Best Garmin Avionics shop in the North East?

I am looking to purchase an old M20j in the North East... Will upgrade avionics with G3X, GFC500, GNX375 and GNC255. 

Would be grateful for feedback on the best Garmin Avionic shops in the area (and I know... Need to be available too)

Thanks 

• Like 1

That will be a fine panel when you are done.  

Most good avionics shops are booked into 2020.  Even the not-so-good ones are busy.  

Since your plane will be in the avionics shop for months (possibly  3 to 6)  you could expand your search area by say 500 nmi, a reasonable flight in the M20J. 

That will greatly expand your list of shops.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Wingdude said:

I am looking to purchase an old M20j in the North East... Will upgrade avionics with G3X, GFC500, GNX375 and GNC255. 

Would be grateful for feedback on the best Garmin Avionic shops in the area (and I know... Need to be available too)

Thanks 

Where are located and where will the plane be based, assuming you close a deal?

Steve

I'm NY based with a 231.  Right now I'm not even doing the G5 HSI replacement until 2020. Everyone seems to be backed up.  

But here's my shortlist:

- I've heard good things about Lancaster Avionics and they're close enough in PA for me to monitor the work.  http://www.lancasteravionics.com

- Or you could just take the plane to Florida for Sarasota Avionics.  http://sarasotaavionics.com

NOTE:  I haven't had any work done by any of these two - but have had quotes from Sarasota and 3rd party referrals to Lancaster.  As an electronics engineer avionics is something I'm very uptight and picky about, so I've been doing my due diligence for a while and interested to hear what you conclude too.

PS:  With that kind of avionics in your future plane, you better start looking for hangar space. Possibly the most expensive/tricky part of aircraft ownership in this area :-)

Edited by pwnel
  • Like 2

I had two M20K at Threewing in KBDR. Quality of avionic work was very good. Thinking ahead also behind the panel was the part that I like most. Also after finishing the job it was not a back and forth to resolve glitches. Everything worked well if I got the planes back. I checked several times during the work to get the progress and get aquality impression.  They are not the cheapest with $105 per hour but the quality is there. They also a GARMIN dealer. If you like you can talk to Jared. Can't speak about the utilization but why not using the winter month. Maybe you are lucky and they have still a winter spot for you.

IMG_4571.jpg

panel mooney.jpg

• Like 1

4 hours ago, pwnel said:

I'm NY based with a 231.  Right now I'm not even doing the G5 HSI replacement until 2020. Everyone seems to be backed up.  

But here's my shortlist:

- I've heard good things about Lancaster Avionics and they're close enough in PA for me to monitor the work.  http://www.lancasteravionics.com

- Or you could just take the plane to Florida for Sarasota Avionics.  http://sarasotaavionics.com

NOTE:  I haven't had any work done by any of these two - but have had quotes from Sarasota and 3rd party referrals to Lancaster.  As an electronics engineer avionics is something I'm very uptight and picky about, so I've been doing my due diligence for a while and interested to hear what you conclude too.

PS:  With that kind of avionics in your future plane, you better start looking for hangar space. Possibly the most expensive/tricky part of aircraft ownership in this area :-)

Great feedback. Thank you. 

2 hours ago, flumag said:

I had two M20K at Threewing in KBDR. Quality of avionic work was very good. Thinking ahead also behind the panel was the part that I like most. Also after finishing the job it was not a back and forth to resolve glitches. Everything worked well if I got the planes back. I checked several times during the work to get the progress and get aquality impression.  They are not the cheapest with $105 per hour but the quality is there. They also a GARMIN dealer. If you like you can talk to Jared. Can't speak about the utilization but why not using the winter month. Maybe you are lucky and they have still a winter spot for you.

IMG_4571.jpg

panel mooney.jpg

Your panel looks amazing. Thank you. Will let you know how I go. 

Tha aircraft I looked today probably has too much corrosion 

WD,

What plane are you planning on this work for?

It helps if you include that in your avatar data...

StevenL has an amazing panel if you want an example of A great Ovation... he also included the steps involved from panel layout to antenna farm.

Best regards,

-a-

• Like 1

7 hours ago, carusoam said:

WD,

What plane are you planning on this work for?

It helps if you include that in your avatar data...

StevenL has an amazing panel if you want an example of A great Ovation... he also included the steps involved from panel layout to antenna farm.

Best regards,

-a-

Np. Profile now updated. 

I have previously owned quite a few aircraft including a J. 

The J I was looking at over the weekend is not suitable - too much corrosion and body work. 

I kitesurf and work remotely, want a clean J or R that I can leave at various fields in the Carribean, Brazil or Italy. And upgrade the avionics with the new Garmin G3X, GFC500, GNX375 and GNC255. 

• Like 2

WD,

See if your kite surfing gear can fit in the O...

The rear seats fold near flat, the baggage area is longer than your J experience...

Lots more space than the J...

For light stuff... the back wall has been known to be modified for people looking to allow skis and fishing rods to extend into avionics bay.

For the best UL of all Long Bodies, look for the screamin’ Eagle... 310hp, NA, 1,100# UL...

PP thoughts only,

-a-

On 6/16/2019 at 1:55 PM, jackn said:

hI used Ken at Precision Avionics at KPOU in Poughkeepsie. Great job at a fair price. Easy to get to from NYC on MetroNorth. 

I also used Ken at POU, he did my G5 HSI and GTX335.  I have not had any issues.  Some shops are so busy with compliance they didn't even respond to me.  I liked that Ken was a Mooney owner himself and was very responsive.  Great experience, turns out his wife and daughter both pilots and AP also work at the business.  IMO having AP who is also a pilot makes be think they would take more care in their work. I didn't know they were also pilots until I picked up my J.  This is a generalization, absolutely there are great mechanics who are not pilots.   Was a quick Uber ride to his shop. My J was in March--his hanger is heated.  

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

About to buy a M20F - in the next few months, it will need a need fresh 2nd radio and updated audio panel. Any other recommendations for shops? So far people have suggested Sarasota; ThreeWing; Precision; SMART; and Islip. Lancaster too, but they are booked until March (6 months!).

Any other recommendations?

My Bonanza is in the middle of an upgrade at Daytona Aviation Services, who is located in Daytona Beach FL, ironically enough. Been very pleased with the process so far, they gave me a very competitive quote, and they have the ability to do almost everything needed for a new panel in house. Every avionics shop I spoke to the Northeast either was extremely overpriced, ghosted me in the middle of the quote process, or never responded to any of my inquiries. I am based in NH, so it was a bit of a schlep getting the airplane to them, but so far its been worth it. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, FlyingCanuck said:

About to buy a M20F - in the next few months, it will need a need fresh 2nd radio and updated audio panel. Any other recommendations for shops? So far people have suggested Sarasota; ThreeWing; Precision; SMART; and Islip. Lancaster too, but they are booked until March (6 months!).

if in Florida... Jesse Saint (an MSer) has a nice avionics shop... I visited one day... saw a Mooney being worked on...

@Jesse Saint...

There are some tax advantages of doing work in FL...

Best regards,

-a-

• Like 2

On 10/27/2020 at 1:31 PM, FlyingCanuck said:

Islip Avionics without a doubt.  I've had experiences with a couple of the ones you listed, and can tell you that Islip shines well above them.  Based on the work you indicated, Rick and his crew can get you in within a reasonable timeframe...certainly nowhere near 6 months.  They've worked on many Mooneys - from simple upgrades to full panel overhauls.  They will treat you fairly, will treat the airplane exceptionally well, and are some of the most ethical people I've worked with.  They work very hard, set reasonable expectations, and communicate with you regularly on progress.  Website below.

http://islipavionics.com/

If interested, happy to pass your name/info to them and do an intro.  Let me know either way.

Steve

On 10/27/2020 at 1:31 PM, FlyingCanuck said:

I used Smart Avionics for my G5 and GFC500 install.  They are great.  Every good shop is going to be booked out.  Get a slot with Ben and wait your turn.  He finished on time on budget and did a great job.  The pile of wires he pulled the last guy left in there (that was indeed paid to remove old wiring) was remarkable.