What Ever Happened To_

cliffy

Years ago there was a tank seal system that relied on a slight vacuum ( 1/2 psi IIRC) and a red fluid was introduced by syringe drop by drop to the outside of the leaking rivets and it dried in the hole to seal the leak. The red fluid was suspected to be red locktite fluid. 

Anyone know what ever happened to that system?

http://www.aerotriminc.com/id55.html

There were a few things that aero trim had...

But I don’t see it listed on their site.

I have old fuzzy memories recalling the sealing of leaky rivets possibly using a large syringe for delivery, but haven’t seen anything other than typical sealants in the last decade...

PP thoughts only, not a mechanic...

Best regards,

-a-

“The Mooney Miser” offered a tank seal system for slight leaks, leaks at the stain-only severity. He sold a Loctite type adhesive.  His instructions said to pull a slight vacuum (about 5” of water, not Hg!) on an empty fuel tank and apply his materials to the outside of the tank in the area of the staining.  Theory was the vacuum would suck the adhesive into the leaking area and it would stick there, plugging the seep. 

• Like 1

It was a good idea for minor leaks if you knew where the leak was.  It was hit or miss for leaks where the fuel migrated and it was not a distinct spot.  I tried it on my wing root leak at the time and couldn’t nail down the spot.  I imagine it would have worked well on a rivet leak.  I suspect there are alternate methods to achieve the same, but he had an STC on the kit...

1 hour ago, Awful_Charlie said:

I expect the red stuff was PR1005 "sloshing sealant"

It is not. PR1005 is way too viscous for this application (it’s like working with thinned out snot). The product in question is called Aeroseal and is STC’d. Aeroseal is a Cyanoacrylate (think loc-tite or super glue) that cures rapidly in the absence of oxygen (anaerobic). It supposedly is drawn in to the void where a leak occurs and then sets sealing said void.

Don’t know if it is still available. The inventor went west about a decade ago but someone is still hosting the site.

http://www.aerotriminc.com/id2.html

Edited by Shadrach

1 hour ago, Shadrach said:

Or just use the thing that is used on engines for screws/bolts that is known to be hydrocarbon repellent.   Permatex 3 which is also aviation specific.

35 minutes ago, Yetti said:

Or just use the thing that is used on engines for screws/bolts that is known to be hydrocarbon repellent.   Permatex 3 which is also aviation specific.

I have some permatex 3 I’m not sure how flexible it is once cured.

6 hours ago, Shadrach said:

It is not. PR1005 is way too viscous for this application (it’s like working with thinned out snot). The product in question is called Aeroseal and is STC’d. Aeroseal is a Cyanoacrylate (think loc-tite or super glue) that cures rapidly in the absence of oxygen (anaerobic). It supposedly is drawn in to the void where a leak occurs and then sets sealing said void.

Don’t know if it is still available. The inventor went west about a decade ago but someone is still hosting the site.

http://www.aerotriminc.com/id2.html

Rumor has it Norm repackaged Loctite 290 as Aeroseal, but who am I to know.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Andy95W said:

Don Maxwell says to use Permatex #3 on the screws, FWIW.

I had a leaking screw on the wing walk stiffener/brace and Permatex 3 aviation fixed that really quick. 

• 1 year later...
23 minutes ago, FlyingDude said:

Can permatex 3 and loctite 290 be easily removed like the rest of the prc glue when it's time for a complete reseal?

Permatex 3 can.   It's one of those things that never really hardens.

• Thanks 1