Benefits to removing old antennas?

MS friends - I recently had an EDM900 installed and cleaned up the panel a bit by removing an old LORAN, electronic remote compass, the garwin gauges, etc.   I was under the plane and noted that I  I have an old ADF antenna on the belly.  I also noted that i have an old LORAN antenna up top.  Will I gain any discernible speed improvement by removing these antennas?

They don't leak or cause me any issues.  And, I don't think they weigh a whole lot either. Am I making extra work for myself or is the juice worth the squeeze? 

r,

brian

LORAN 2.jpg

LORAN.jpg

They occupy a space that will be better used by the next GPS device...

The old ADF antenna probably weighs a few pounds by itself...

There are driving forces to get rid of them, the question is when... kill two birds with one annual stone... :)

PP thoughts only, not a mechanic...

Best regards,

-a-

Mine were removed last year for the same reason.   The Loran antenna particularly generates some stress on the mount area that isn't doing anything for you.   They sure ain't helping in either the weight or drag departments.

Kept my DME antenna for the ADS-B-in, but got rid of everything else.

• Like 1

I removed the ADF antenna on mine a while ago but left the Loran on top as a place saver for a future GPS antenna rather than remove it and cover the holes. When I put in the GTX-335 the Loran antenna came out and the GA35 took its place.

Most of my antiquated stuff is gone but I still have a marker beacon antenna.  I have never the signal go off.  I'm told these transmitters still exist some places, but GPS replaces the need to identify these fixes by radio...

It’s just another example of poor maintenance when orphaned parts are left behind even though the logs and W&B show that the system was removed.

Be sure that you remove all of the old coax cables and wires as well, it all adds unwanted weight.

Clarence