Show Me Your Tail Anchor

MBDiagMan

There was a long thread on the subject of the Mooney SI which was based on and referred to a warning from the prop folks. I think there's testimony there that the engine folks are about as cautious about using their engine eye bolts as the prop folks are about supporting weight on their prop.  

Shops have been using tail weights for as long as there have been Mooneys. I use a tail weight that prevents motion up or down (unlike the floor chain or the engine hoist).

20130824 tail tiedown weight.jpg

• Like 1

On 6/21/2019 at 4:20 PM, MBDiagMan said:

Does anyone know the MSC shops do it!

I use tail weight fastened to the tail tie down anchor as do most I’m sure.  As long as the tail tie down hasn’t been ground thin by contact with the ground there is little danger of breakage in my opinion.

Clarence

On 6/21/2019 at 4:32 PM, Hank said:

You're right. The airframe people say lift by the engine, never mind what the engine maker says, right?  :wacko:

This was posted some time ago.

Clarence

683AD4C3-1EB3-436C-A6CD-36268A1F9BE3.jpeg

On 6/15/2019 at 3:33 PM, Yetti said:

Piece of steel tubing with boards across so tubing does not pull through the bags of sacreate.   Two bags of sacreate each side.  1" tubular webbing with a stainless carabiener.  So you need about 230lbs.  It will work with 2 bags....   but is sketchy

tailtiedown.jpg

I agree, it looks sketchy

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
On 8/31/2020 at 3:57 PM, Last Sunrise said:

What does it weigh? 

Depends on how many Fender Super Twin Reverb's are in it (about 80 lbs each).   I've seen a bushel galvanized steel tub almost filled with sakrete with an extra 2 ea. 40 lb. bags of pea gravel on top.  That weighs about 240 lb, or 3 Super Twin Reverb's :lol: