Motive for beach buzzing Mooney

201er

On 6/17/2019 at 3:10 PM, jghyde said:

Flying at single digits low level is stupid, especially in a single engine airplane. And the hours this guy had were too few to go about this. I have 1000s of hours low level and I've done some stupid things over the Pacific Ocean in a B-52G at 390 KIAS, but never 10 feet!

Either act is stupid. 

But a Buff at 10 feet AGL going 390 KIAS would attract attention and make noise. A little bitty Mooney at 10 feet is 'meh'. Therefore, he gets no cool points from anywhere.

RIP.

This is my first post. I love flying my M20C. But I like cruising at 10,000 feet. More time to make decisions.

A B52 Low Level pass.... 

now you have my attention!

6 hours ago, Shadrach said:

I have been riding a long time.  With all do respect, if you were rear ended by a bike you either hit something that stopped you or the rider was not driving defensively. Very few cars will out brake even older bikes.  I have a 46 year old Triumph with twin leading shoe drum brakes and even it will out brake most any car on the road.

I’m not following. When you’re sitting at a light behind another car how do you be defensive other than splitting lanes?

-Robert 

2 hours ago, RobertGary1 said:

I’m not following. When you’re sitting at a light behind another car how do you be defensive other than splitting lanes?

-Robert 

I misread his post. I thought he said was rear ended by a bike, which I’ve seen many times. 

I’ve done a lot of lame splitting in my life. I rode a motorcycle to work when I lived in the Bay Area. Riding at moderate speeds between slow rolling or stopped car traffic has safety benefits. Weaving through 55-65mph traffic at 85 to 1XX mph creates human grease spots. I’ve seen several dead people with helmets and leathers on by the side of the road that we’re alive just seconds or minute before when they dusted me off 40+ mph faster and 3” off my mirror. It’s fairly common.  Living in close proximity to I80, I’m sure you’ve seen this phenomenon. If not, there are plenty of you tubers that have made it a big part of their content.

10 minutes ago, steingar said:

When I filter its past stopped or very, very slowly moving traffic.  I don't do it going freeway speeds, that is a bit nuts.

I see a lot of asinine lane splitting and I currently live in a state where it's illegal.  I'm sure that you're a very sensible rider.  I was not but matured into one.  I'm glad I made it through my 20s. I tempted fate in land going vehicles in a way that I am not proud of.  Had I lived in a state where lane splitting was legal, I am sure I'd have been one of those jack asses with a GoPro on my helmet treating traffic like an obstacle course and showcasing my wheelie skills (hard one in the dirt) on the highway.   

It's not lane splitting per say that I take issue with (it can be done correctly and safely), it's a sport bike culture that embraces bad behavior. That behavior bleeds over into every aspect  of riding.  For four years I've lived in a small town on a quiet street with a speed limit of 25mph.  I cannot count on all of my fingers and toes how many times a random sport bike has passed my house in excess of 100mph.  Local cops are now grateful when a rider actually stops.  We also have a lot of untagged, unlit two stroke MX bikes riding wheelies through town at all hours. I was in Baltimore for dinner a few weeks ago and  I was taken by the risks I saw young men taking on mx bikes in the inner city. It looked like something out of a video game. I cannot deny the talent of some of these riders, but I expect many of them will pay a price.

• Like 1

I just thank my lucky stars that this sort of thing is of sufficient rarity that when someone does something that profoundly irresponsible we stand up and take notice, rather than say "meh, there goes another one".

If this pilot was thrill seeking and didn’t have a mechanical or medical issue then I will actually shrug it off more so than a loss of thought that leads to a gear up, or a mechanical or medical crash. Because I’m not in the category of pilot that wants to see how low I can go doing as fast as I can. So it’s not even on my radar.

If this pilot was thrill seeking then he ended up on the wrong side of the bell curve of life and adventure. Luckily he didn’t take anyone with him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5 hours ago, Shadrach said:

I see a lot of asinine lane splitting and I currently live in a state where it's illegal.  I'm sure that you're a very sensible rider.  I was not but matured into one.  I'm glad I made it through my 20s. I tempted fate in land going vehicles in a way that I am not proud of.  Had I lived in a state where lane splitting was legal, I am sure I'd have been one of those jack asses with a GoPro on my helmet treating traffic like an obstacle course and showcasing my wheelie skills (hard one in the dirt) on the highway.   

There must be something really wrong with me.  I started out sensible.  I never lane split except stopped traffic, and even then I was only going 10-15 mph.  Never did wheelies or any other kind stunt.  I did like racing around in the mountains, but even then I was fairly sane about it.

5 hours ago, Shadrach said:

It's not lane splitting per say that I take issue with (it can be done correctly and safely), it's a sport bike culture that embraces bad behavior. That behavior bleeds over into every aspect  of riding.  For four years I've lived in a small town on a quiet street with a speed limit of 25mph.  I cannot count on all of my fingers and toes how many times a random sport bike has passed my house in excess of 100mph.  Local cops are now grateful when a rider actually stops.  We also have a lot of untagged, unlit two stroke MX bikes riding wheelies through town at all hours. I was in Baltimore for dinner a few weeks ago and  I was taken by the risks I saw young men taking on mx bikes in the inner city. It looked like something out of a video game. I cannot deny the talent of some of these riders, but I expect many of them will pay a price.

Average life span of a liter sport bike is roughly four weeks, according to my insurance agent.  I had one of the fastest, a Honda 954rr, the final masterpiece the inventor of the supersport, Tadao Baba.  I won't say I didn't ride it at ridiculous speeds for I most certainly did.  That said, I never cracked triple digit speeds unless I was trying to get away, and just about every time it was utterly accidental.  The bike was just that damn fast.  Sometimes I miss it.

But I never did stunts of any sort.  I did tear up the twisties in West Virgina, though in one of my fastest runs I was passed by a local in a Jeep.  Tells you something about how I ride. Probably goes a long way toward explaining how it  is I still do it.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, steingar said:

There must be something really wrong with me.  I started out sensible.  I never lane split except stopped traffic, and even then I was only going 10-15 mph.  Never did wheelies or any other kind stunt.  I did like racing around in the mountains, but even then I was fairly sane about it.

Average life span of a liter sport bike is roughly four weeks, according to my insurance agent.  I had one of the fastest, a Honda 954rr, the final masterpiece the inventor of the supersport, Tadao Baba.  I won't say I didn't ride it at ridiculous speeds for I most certainly did.  That said, I never cracked triple digit speeds unless I was trying to get away, and just about every time it was utterly accidental.  The bike was just that damn fast.  Sometimes I miss it.

But I never did stunts of any sort.  I did tear up the twisties in West Virgina, though in one of my fastest runs I was passed by a local in a Jeep.  Tells you something about how I ride. Probably goes a long way toward explaining how it  is I still do it.

Ha!  I think that statement there sums it up :)

I've had a fastish car for 15 years, and while I have gotten it up to top speed once (on a very straight road in the desert with nobody else within 10 miles), I think what I discovered was that I don't have that thrill-seeking gene.  People talk about driving at "ten-tenth" effort, I think I find five or six tenths to be good enough for me.  My wife drives faster to work than I do now...

I guess the only thing I took away from this thread is that Larry isn’t the first and certainly won’t be the last to try to milk adrenaline out of dangerous bike stunts in an airplane. Good grief. :unsure:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

17 hours ago, steingar said:

Looks like you rode similar to me with exception of low speed (legal) lane splitting.  I just didn’t need to do it as I didn’t live in an area with massive commuter traffic.  Thanks for the education on how to do it “right”.  My lane splitting observances were all at speeds approaching 100mph and executed NOT out of necessity.  Enjoy.

14 hours ago, 201er said:

I guess the only thing I took away from this thread is that Larry isn’t the first and certainly won’t be the last to try to milk adrenaline out of dangerous bike stunts in an airplane. Good grief. :unsure:

Indeed.  Good grief.  Discussion of Hazardous Attitudes.  Oh the humanity.  :)

There is a good thread about 201 speed mods in Modern Mooney.  I’d go there for some relief.  Like quickly to purge the mind of all things crotch-rocketey...

The thing that is hard for me to understand in all this is that the beaches were not empty.

There are reports of people swimming in the water while the plane flew just above their heads.

At cruise speed and less than 50’ agl all you need is to be distracted by one gauge or another for 2 secs before it’s too late. And there are people right under your high speed meat grinder. Can’t understand that.

• Thanks 1

https://www.pressofatlanticcity.com/news/preliminary-report-released-from-cape-may-point-plane-crash/article_34cab724-9b14-56c1-b756-86329241c4a2.html?utm_content=bufferee38f&utm_medium=social&utm_source=facebook.com&utm_campaign=buffer&fbclid=IwAR19QT_npYSHDDaOgIRFizESYOLn0edqN5mbtUqAOp2P0OL2uBcTSF1Ysg4

Fairly well written article for media coverage of a GA accident.   The phrase "Consistent with overload failure" is not one I would use to describe that beating of an airplane against the ocean...I guess that's what there calling stone skipping a perfectly good airframe into the sea. 

1 hour ago, Shadrach said:

Fairly well written article for media coverage of a GA accident.   The phrase "Consistent with overload failure" is not one I would use to describe that beating of an airplane against the ocean...I guess that's what there calling stone skipping a perfectly good airframe into the sea. 

If you dip a wingtip into the water at 150 KTAS, as you tumble across the surface parts will break off due to overload. Rhis guy apparently skipped off the water, climbed, stalled and went in pretty steep. Something sheared off the left wing; that whole failure was due to overloading the main spar, the sub spar and all the wing skins . . . .

The phraseology is consistent with NTSB reports that I have read over the years. 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Hank said:

If you dip a wingtip into the water at 150 KTAS, as you tumble across the surface parts will break off due to overload. Rhis guy apparently skipped off the water, climbed, stalled and went in pretty steep. Something sheared off the left wing; that whole failure was due to overloading the main spar, the sub spar and all the wing skins . . . .

The phraseology is consistent with NTSB reports that I have read over the years. 

I don’t recallseeing the expression being used to describe impact damage 

I had my gxr deep into the triple digits many times.  over 170 across the I90 bridge in seattle was interesting.  I was young and really dumb.  Its probably good I didnt have a PPL then because I would be a smoking hole or have some really awesome stories..  I blast my ducati from the stop light and split lanes if traffic is slow now but I haven't even wheelied it.  I'm scared of pain now.  Pain and higher insurance rates...

8 minutes ago, TheTurtle said:

I'm scared of pain now.  Pain and higher insurance rates...

And the FAA gets interested in Reckless Behavior arrests, anf generally triple digit tickets get an automatic Reckless Driving add-on.

34 minutes ago, Hank said:

And the FAA gets interested in Reckless Behavior arrests, anf generally triple digit tickets get an automatic Reckless Driving add-on.

That depends. I’ve been ticketed twice for triple digits and never received anything more than the speeding ticket. Many western states have gone to 80 mph speed limits now with traffic moving much faster. Texas has stretches with 85mph.  There are stretches of interstate where 100mph may not even get you pulled over. Traveling from east to west, both speed limits and driver conscientiousness seem to increase somewhere in Iowa. That trend continues until you reach California. You don’t need a map or signage to know you’re back in California, the way people drive will make it clear.

I recently viewed a YouTube video ( I don’t think on Mooneyspace) that I believe was shot in Germany.  The stunt plane was doing impressive work and the pilot did a low flyby over a lake with mountains around (beautiful scenery) and after climbing banked and repeated.  Unfortunately he caught a wing and saved disaster with some incredible airmanship.  He corrected and set the plane down on the lake.  Plane looks like it could fly again.  Glad he walked...or swam and climbed (aboard a rescue boat) away.  Check it out.

4 hours ago, RogueOne said:

I recently viewed a YouTube video ( I don’t think on Mooneyspace) that I believe was shot in Germany.  The stunt plane was doing impressive work and the pilot did a low flyby over a lake with mountains around (beautiful scenery) and after climbing banked and repeated.  Unfortunately he caught a wing and saved disaster with some incredible airmanship.  He corrected and set the plane down on the lake.  Plane looks like it could fly again.  Glad he walked...or swam and climbed (aboard a rescue boat) away.  Check it out.

I thought that was shot at Red Bull but I could be wrong. 

-Robert