Flashlights

I am a flashlight junkie. I have no idea how many I have. Unfortunately, I am also a CB and have bought quite a few that looked nice, and originally worked nice. But after some period of time, a bunch of them refuse to turn on without giving them a sharp rap of some kind. I think my new policy is that if the batteries are good, and it doesn't come on, it goes in the trash.

It seems that AA units are the most convenient. What kinds/brands have the group found to be most reliable over time.

• Like 1

I have bought everyone of my technicians one of these from Harbor Freight, usually with a coupon that puts them at $20-25.00.  USB recharging with a replaceable battery.

Clarence

F7B0CF9E-B03D-4C69-BBD2-858BCF993203.jpeg

From when I used to ride bicycles at night there was a bunny retina searing LED that came on the market at Dealextreme.com called a majic shine.   Every year I order some flashlights and sometimes give them away for christmas.    Some of the 1200 lum ones are good for finding the cats in the pasture at night.   One of the bright ones stays in the plane for a back up landing light.   Then a couple of the free led ones from HF also stay in the plane.

Huge Junkie too!!!! I’ve found the cheap ones don’t last. As a tech I couldn’t get by with out my stream light pen lights. The ones with 2 AAA batts works for me. I have 3 black ones. Mag lights used to be the best, no more. 

Move had random off brand Costco specials that are surprisingly good quality. 

Awesome thread!!!

-Matt

• Thanks 1

Streamlite Strion, 1 small (= 2 A s) 1 larger (= 3 C s), pricey at just south of $300 for both. Batteries lasted 7 yrs and the smaller one spent several hours submerged last year when the hangar flooded. 3 functions- bright as hell, almost bright as hell and strobe. The only thing I don't like about most LED's and Lithium batteries is no warning before it shuts off. Several older Maglites in several sizes, but they aren't as rugged as far as rolling off onto the floor, bulb always bites the dust 

Wow! $300 for a pair of flashlights. 

Strangely enough, some of the Harbor Freight "giveaways" seem to be holding up pretty well. But they are 3 AAAs, arranged in a triangle (as opposed to the more conventional 2 AAs in tandem). I like the conventional shape (like mini-Maglites), for no  particular reason other than they fit in a clamp holder better. 

My CB-ness may be showing, but it seems to me that someone ought to be able to make a 2 AA LED flashlight that would last almost forever for under $40.

I will check Costco.

3 minutes ago, DonMuncy said:

Strangely enough, some of the Harbor Freight "giveaways" seem to be holding up pretty well. But they are 3 AAAs, arranged in a triangle (as opposed to the more conventional 2 AAs in tandem). I like the conventional shape (like mini-Maglites), for no  particular reason other than they fit in a clamp holder better. 

My CB-ness may be showing, but it seems to me that someone ought to be able to make a 2 AA LED flashlight that would last almost forever for under $40.

I will check Costco.

I have 4 or 5 of the HF give-a-ways as well, didn't mention them as I assumed everyone has at least 1 :D. $300 7yrs ago, hate to think what they go for now.

I keep one head lamp that runs on regular AAA batteries and I keep a crank flashlight just in case for any circumstance. Crank it for half a minute and then it lights up for like half an hour. Less worry about dead batteries.

I will check Costco.

It’s the cheap batteries that usually kill the flashlight because they leak. If storing flashlights for some future use, I use the lithium AAA/AA.
I like the HF ones too, I can put one in my mouth like a cigar and direct the light where I need it.

Tom

1 hour ago, ArtVandelay said:

It’s the cheap batteries that usually kill the flashlight because they leak. If storing flashlights for some future use, I use the lithium AAA/AA.
I like the HF ones too, I can put one in my mouth like a cigar and direct the light where I need it.

Tom

I have no idea if there is a verifiable reason, but someone told me years ago to store the batteries (or at least one of the set) backwards in the flashlight when not in use. I've been doing that for more than 20 years and have not seen a leak, and even the cheapest $1 LED flashlights and their batteries have been ready to go when needed.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, DonMuncy said:

I will check Costco.

These days I've been converting to mostly headlamps.   They keep the hands free, and the varieties and costs and qualities available seem to be quite good.   I have different kinds and styles for different applications, but they mostly come down to the same thing more or less like this:

https://www.amazon.com/Ultra-Bright-CREE-LED-Headlamp/dp/B019MK6DX6/

I keep one in my toolbox, one in my flight bag, etc.   The last ten years I've spent a fair amount of time in old mine tunnels and these get attached to my hard hat.   The one shown has a dimmer control so that you can turn it way down in low light (which increases your ability to see stuff).   Note also the Harbor Freight hand-held.   Only the best.  ;)

eric_in_mine_9-14 900x597.jpg

Edited by EricJ
  • Like 2

Anything Fenix is worth the money. I bought the PD32 one before going to Afghanistan in 2012. Beat the crap out of it there and used it daily. I still carry it with me every day in my flight suit and it works amazingly. That's over 7 years on a single flashlight - I'd say it's worth it. 

https://www.fenix-store.com/fenix-pd32-led-flashlight-2016-edt/

Edited by DualRatedFlyer

Im a Surefire guy. Have about 15 and every car in the family has at least 1 for emergencies. Needs the small 123A batteries , and the older versions don't last very long, but they are compact and bright, and saved my life at least once many years ago!

1 hour ago, icurnmedic said:

Im a Surefire guy. Have about 15 and every car in the family has at least 1 for emergencies. Needs the small 123A batteries , and the older versions don't last very long, but they are compact and bright, and saved my life at least once many years ago!

15 Surefires? Your north of $300, way north...:)

7 hours ago, ArtVandelay said:

Tom

I have lost some to leaky batteries, but probably more due to lack of proper electrical contacts or switches. And the ones that give up when the batteries are good, keep doing it. I take them apart, clean up all the contact points, and they work, but then quit again.

Unless I need a tremendous amount of power, I find headlamps to be far more useful than handhelds.  I pushed my 15year old Black Diamond halogen/incandescent hybrid into household use. I replaced it with a Petzl Actik for back country as well as cockpit use. It can run on AAAs or a rechargeable Li Io. Rated for 60Hrs at 300 lumens (max brightness). 400hrs in low level red light mode. Also has a strobe function. Compact and under 4oz. What’s not to like.

https://www.backcountry.com/petzl-actik-headlamp

16B8FE5E-274D-4E1D-84C5-10E688BB92BF.thumb.jpeg.6c972dc7b13a83848d9378b2586ab945.jpeg

Edited by Shadrach

I have exactly two.  One is a gigantic maglite that I use in scary places.  I figure I could bean someone over the head with it if all else fails.  The other is a cheap LED thing I bought off Amazon.  Its rechargeable battery stays plugged in all the time, and it has yet to fail me.  We have one at home that that stays plugged into the wall, it'sbeent here for many years and still always works when needed.

And with all that I still mostly use my phone.

Securitying brand is a remarkably good quality for dirt cheap.  I originally found them as they are a favorite among many divers now.  I've bought a few more for other uses (including in the plane).  Every time I order (form Amazon), the available models have been different but they have all worked really well.

On 6/16/2019 at 12:07 PM, Shadrach said:

Unless I need a tremendous amount of power, I find headlamps to be far more useful than handhelds.  I pushed my 15year old Black Diamond halogen/incandescent hybrid into household use. I replaced it with a Petzl Actik for back country as well as cockpit use. It can run on AAAs or a rechargeable Li Io. Rated for 60Hrs at 300 lumens (max brightness). 400hrs in low level red light mode. Also has a strobe function. Compact and under 4oz. What’s not to like.

https://www.backcountry.com/petzl-actik-headlamp

or you can do the headlamp with lots of power.   I bought one of these and kind of liking it.

https://www.dx.com/p/rechargeable-led-3000lm-cree-xm-l-t6--2-xpe-headlight-zoom-head-lamp-outdoor-cycling-fishing-light-led-headlamp-white-black-2040622#.XQljYo97mM8

This is one of my all time favorites.  https://www.streamlight.com/en/products/detail/index/protac-2aa

I had one I used all the time.  When working up close it's too bright, but it has a dimmed option availble also in addition to the strobe.  It was not cheap, but it was the best ones I've ever owned.  Unfortuanately, a set of batteries leaked in it and corroded themselves to the aluminum chassis so it ended up in the trash.  I have another one that I really like too that's rechargable.  It's bright enough to be used as a landing light if you needed it.  Ill have to look at it when I get home and let you know what it is.