WD-40 uses

I was bored today so I was reading 2000 uses of WD40 on the internet.  A couple of uses I particular took notice was to spray it on exterior house windows prior to a snow storm and the snow won't stick to the windows.  It also weather proofs and prevents snow sticking to shoes or boots.  It made me think maybe it might have benefits by spraying WD40 on your wings prior to flying in IMC conditions.  I did read WD-40 will not harm paint.  As I'm typing this I somewhat recall of a old timer pilot telling me he would spray Pam on his wing tips prior to his cross country flights.  He claimed it would give him a couple of knot of cruise.

You guys flying off pavement probably don’t kill as many bugs as us turf guys but I find that a little spritz of WD40 on the prop blades after each flight and then a quick wipe with a paper towel takes the bugs right off. They don’t seem to stick very well to the treated surface. 

• Like 2

1) Anti-ice

2) Water Displacement

3) Lube remover

4) Cleaner

5) Magical elixir 

6) Somewhat harmless

7) Not proven for anything related to flight

8) José liked it a lot, P-tube flush agent :)

9) There must be some good for it...

10) being a solvent, I wouldn’t use it on paint that I like... I cleaned every belly panel of my M20C at annual with it.

11) I used it to wash hardware before re-using it... sheet metal screws and machine screws...

PP thoughts only not a mechanic...

Best regards,

-a-

16 minutes ago, takair said:

Here is the thread I was thinking about.  I think it rules out Wd-40 as an anti ice agent. 

https://mooneyspace.com/topic/20134-hydrophobic-coating-as-anti-ice/page/2/?tab=comments#comment-303478

I should of searched Mooneyspace prior to posting.  I'm convinced WD-40 has no benefit.  Now I need data on Pam cooking spray given me 2 knots of speed increase.   

• Like 1

It's namesake purpose is Water Dispersant (WD), so helping keep ice/snow at bay isn't too far off the mark.   It is good for a lot of stuff, and many people do use it as a light lubricant, but ymmv.

As a PP, I beg to differ...   :) (most PPs have solid chemistry backgrounds right?)

Dispersing would be more good... than solely displacing.

But their wiki claims the D comes from displacing...

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/WD-40#History

Wikis Are core to the accuracy of web info...

Dispersing would be interesting on another level... unfortunately WD40 doesn’t displace very well at all, and disperses even less...

Those dang hydrogen bonds bind all that water together...

PP thoughts only, trying to make some chemistry fun... almost as good as discussing the Mooney-Rivlin equation... but that is more ChE than chemistry... :)

Best regards,

-a-

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On ‎6‎/‎16‎/‎2019 at 10:59 PM, carusoam said:

Pam come in different flavors for baking or frying...

Something to consider when harvesting proteins from the leading edge...

:)

-a-

Butter pam increases your total weight.  You have to use the low fat stuff to go faster. :D 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

7 hours ago, Hyett6420 said:

Lube remover, REALLY?  We talking about the same type of Lube, :)

Depends on what you lube your tool with...

An example... the rod bearings are supposed to be lubed with a particular oil...

The unknowing new owner thinks WD40 makes a good lubricant...he sprays all of his rod bearings with the WD40... nicely washing away what was left of the lubricant that was in there originally...

As a new owner... Pre MS was tougher than post MS...

Best regards,

-a-

• Like 2

Expect that water proofing something would require displacement... put WD40 on it... the water gets displaced, beads up and rolls away... the displacing material can work without washing away for a long time...

Dispersion is more like improving mixing and dissolving... like using soap to disperse oil in water...  oil was happy floating on top... but got dissolved and spread out, dispersing everywhere... the dispersant gets used up while it works...

The chemistry of soap is interesting... hydrophilic on one end, hydrophobic on the other end of the same molecule... one end likes water, the other end likes oil...

Try using this in conversation at work...   :)

Best regards,

-a-

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
21 hours ago, 320KPH said:

a mate told me he used it for sticking on motorcycle hand grips, I didn't believe him until I tried it.

Spray the inside of the grip, slide it on and the next day the grip is like it's almost glued  on the handlebar!

Confirmed. It works. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/6/2019 at 2:51 PM, 320KPH said:

a mate told me he used it for sticking on motorcycle hand grips, I didn't believe him until I tried it.

Spray the inside of the grip, slide it on and the next day the grip is like it's almost glued  on the handlebar!

3M 777 spray is better for Grips.   Now WD-40 is good for squeaky V fan belts.