Engine Overhaul Recommendations?

Well my TCM IO-360-ES1B got to 2120.1 hrs.  Just started the annual and the front two cylinders are 40/80.  Guess it's time for overhaul.  Anyone ever used Nevada Aircraft Engines?  They are right down the street from me and my mechanic suggested using them.  I kind of like the idea of having someone local do it so I don't have to ship the engine out somewhere.

Let me give you the best suggestion for your $$$.

2 1/2 years ago I replaced the Lycoming IO-360 A1A in my 1974 E Model.  At the recommendation of Top Gun Aviation, I went to Air Power.  I purchased a zero time factory reman IO-360A3B6.  The price was just about that of an overhaul.  I was extremely satisfied with the decision, and I had a factory warranty on the engine.  When I went to sell the plane late last year, I got top $$$ for it largely due to the engine.

I wouldn't do an overhaul from a 3rd party shop.

All I can say is make sure however your engine gets to the shop that it's insured in transit, even if it's your own car. One of the last things you want to happen is for your newly overhauled engine to get in a car accident... don't ask how I know.

1) Compression ratios and TCM.... go through the effort to follow the procedure exactly... it is possible that compression numbers aren’t that low.

2) Deciding to OH the engine based on CR of two cylinders... not very well correlated...

3) Deciding to OH the engine based on engine hours... Some PPs OH based on other signs of measurable wear...

4) 2100 hrs... you have done well.

5) What do you want next?

- brand new

- factory reman

- factory OH

- big shop OH

- small shop OH

6) I wanted to run way past TBO, LOP.... a ground strike got in the way of that plan... so I went with the reman.

Unless you want the OH, find out what is causing the low CRs...

Unqualified, PP thoughts only, not a mechanic...

Best regards,

-a-

• Like 1

Maybe it's time to overhaul or maybe it's not. But I surely wouldn't overhaul just because of a couple bad cylinders. If everything else is fine, I.e. it's not making metal, Pull the cylinders for repair or replacement first and get a good view of the bottom end, cam, lifters etc. Without more than cylinder issues there shouldn't be a pressing need to overhaul.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Maybe it's time to overhaul or maybe it's not. But I surely wouldn't overhaul just because of a couple bad cylinders. If everything else is fine, I.e. it's not making metal, Pull the cylinders for repair or replacement first and get a good view of the bottom end, cam, lifters etc. Without more than cylinder issues there shouldn't be a pressing need to overhaul.

Many APs won’t make major repairs once past TBO. They don’t want the liability I guess.

Tom
  • Sad 1

5 hours ago, SantosDumont said:

Well my TCM IO-360-ES1B got to 2120.1 hrs.  Just started the annual and the front two cylinders are 40/80.  Guess it's time for overhaul.  Anyone ever used Nevada Aircraft Engines?  They are right down the street from me and my mechanic suggested using them.  I kind of like the idea of having someone local do it so I don't have to ship the engine out somewhere.

Is your shop familiar with Continental SB03-3?  Failure to meet the minimum test value is not cause for cylinder removal until the engine has been flown again and a second test completed.

https://m.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/pdf/servicebulletin.pdf

Clarence

33 minutes ago, M20Doc said:

Is your shop familiar with Continental SB03-3?  Failure to meet the minimum test value is not cause for cylinder removal until the engine has been flown again and a second test completed.

Clarence

My last annual we could not run the engine due to Calfire prohibiting ground ops during airport closure for fire fighting the plane had been grounded as a result for some weeks and one of my cylinders only gave 60 / 80 cold after the annual and with Calfire permission we were allowed to run up the engine and re test and got 78/80

• Sad 1

Many APs won’t make major repairs once past TBO. They don’t want the liability I guess.

Tom

If so, time to find another maintainer that has your best interest in mind. Mike has done a great webinar on this very topic available. Google "Deciding when to overhaul" by Mike - available on the EAA videos site.

• Like 7

I agree with what Paul has to say. 2 cylinders are off so take a good look at what you got first. If you decide to overhaul I would recommend Tim’s aircraft engines in Long Beach CA. The shop is clean and organized, he invites you in anytime to inspect the process and runs the engine at least an hour on the test stand before he sends it back to you. Price was very fair for my engine. Since your close I would take a look.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, kortopates said:

If so, time to find another maintainer that has your best interest in mind. Mike has done a great webinar on this very topic available. Google "Deciding when to overhaul" by Mike - available on the EAA videos site.

Yuup!

I called LASAR and they wouldn't do an annual as my engine is past TBO.:(

So, Top Gun got my business:)

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, MikeOH said:

Yuup!

I called LASAR and they wouldn't do an annual as my engine is past TBO.:(

So, Top Gun got my business:)

Was this because it exceeded the 12 year calendar time or hourly TBO?

Clarence

5 hours ago, M20Doc said:

Clarence

Yeah we ran it, got the same results as cold. $34k quote from Nevada Aircraft Engines.  I’ll be getting a quote from Jewell. 

• Like 2

All I can say is make sure however your engine gets to the shop that it's insured in transit, even if it's your own car. One of the last things you want to happen is for your newly overhauled engine to get in a car accident... don't ask how I know.

Without knowing any details, let me just say I really felt bad for you reading that. That’s terribly bad luck and even if you didn’t incur extra expenses as a result I imagine it would add significant delay after already being down for some time.

1 hour ago, kortopates said:

Without knowing any details, let me just say I really felt bad for you reading that. That’s terribly bad luck and even if you didn’t incur extra expenses as a result I imagine it would add significant delay after already being down for some time. emoji853.png

I've said this will make a funny story someday. It's looking more like a story involving lawyers and annoyance.

• Like 1