M20J starter issues, will a Sky-Tec 149-12NL fit on a J?

I’ve been having an ongoing issue with my Sky-Tec149-12LS starter not always engaging.  Sometimes it’ll just make a clicking sound when I engage the key then it’ll crank on subsequent attempts.  Anyways, to make a long story short, my mechanic and I thought perhaps switching brands would help so I bought a B&C starter which would not fit.  I called B&C and was basically told “Yeah, sorry but we’re aware our starters don’t fit Mooneys” as they make contact with the fuel servo.  So the other option was to switch to an overhauled Prestolite (Which apparently are no longer made new anymore) or stick with Sky-tec.  I opted to stick with Sky-Tec.

Sky-tec has been pretty good with their customer service and even told me to send it back even past warranty. The guy I spoke with on the phone suggested maybe switching to a 149-12NL if it’ll fit.  Does anyone know if the NL will fit on a IO-360A3B6D?  Thanks in advance.

I have  a skytec 149-12NL on my IO-360-A3B6D and it fits perfectly

installation is straightforward although it takes some time to remove the old starter and install the new 

I replaced a Prestolite that was still working to:

• loose a few pounds (i think about 10 lbs)
  • faster spinning

I kept my prestolite as a spare

• Like 1

Want to focus on what isn’t working?

What is keeping the existing starter from engaging?

Or, you have already made the call to abandon ship, no going back... :)

The Bendix drive is the primary culprit of starters not engaging...

The BD is so mechanically simple a good clean and lube gets them working again.

My O360 used to suffer between annuals... So a quick clean and lube would usually work for a few more months...

The sign of need... whirring of the starter, no engagement...

PP thoughts only, not a mechanic.

Best regards,

-a-

• Like 1

Yes it is a drop replacement on a J and it's good for both 14-28v. You might need to loosen up the FCU in order to get the old starter out. It takes about 5 hours to get it done. It sounds very different - and , in my opinion, more "modern" sound if there is such a thing -  when you crank. Weigh much less. Works well. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, carusoam said:

Want to focus on what isn’t working?  Not really, I just want it working ASAP. I’m in the midst of getting my commercial, CFI and CFII add-ons right now and wanted to be done in a few weeks.

What is keeping the existing starter from engaging?  I believe it was the starter solenoid from the last repair under warranty.  It was working fine for a few months until the problem started again.

Or, you have already made the call to abandon ship, no going back... :)

The Bendix drive is the primary culprit of starters not engaging...

The BD is so mechanically simple a good clean and lube gets them working again.

My O360 used to suffer between annuals... So a quick clean and lube would usually work for a few more months...

The sign of need... whirring of the starter, no engagement... No whirring sound, just a single click with each turn and push on the key.  Almost like when you have a dead (very weak) battery. 

PP thoughts only, not a mechanic.

Best regards,

-a-

Thank you to everyone else who answered.  I’m going to give the NL a try and see what happens.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ArtVandelay said:

Where is the starter relay in the J?

Tom

Cabin side of firewall deep under the glare-shield above pax feet. It’s a pain to get to it.

Edited by PTK

10 hours ago, 201Steve said:

What’s the preferred method for cleaning? Mine whirrrrs sometimes. 

If your starter whirrs but doesn’t engage, it’s time to install a new Bendix drive in the starter, or install a new Sky Tec starter.

Clarence

5 hours ago, 201Steve said:

@M20Doc is the drive something you can change in the field or Send off? Any idea of approx cost? Ball park

This is a field job, no need to send it away.  Once you know the model of your starter, you can figure out the part number of the Bendix drive, likely an EBB-131. With the starter removed from the engine, pull the nose case off, extend the Bendix, drive out the roll pin and remove the Bendix.  

Reverse to reassemble.  You can disassemble clean and lubricate the Bendix, but at around $100 it’s hardly worth it.

Clarence

Hartzell has been great in terms of cust service so far.  They allowed me to ship back my LS starter several months past warranty and sent me an NL starter at no charge.  They even shipped it back overnight for me since I was AOG.  The guy I spoke with at Hartzell said the solenoids are a point of failure on the LS and that the NL version is a bit better.  I just got the replacement installed today but I'm going to change the oil while it's down since it's due.  I'll report in the future if this starter holds up.  My A&P said the new starter is working great when he tested it though.  

• 2 weeks later...