Flashlights

If you use a hand held flashlight, I've found ones that have an adjustable beam are more helpful for preflighting.  If you open up the beam to the widest setting, you can see more and the beam is less intense, which affects your night vision less than a narrow, powerful beam.

Bright flashlights are awesome, until you get in the plane, I use the home screen light from my phone and it works good. Always have the flashlight app or the streamlight if needed, also have a red lens cover but never use it

On 6/15/2019 at 11:12 PM, carusoam said:

Objectively speaking maglights are garbage flashlights.  They are tough as far as the steel shell goes.  Make a good night stick.  But as far as a flash light they suck.  The beam has the "maglight" glob in the center.  They arent very bright.  The bulbs poof when you drop them.  The lens technology is 50 years old and wasnt anything special back then.  The spin to adjust just makes the beam wonky.

Don't get me wrong.  I have a couple.  But there are really way better flashlights out there for the same price.  Mag lights just have that nostalgia from my boy scout days.

Turtle,

The mini-mag is all that, but takes up much less space... and not as good when used as a night stick... :)

It turns out, my flash light needs became less and less over time... no preFlights in the dark anymore... my bird lives indoors with a set of lights...

Working on a project yesterday required a flashlight in broad daylight... the handy iPhone was ready and quick, and readily available... and could fit better in the space than my head... a flashlight, with a video camera!

This was an automotive challenge... a find out where all the brake fluid went exercise... a simple $50 part that disabled one of my land based vehicles...

Best regards,

-a-

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/25/2019 at 8:13 AM, Parker_Woodruff said:

Is there any documentation on rechargeables?

I know if I put a couple AAs in a flash light and throw it in a drawer in a year or 2 Ill probably still get some light.  If I turn off my phone and throw it in a closet for a year or 2 im pretty sure it will be dead.

For a light I use a lot Im ok with rechargeable but for the family light in case of emergency I stick with regular batteries.  

Im not sure this is still valid though.

The avionics guys had usb recharging versions of coast inspection lights ($50).  I have a two coast AAA inspection lights and a heavier AA flashlight of the same brand.  The later is my go to.  

I also have the mini AA versions of the Bauer brand inspection light from HF. It’s $6, brighter and longer lasting than the $30 big Larry I have.  

Been my mainstay for 8+ years.

SureFire Minimus Variable Output LED Headlamp with MaxVision Reflector, Black https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N34RZCH/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_-lmjDb8WBKJW0

I put my batteries in backwards when not in use as well but more so it doesn’t accidentally turn on in drain.   

• Like 1