Insight CHT/EGT indication unknown

Dennis Long

I’m new to the forum and also a new part owner of a Mooney M20E, after owning Bonanzas for 20 years. Yesterday, we flew the Mooney to lunch, with the Insight display presenting normal CHT and EGT temperatures. After approximately 45 minutes, after lunch we fired up the plane and after allowing the instruments to settle saw a display on the Insight that we are not able to understand. No doubt, the instrument is telling us something, but what ? The engine ran fine, with a slightly higher drop between mags on the RPM check. I’ve looked at the Insight manual on line, but cannot find any specific theoretical problem presented, like ours, but I do see several problem/solutions for other CYT/EGT indications.

https://n7du.files.wordpress.com/2011/01/gem-guide.pdf

Anyone who has had experience with this indication and what it is telling us would be greatly appreciated. 

Dennis

756ABFC7-5DE2-4C1C-8B53-C899C3545F02.jpeg

12 hours ago, Dennis Long said:

I’m new to the forum and also a new part owner of a Mooney M20E, after owning Bonanzas for 20 years. Yesterday, we flew the Mooney to lunch, with the Insight display presenting normal CHT and EGT temperatures. After approximately 45 minutes, after lunch we fired up the plane and after allowing the instruments to settle saw a display on the Insight that we are not able to understand. No doubt, the instrument is telling us something, but what ? The engine ran fine, with a slightly higher drop between mags on the RPM check. I’ve looked at the Insight manual on line, but cannot find any specific theoretical problem presented, like ours, but I do see several problem/solutions for other CYT/EGT indications.

https://n7du.files.wordpress.com/2011/01/gem-guide.pdf

Anyone who has had experience with this indication and what it is telling us would be greatly appreciated. 

Dennis

756ABFC7-5DE2-4C1C-8B53-C899C3545F02.jpeg

Try Jim at Insight Avionics techsupport@insightavionics.com

Clarence

If you find a helpful insight contact...

Invite then to join MS...

We have an EI contact that likes to support their products.

It doesn’t seem that JPI likes to come around.

It would be good to have an insight person to share their... insight.  

:)

-a-

Does the instrument normally show all 4 bar graphs?  If so, I would suspect an issue with the wiring harness since it isn't reading 3 of the probes.  This is one of the reasons I went with the Insight G1 and now G2 in my J.  The newer G series have a probe diagnostic screen that will tell you if a probe is not connected or has high resistance.  That makes it easier to determine if it's a gauge issue or an engine problem.  The great thing about Insight is you can upgrade from your 601 to a G1-G4 and use the same harness for CHT/EGT.  The higher up you go in the product line adds more features.  I am currently flying a G2 which gives me EGT/CHT, Fuel Flow, OAT and bus volt, plus logs the data to the SD card for post flight review.  Might be worth considering.  

Caruso.... I’ll certainly ask if someone at Insight would be interested to join Mooneyspace. That’s a good idea to have resident experts in-house, so to speak. 

Lotsofgadgets, gsxrpilot and elimansour.... an upgrade would be nice and it makes sense  especially because it’s almost plug and play . Yes, all 4 bars normally worked and we had no problems  I hope it’s a wiring harness issue, but because it died all at once makes that probability unlikely  

I’ll  shoot an email to tech support, like was suggested and hopefully get an answer  I’ll report back  

thanks to everyone

dennis

• Like 1