6 hours ago, revwatch said:

Have any of you guys done KCUT - KDUB - KWYS or something similar?

KCUT to KDUB would be ok as long as the winds from the west were not too high.  With DUB being just east of the mountains turbulence could be pretty bad.  

The trip from DUB to WYS...you would need to spiral climb to 12000' MSL to clear the mountains.  If there is any weather at all, DUB does not have any approaches, a 7300 MSL runway with a note about non-standard traffic patterns due to terrain.  With conservative planning, good weather, and a little mountain flying experience it is doable.

• Like 1

On 6/18/2019 at 11:36 AM, Becca said:

Soliciting ideas for a post-Oshkosh trip.  Our route is DC-OSH-DC

Almost directly on your route —Carol and I went to Pittsburgh last July.  We spent three nights in an elegant B&B set up in a 19th century mansion.   Pittsburgh has become a foodie destination, there are excellent museums and gardens.  The city is awash in flowers in midsummer.  KAGC is convenient and has several good FBOs.  

I like Sandusky way better than Norwalk.  I like Port Clinton (PCW) better yet still.  Nice little diner on the field and a cool little museum as well.  Of course I like Put in Bay (3C2) better than either of those.  Of course, 3W2 is only about 2700 feet, far too short for a Mooney :rolleyes:

• Like 1

Just now, Bob_Belville said:
4 minutes ago, kpaul said:
[mention=8913]Bob_Belville[/mention]  I made this plan to hit the 48 contiguous states.  Basically, the same distance as you are planning now.

That’s funny.

Here is the route I had, it started and ended in Florida.

54J VKS KTVR KAWM KDYR 1M7 KUUV KCBF KMLE KRSL KGUY KDHT KLXV KANK KBDG AZC 67L 3O8 KOVE 7S9 KSFF KCOE KHLN W43 KBWP KOSH KUGN KGYY KDUH KPHD KHLG KAGC KALB KDDH KCON KSFM KLWM KSFZ KBDR KMJX KGED KCGE KRMN KFFA KOGB KDBN 54J

• Like 1

15 hours ago, carusoam said:

Kevin,

how many days did you plan to fly the 48state trip?

This is starting to sound really interesting...  :)

Best regards,

-a-

I actually had not made it that far into planning.  I put it together while I was deployed overseas and had a little free time on my hands.  My goal was to just find a way to land at a minimum of one airport in each state.  It would be a post retirement trip, when hopefully time is irrelevant.

• Like 1

I actually had not made it that far into planning.  I put it together while I was deployed overseas and had a little free time on my hands.  My goal was to just find a way to land at a minimum of one airport in each state.  It would be a post retirement trip, when hopefully time is irrelevant.

7db423889222dde59abefc98c8c4f872.jpg

I think this version hits every state west of the Mississippi except OK, TX which I’ve already visited many times. Fewer terrain challenges and similar distance.

Bob, when you overfly Yellowstone if you follow the main road through the park you will see most everything. The rest of the park is beautiful, but just forests and streams. You don't want to miss out on Grand Prismatic which is right off the main road. We did this a couple of years ago (still need to post pictures) but here are a few from that trip. We came into the park from the west, big storms near the Tetons and in Jackson Hole, and flew east to Yellowstone lake before following the road out to the west side of the park.

Yellowstone Lake
IMG_9104.thumb.jpg.d75e6e98a6985d64013e18ea01206fec.jpg

Old Faithful - Not too exciting from the air
IMG_9125.thumb.jpg.08c70a6a12aa36f4b38d2eef4794e293.jpg

Sunset Lake, Rainbow Pool, and Emerald Pool
IMG_9139.thumb.jpg.231f66f46ca47e6cf98cd7d07c0d2700.jpg

Perhaps the most beautiful from the air, Grand Prismatic
IMG_9159.thumb.jpg.7c9ea81e014baf7c38f9c96a6d8f277a.jpg

• Like 3

On 6/26/2019 at 10:04 PM, Bob_Belville said:

[mention=14491]kpaul[/mention], my latest plan is to overfly Yellowstone east to west. I assume that will mean a headwind and I wonder if mountain a mountain wave is likely on the 60 nm crossing from KCOD to Yellowstone Lake?

@Bob_Belville  I have been watching this closely as I plan to do a similar trip before Osh. Currently planning KDSM, KRAP (although I'll have a look at KCUT now) then into KWYS. We are currently thinking about going into KWYS from the north (via KBIL) and out west-to-east through the park to KCOD, depending on the wx. I'm still trying to figure out the KCOD to KMSN bit. If your trip is organized as well as you and Nancy organized the MAG clinic I might need to scrap my plans and just copy what you do!

@Skates97 thanks for the pics and tips. We will plan to follow the main road as you suggest. Any other tips / advice would be very welcome.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 65C_flier said:
[mention=8913]Bob_Belville[/mention]  I have been watching this closely as I plan to do a similar trip before Osh. Currently planning KDSM, KRAP (although I'll have a look at KCUT now) then into KWYS. We are currently thinking about going into KWYS from the north (via KBIL) and out west-to-east through the park to KCOD, depending on the wx. I'm still trying to figure out the KCOD to KMSN bit. If your trip is organized as well as you and Nancy organized the MAG clinic I might need to scrap my plans and just copy what you do!

I talked to Brendon Hendrickson the airport manager at KCUT. They have a camping area on the field and we'll have access to the pilot lounge. There's also a local car rental company that will bring a car out to the field. We plan to visit Mt. Rushmore. There's no instrument approaches though they're working on one. 

My route is still in flux. Last night Gorilla pointed out that we're passing near his home drome and invited us to stop by so I moved our OK stop to KELK. 

4842313c41a3ffe7ec11a2352e8b26ac.jpg