Homemade Custom Sun Shades

Hey everyone. I just made myself a set of custom fit sun shades and thought I'd make a post to help consolidate some of the other information on the topic I've found on this site. First, I have to thank gsxrpilot & Skates97 for their helpful posts.

As far as materials you need the following:
- Aluminum bubble insulation (available at most hardware stores, lumber yards, and amazon)
- Aluminum tape (for banding the edges of the shades)
- Blue painters tape
- Scissors

Process:
1. Unroll the insulation over the exterior of the window
2. Tape in place with painters tape
3. Cut out sun shade following window edge (re-tape as necessary while cutting)
4. Trim edges/fine tune shape once cut out from main sheet
5. Cut slit down middle of front windscreen and overlap or cut out extra material to accommodate compound window curve
6. Tape seams with aluminum tape
7. Fold aluminum tape over/around edges to add rigidity and prevent tears. 

I also made a step by step how to video: 

Thanks again everyone for making this project possible.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

If you don't tape the edges, the bare edges of the aluminum insulation material can scratch the plexiglass (happened to a friend). Cloth tape is probably better than aluminum tape to tape the edges with something that won't scratch.

I'm using this stuff... I just cut out the shapes for the windows and done. I didn't do anything to the edges. Three years later, no scratching, no tearing. It's just rigid enough to stay in the windows when put there. Easy to roll up and stuff back on the hat rack. And doesn't weigh anything.

456797637_ScreenShot2019-06-17at8_37_04AM.thumb.png.8c58554cf76a8fe6723ba8d3b78f38b5.png1198978224_ScreenShot2019-06-17at8_37_23AM.thumb.png.e78145ffeb4bc4409ac42c76a0ed663f.png