Aspen MAX upgrade is coming closer

flumag

I got the confirmation my MAX are shipped to the store and will go into the plane tomorrow. The additional audio wiring is already in place. So some test flying and later on this week a North Atlantic crossing. Maybe the first for the MAX over all.

• Like 2

I personally would not want envelope protection. I don’t mind a wing leveler safety button feature, but, I don’t ever want an autopilot  trying to take control out of my hands without me commanding it.  

I just dropped my plane off for the Max upgrade.   I’ll also provide a PIREP. 

Envelope protection is only enabled if one “commands it”. It’s meant to be a last ditch effort to try and save your ass when everything else hasn’t worked. With that in mind, it seems kinda silly to say you wouldn’t want it.

EDIT: for the record I’m more talking about the blue button than systems that correct your bank if you’re banking more than x degrees.

3 hours ago, eman1200 said:

Envelope protection is only enabled if one “commands it”. It’s meant to be a last ditch effort to try and save your ass when everything else hasn’t worked. With that in mind, it seems kinda silly to say you wouldn’t want it.

EDIT: for the record I’m more talking about the blue button than systems that correct your bank if you’re banking more than x degrees.

As long as “ Envelope Protection “ can be easily disabled/turned off, I’m all for it. Obviously, I hope I would never put myself in a position to need it.  This feature could have saved JFK Jr. and his passengers.  

I’ve seen enough autopilots (not the newest GFC 500 or DFC90 which I have little experience with)  do occasional wonky things so I hope these new protection features perform as advertised (i.e., activation beyond 45degree banks etc.).  

I was only speaking for me personally. I think envelope protection has the potential to save many lives so I’m not against it.  A parachute might also be nice, but, like envelope protection,  it’s not currently high on my list of needs. 

If I do need to do sudden aggressive maneuvering to avoid a midair collision, I’m on fire in an emergency descent or I want to do commercial steep turns, I certainly don’t want any autopilot trimming against me.  If it’s easily disabled or activated by a quick button push without ever having to start pulling circuit breakers etc., then I agree that there would be little downside. 

Edited by HXG

PIREP Aspen MAX:

today was the day! Upgrade done. My first flight with the MAX in my plane.

They really look good and bright. I recall the comparison from last year in Oshkosh to have old and new devices next to each other but I have to say to see it in the own panel its different. Also in sun light they are very good readable. The display looks very very clear and colored. The boot screen indicates its MAX devices. Bad that the frame doesn't show any fancy MAX logo. 

The CPU speed difference appears significant different to me. Menu selections seems very quick. Who has SV on knows that you need to wait until you can switch to SV mode. This is fully gone with the MAX. Still no permanent SV mode is available. So it's an checklist item for me now. :-)

New was the range to altitude line. This is new and it was interesting to observe during approaching the airport.

Manuals were not printed so far but could be download from the website. Anyways the better option for W&B. 

Time is there but haven't have enough time to play with.

Very nice is the acoustic signal e.g. for reaching the selected altitude or approaching the minimum. I strongly recommend to use this feature and wire the MAX to the audio panel. 

We had today OAT from around 30 degrees on the ground. The MAX are still developing some heat but you can still touch the frame after half an hour flight.

Interesting was that the shutdown of the PFD was taking longer than the MFD. I dont remember that from the old Aspens.

So next stop will be a transatlantic flight on Friday for me with more time to play.

Overall I'm happy to have the MAX in the plane and also have an additional warranty.

Hendrik

IMG_5549.jpg

IMG_5552.jpg

IMG_5544.jpg

IMG_5548.jpg

IMG_6564.jpeg

IMG_5555.jpg

IMG_5562.jpg

IMG_5568.jpg

IMG_5569.jpg

IMG_5572.jpg

IMG_5575.jpg

IMG_4567 2.jpg

• Like 10

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, @flumag, that is one sweet setup!

I called Aspen today to get an estimate of the delivery of my 1000 Pro MAX upgrade.  I purchased the upgrade April 5th.  I was informed that the new unit will be shipped the middle of September.  Whoo Hoo!

On another note, I asked the nice person I spoke with on the phone how sales were going.  She offered that Aspen estimated they would sell 300 MAX upgrades and to date, they are over 1000!  I hope that the positive trend continues for them.

Alex

• Like 3

The price on the brand new 2000MAX with external backup battery is very attractive too. That lets you get rid of all backup instruments and your vacuum system (unless you need it for something else like speed brakes [or boots on other brand airplanes]). Contact Chase @Avionics Source for specifics. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, larrynimmo said:

lets face it...if you have a 10 year old unit and for $3amu you can get a brand new unit that is compatible and warranted for 2 years....whats there not to like.

Yep, no brainer over here as I should get it the same month my warranty renewal is due for my non-Max unit.  $3k, but I don’t need to write a check for 800 bucks in addition to the $2k savings.  I’m not surprised they tripped sales expectations.

So after 20 more hours on the ASPEN MAX here a second update: 

The first positive impression continuous. The necessary switch to European altimeter settings in Greenland were very easy and is done in seconds. The bigger fonts are helpful e.g for the selected altitude. It helps to read the display quicker (maybe also my age) I use the new time page way more than I expected. Just as a quick reminder for something. It's easy to setup and you hear the acoustic reminder "Timer1". Only the missing UTC clock was a bit limiting since you have to report on a frequent base your position on a north atlantic crossing. That could be a nice enhancements and it's a lot of space  on the screen available. Database for MFD and PFD needs to be also switched in Greenland to have coverage for SV e.g. Just switch the SD card and rebooted the devices.

Since several flights were at flight levels the standard pressure setting (29.92 or 1013) is used. Here it could be helpful to display "STD" instead of the numeric value. Especially for flying in Europe were all flights above 10.000ft are done on STD this could be easier. 

I also liked the acoustic notification of reaching the selected altitude. THis even helps to remind you if you fly without an AP with altitude preselection.  Maybe the signal 200ft above and below the selected altitude could be renamed to " reaching altitude". At all 3 points the Aspen is stating "altitude". If you shooting an approach the Aspen is also telling you when you "approach minimum".

Overall I enjoyed the MAX...

Hendrik

Screenshot 2019-08-12 at 08.14.32.png

IMG_8964.jpg

IMG_7393.jpg

IMG_4860.jpg

IMG_0950.jpg

IMG_0140.jpg

IMG_1634.jpg

IMG_4031.jpg

IMG_2439.jpg

IMG_0999.jpg

IMG_6569.jpg

IMG_2831.jpg

IMG_5843.jpg

• Like 7

Just an FYI, my Aspen unit was sent in for the Max upgrade nearly 3 weeks ago and still not received. It should be shipping now, but it sounds like they’re a little slow on the turn around possibly due to heavy volume.  

5 hours ago, HXG said:

Just an FYI, my Aspen unit was sent in for the Max upgrade nearly 3 weeks ago and still not received. It should be shipping now, but it sounds like they’re a little slow on the turn around possibly due to heavy volume.  

I'd like to see it when it gets back. I'm on the schedule but still a month or so out.

• Like 1