Mooney Landing in Van Nuys at twilight.

MrRodgers

I recently finished my transition training with Donald E Kaye and Mike Jesch.  Two fantastic gentlemen and great instructors.

I finally had a chance to shoot a quick video in my Mooney. 

This is one of my first solo trips since finishing my transition training into my 67 M20F.

I love being able to safely fly my plane now.  It is so rewarding to gain proficiency and confidence with these beautiful machines. 

This was a twilight approach into Van Nuys over the San Fernando Valley in the Los Angeles basin. 

You might notice that ATC uses the wrong call sign when apparently asking me to switch runways but all worked out great and they didn't admit their mistake and I didn't know of their request until I watched the video. There was also another Mooney on approach 10 miles out with a very similar call sign.

The runway was clear and I learned something from the experience.  Enjoy riding along with me in my 67 M20F.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

Great video...

The hat shelf camera location works really well. It can see out all of the windows at one time.  :)

whenever somebody gets cleared for landing 1 6 Right, or 1 6 Left... a certain video/movie comes to mind... :)

Thanks for sharing the video, and the lesson on the importance of getting the right tail number understood by everyone...

Best regards,

-a-

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, carusoam said:

Great video...

The hat shelf camera location works really well. It can see out all of the windows at one time.  :)

whenever somebody gets cleared for landing 1 6 Right, or 1 6 Left... a certain video/movie comes to mind... :)

Thanks for sharing the video, and the lesson on the importance of getting the right tail number understood by everyone...

Best regards,

-a-

Thanks for your comments.  Actually, the camera is about half way down the cabin between the rear seats.  Wide angle setting on the GoPro.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, elimansour said:

Very nice video and nicely done overall!! Looking forward to meeting you in person at the next West Coast Mooney Club fly in!

Thanks so much.

I am working on something now coming up in August.  More to follow...

41 minutes ago, MrRodgers said:

Thanks for your comments.  Actually, the camera is about half way down the cabin between the rear seats.  Wide angle setting on the GoPro.

I really like the perspectIve you achieved.  How did you mount between the seats?  It seemed to be very solid.

I really like the perspectIve you achieved.  How did you mount between the seats?  It seemed to be very solid.

I used a GoPro (sticky mount) and placed it on the ceiling. It works great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

Nice video. I am surprised the controller did not repeat the runway change instruction until there was a reply. He made two mistakes, first the incorrect call sign and second not confirming the instructions were received. You made none as the last transmission directed correctly at you was “Mooney 968M 16R cleared to land”. Had he persisted with the the runway change instruction in the absence of a reply, it’s likely you would have realized his mistake and replied. I hope he didn’t bark at you for landing the wrong runway as the recording would have been embarrassing for him had he done so.

Edited by Shadrach
  • Like 2

I hope he didn’t bark at you for landing the wrong runway as the recording would have been embarrassing for him had he done so.

The controllers throughout the crowded airspace in the LA basin are top notch especially at Van Nuys. Human error does creep in from time to time. He did not mention my landing 16R to me and although I looked for the “other” Mooney on the approach to the parallel runway I never attributed his call to me. There was another Mooney on frequency earlier with a similar N#.

It’s great to make these videos as a learning tool.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not sure if it can be streamed, but there's an excellent video about the history of Van Nuys called "One Six Right" which covers its history from its early days in the 1920's to its role in WWII to its use as a backdrop for some classic films such as Casablanca, to the building of the Sherman Way tunnel.

4 hours ago, flyboy0681 said:

Not sure if it can be streamed, but there's an excellent video about the history of Van Nuys called "One Six Right" which covers its history from its early days in the 1920's to its role in WWII to its use as a backdrop for some classic films such as Casablanca, to the building of the Sherman Way tunnel.

Yes, I have seen the movie many times.  A great film with exceptional aerial footage.