Personal Locator Beacon Recommendations

On 6/24/2019 at 7:22 PM, cliffy said:

I've used an InReach (now Garmin) for a few years, It lays a bread crumb trail that you or who you want can follow on the internet, It has its own GPS so when you trigger it it gives your location, speed, altitude  and direction as you go down. You can text on it to rescuers. I turn it on and lay it on the glare shield so it could be triggered by me or my wife if anything goes wrong. The website also saves your travel in a log for review, I have a life jacket for it so it floats.

This is what I use as well. You have the added bonus to be able to text your A&P when you’re over the top or crossing a body of water and something weird starts happening. 

• Thanks 1

• 3 years later...

So ACR just came out with the ResQLink AIS PLB AIS PLB.  They have added satellite notification and GPS position transmition.

They are aiming it at boats but I wonder if it would be good for aircraft.  I have a ResQLink+ with 406Mhz.

The new one looks easier to carry, better formfactor. Adding GPS and Satellite is a big upgrade. Might get it instead of replacing battery on old one when it expires. 

So ACR just came out with the ResQLink AIS PLB AIS PLB.  They have added satellite notification and GPS position transmition.
They are aiming it at boats but I wonder if it would be good for aircraft.  I have a ResQLink+ with 406Mhz.
The new one looks easier to carry, better formfactor. Adding GPS and Satellite is a big upgrade. Might get it instead of replacing battery on old one when it expires. 

The AIS support is the marine version of ADSB. And marine versions are designed to automatically activate if submerged in water.

So not to helpful for aviation. For aviation I would add a G sensor and activate based on G forces exceeding some minimum (like 5Gs?).
They could add ADSB support so our traffic devices could show exact locations of the signals. Don’t know if ADSB protocol supports it, but identifying the target as a airplane in distress (blinking red for example) would be helpful, pilots seeing it could immediately take action to confirm the target and provide assistance.

if you're an iPhone user, you could get an iPhone 14 https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT213426 -- "With iPhone 14 and iPhone 14 Pro models, you can use Emergency SOS via satellite to text emergency services when you're out of cellular and Wi-Fi coverage. You can also use the Find My app to share your location with people via satellite."

undoubtedly android phones will have this soon enough as well

On 7/30/2019 at 9:31 AM, TonyK said:

I have a friend who works for the company and did some of the engineering work on the new 400.  We were just going back and forth earlier today about the benefits of systems like the inReach, Spot and the ACR 400.  If you take away the two way comm angle the ACR is a very nice unit with no required subscription.  Perfect for a leave it in the airplane safety device.

I have an ACR PLB-425 that I've had for a while.   It attches to my PFD when kayaking or goes in my pack when hiking or just going to be away from things enough that it might be useful.   I've not had to use it, fortunately, but it's nice to have in case it's needed.   Definitely a nice unit.

2 hours ago, EricJ said:

It attches to my PFD when kayaking or goes in my pack when hiking or just going to be away from things enough that it might be useful.

Same with my inReach.  The advantage I like with the inReach is that you get unlimited "check in" messages and 10 Text Msgs per month with the Safety (Basic) plan.  This is great to keep people informed if you're out kayaking or hiking alone.  With the higher subscriptions they can also track your progress online. 

• 7 months later...
On 3/16/2023 at 3:51 PM, ArtVandelay said:

The AIS support is the marine version of ADSB. And marine versions are designed to automatically activate if submerged in water.

So not to helpful for aviation. For aviation I would add a G sensor and activate based on G forces exceeding some minimum (like 5Gs?).
They could add ADSB support so our traffic devices could show exact locations of the signals. Don’t know if ADSB protocol supports it, but identifying the target as a airplane in distress (blinking red for example) would be helpful, pilots seeing it could immediately take action to confirm the target and provide assistance.

I get AIS is for boats but leaving that aside, They do not automatically activate if submerged in water. They can be installed in a lifejacket to automatically activate when the jacket inflates.

Comparing feature to feature for aviation here is what I was thinking. 

• Better form factor to carry
  • NFC is a nice feature
  • RLS is a nice feature

What do we think?

The other ACR ones have GPS and sat.  And some have RLS.

Only thing that one has extra is the AIS.

Almost twice as long (20 cm versus 11.48). Narrower (3.6 cm versus 52.), thinner (3 versus 3.8).  And heavier (6.72 ounces versus 5).

• 2 weeks later...

I’ve used an InReach for 10 years, on the cheapest subscription. About 5 years ago I realized that if I pair it to my ipad it would provide GPS info to ForeFlight up to 5m accuracy. It took me from using a beat up old 396 yoke mounted to a moving map touchscreen navigation tool. So worth it for me.