Personal Locator Beacon Recommendations

I'm needing a waterproof PLB.  I know this topic has been discussed before but I can't find the info I have seen in the past.  Technology changes quickly.  So if I'm buying today which one would you buy?

Thanks,

Neil

I've been using SPOT trackers for several (8) years now. But I probably wouldn't recommend them. They work, and I've not used anything else to compare them to, but I'm just not crazy about the way their website/subscription/configuration works. They have also been known to cause problems with panel mounted GPS units.

The ACR PLB's is what I use and recommend. I use this model, the 400 with integrated strobe light: https://express.google.com/u/0/product/3043364091155050282_7600232609211953833_6114026?utm_source=google_shopping&utm_medium=tu_cu&utm_content=eid-lsjeuxoeqt%2Ceid-wuakzuqbuq&gtim=CNaK68mR_PHTYxC0tInThevS5hIYsL-DjwEiA1VTRCiQtavoBTDqlfUC&utm_campaign=6114026&gclid=Cj0KCQjwrpLoBRD_ARIsAJd0BIU6a_LNmSr6Xt-OggSA4zV_275G7jRxLZJz0VSXmzD5J4Tua6N1iRUaAp2TEALw_wcB

There are other similar models that include messaging festures; like a SPOT. I personally have no interest in that.

But keep in mind these are not a substitute for a 406 onboard that will activate on it's own and you can flip the switch to activate while gliding to an off airport landing. These of course are dependent on you being concious and able to activate it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

But keep in mind these are not a substitute for a 406 onboard that will activate on it's own and you can flip the switch to activate while gliding to an off airport landing. These of course are dependent on you being concious and able to activate it.

You can activate the PLB while gliding as well. The onboard 406 requires an external antenna, which if damaged during the crash can render it useless. No perfect solution.

Tom

13 minutes ago, ArtVandelay said:

You can activate the PLB while gliding as well. The onboard 406 requires an external antenna, which if damaged during the crash can render it useless. No perfect solution.

Tom

I have both. And a SPOT. And a strong desire not to use any of them! There was a recent AOPA podcast about a guy who ditched his Cirrus in the ocean. They also interviewed the Coast Guard pilot who coordinated his rescue and she said if he had a PLB they probably would have found him half an hour sooner. Apparently they have an ADF-like device that points right at the PLB. The guy left his PLB in the plane....which sank.

I've used an InReach (now Garmin) for a few years, It lays a bread crumb trail that you or who you want can follow on the internet, It has its own GPS so when you trigger it it gives your location, speed, altitude  and direction as you go down. You can text on it to rescuers. I turn it on and lay it on the glare shield so it could be triggered by me or my wife if anything goes wrong. The website also saves your travel in a log for review, I have a life jacket for it so it floats.

• Like 2

On 6/24/2019 at 6:22 PM, cliffy said:

I've used an InReach (now Garmin) for a few years, It lays a bread crumb trail that you or who you want can follow on the internet, It has its own GPS so when you trigger it it gives your location, speed, altitude  and direction as you go down. You can text on it to rescuers. I turn it on and lay it on the glare shield so it could be triggered by me or my wife if anything goes wrong. The website also saves your travel in a log for review, I have a life jacket for it so it floats.

What are the monthly fees for the InReach?

Edited by RogueOne

I have a McMurdo FastFind 210. (220 is latest version) I'm pleased with it for the size and ease of use. Owned it since 2011 and have replaced the battery one time for $120. Today I would  get the ACR ResQ Link (suggested above, multiple models) because I like the antenna style better. But any of the units will be okay especially if you have it with you in time of need. Again as suggested above, I would keep it towards the simple side. Just GPS activation/location and maybe a strobe light with it.

Brian

I have the ACR aqualink it’s mounted just below my flap switch. It’s easy to reach for me or the passenger. But if I was to buy another PLB I would buy the Rescume PLB1 and carry it on my person at all times. Then I don’t have to worry about forgetting it while escaping the plane in a fire or sinking.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On 6/28/2019 at 10:10 PM, ArtVandelay said:

Are there any that have a battery that doesn’t require sending it back to the factory?

Tom

The local marine place sent my ACR ResQLink to their shop and it took about a week and was $85. But I'm not aware of any with an officially user replacable battery.

On 6/28/2019 at 10:10 PM, ArtVandelay said:

Are there any that have a battery that doesn’t require sending it back to the factory?

Tom

Reliability would take a huge plunge. Everytime you return to OEM for battery change, they test and re-certify for a period of x years. 

I've pulled the Spot Tracker Gen3, out of storage and will test it out in the plane this weekend. We're flying to Gunnison, CO and crossing a few miles of desolate country to get there. So I figure it's better than no PLB. 

I'll report back.

• 4 weeks later...
On 7/26/2019 at 3:45 PM, Htwjr said:

I have the ACR ResQlink that I keep with me on the plane or boat.  It came free when we bought an ACR Epirb for the boat a couple of years ago. 

I have a friend who works for the company and did some of the engineering work on the new 400.  We were just going back and forth earlier today about the benefits of systems like the inReach, Spot and the ACR 400.  If you take away the two way comm angle the ACR is a very nice unit with no required subscription.  Perfect for a leave it in the airplane safety device.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, RogueOne said:

Here is a “guy” that used his Garmin PLB and chute to good effective outcome.

At first I thought it was a commercial but apparently real. Amazing they got him out in 5 hrs. Not a true PLB device, but I assume he sent SOS to the GOES service that did the rest to notify the authorities.

45 minutes ago, kortopates said:

At first I thought it was a commercial but apparently real. Amazing they got him out in 5 hrs. Not a true PLB device, but I assume he sent SOS to the GOES service that did the rest to notify the authorities.

Pretty damn good commercial for the chute and the Garmin though :)

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, RogueOne said:

I would of gone for the water in gear up flap down glide mode...

Absolutely, aiming along the shoreline  - water will likely be cold! Extra points if you can also get a sense of wind and aim into it. But I'd probably give priority over a short swim (assuming cold water)  than a knot or two slower.

When going on ski trips, I love that the mountains have frozen landing strips, but spring with thin breaking ice over freezing water leaves me wondering what will be most survivable.

• Like 1