Need a whatchamacallit

Nippernaper

I'm finally wrapping up my interior redo in conjunction with a panel upgrade, and am in the middle of reupholstering the accent pieces that attach to the plastic interior panels of my J. They are held in with spring clips (or spring rivets, or keyhole rivets, or ?????). Several of them are broken, and I'm trying to source replacements but haven't had any luck. See photo for example. Has anyone found a source for these before?d6f68fdb8a84313c0c4a20c170ad8aa3.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’m doing the same thing, I was thinking of switching to Velcro. 

Those things seem to be called trim panel spring clips. Most were made to hold Masonite door panels on old cars.

I don’t have the parts manual with me, it might say who the OEM is.

Good luck, 

• Like 1

When I re-did my interior I installed rivnuts instead, so now I use 6-32 stainless screws instead.  Much nicer installation, IMHO.

I kept all the old parts.  I will give them away to whoever wants them, but it'll be later this week before I can get to it.

• Like 1

I’m doing the same thing, I was thinking of switching to Velcro. 
Those things seem to be called trim panel spring clips. Most were made to hold Masonite door panels on old cars.
I don’t have the parts manual with me, it might say who the OEM is.
Good luck, 

I don't have my parts manual handy either; will check it Monday.

When I re-did my interior I installed rivnuts instead, so now I use 6-32 stainless screws instead.  Much nicer installation, IMHO.
I kept all the old parts.  I will give them away to whoever wants them, but it'll be later this week before I can get to it.

I'm going to try some of the plastic alternatives available online; if they don't work I may be looking to take your clips off your hands!

I'm going to try some of the plastic alternatives available online; if they don't work I may be looking to take your clips off your hands!

My K uses metal clips. I am skeptical that plastic would be strong enough for the armrest. But let us know if you try them.
And I wonder if your broken ones are plastic, if that could be why?

My K uses metal clips. I am skeptical that plastic would be strong enough for the armrest. But let us know if you try them.
And I wonder if your broken ones are plastic, if that could be why?

They are metal. I have enough good ones for all the armrests, so I'll only need the plastic ones for the accent panels (the long wavy trim pieces just below the windows). Not sure what caused the metal ones to break, but it looks like previous owners had trouble keeping them in.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Yetti said:

A NAPA (National Aviation Parts Accessories) will have those.   They also have a whole rack of plastic alternatives of all shapes and sizes.

Just about all auto parts stores carry an assortment of clips.

Update - I ended up using one of the plastic automotive clips.  Seems to work well, but I don't think you can remove and replace too many times.  Like maybe none.  That should be fine, since this is an accent piece that you really don't ever need to remove.  The holes had gotten a bit oblong, so I filled them in with a repair kit from Plane Plastics, then redrilled the holes.  I'll post some photos of the interior when it's all done.