Aspen MAX upgrade is coming closer

flumag

Aspen Avionics
transpix.gif

June 12, 2019

CONGRATULATIONS!

You are one of the first in line to receive your new MAX upgrade. We are pleased to let you know we have submitted TSO paperwork to the FAA this week and expect certification by June 30. Please contact your dealer to schedule your unit removal and return to our Albuquerque facility.  Your dealer will include the RMA paperwork provided at the time of your order. Based on this certification schedule we will be ready to receive units for your upgrade by July 8, 2019.  Once we receive your unit, expected turnaround time will be 7-10 days.  If the certification date changes, you will be notified by June 20 with an alternate date we will be ready to receive the units. We have also communicated with your dealer regarding upgrade status.

Depending upon the condition of your current unit, we may be assigning a unit with a different serial number. If you require your original unit returned, please let us know by emailing our customer support manager, 

As a reminder, the upgrade is compatible with the EFD1000 Pro PFD and 500/1000 MFDs.  It is not compatible with our Pilot or VFR display systems.

Please ask your dealer to ship your display to our Albuquerque manufacturing facility:

Aspen Avionics
5001 Indian School Road, NE, Suite 100
Albuquerque, NM 87110

Thank you for your business, and we hope you will enjoy many more years of efficient use with your new MAX upgrade.

Sincerely,

Aspen Avionics

• Like 5

17 minutes ago, BaldEagle said:

Nice... When did you order your upgrade, if you don’t mind me asking?  I’m also in the queue but didn’t put my order in until mid April,  just prior to the close of the special offer.

@BaldEagle, I am in the same position as you relatively speaking.  I hope the OP will share so I too can get some sense of what the timeline is.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, BaldEagle said:

Nice... When did you order your upgrade, if you don’t mind me asking?  I’m also in the queue but didn’t put my order in until mid April,  just prior to the close of the special offer.

sure thing, February 19. I'm waiting for the set to go on a ferry flight to Europe. 

• Thanks 1

On 7/13/2011 at 9:13 AM, Cris said:

Ok so here are the before & after pictures of the plane. The paint as described was in very good condition but the top wing panels & the tail were repainted a matching white. Only the Ruby Red metallic on the fuselage/wing tips/tail as well as the tail stripes were painted. It makes this A/C look like new & makes me feel a whole lot better! The original scheme & colors etc. were left intact. The stripes are columbia blue metallic & cumulous grey metallic which worked really well with the ruby red metallic. The interior is medium blue leather with dark grey carpet. This was done at Reece Brothers in Robbinsville NJ at about 25% of the cost to strip & repaint an entire plane. Reece also insisted that to do this correctly it required a clear coat over the base coat within hours so that the clear would fuse to the underlying paint. By so doing it is supposed to eliminate the flaking that can occur with clear coats in the future. Should hold me for a few years. 

post-9585-13468140460929_thumb.jpg

post-9585-13468140461219_thumb.jpg

Hi cris I love your paint job ! Can you call me at your convenience? My eagle needs the red paint too! Thanks Steve

@skyking1,

Unfortunately, Cris can’t come to the phone right now...

But, Reese Brothers is worth a call.

Cris’ paint looked great, it separated it from the rest of the very white Eagles...

The other thing that made Cris’ plane stand out, was the 310 horses of the Screamin’ Eagle upgrade.

I had the great honor to fly in Cris’ plane a couple of times.  He helped me outfit my O with the new engine and prop...

My O has had its paint done and maintained by Reese Brothers as well...

Best regards,

-a-

5 minutes ago, MIm20c said:

I’m hopeful Aspen sells a large number of max units to new customers. However, IMO they need to get more aggressive on pricing. $13.5k for a unit with SV and AOA?...maybe 2 years ago. 

I think they may not realize it but they are fighting for their continued existence give the g3x is here and gfc500... and dynon coming.  Aspen can still keep a strong market niche with better pricing I bet. 

• Like 1

You know - I wonder if Aspen could mimic some of the exciting features of the modern digital autopilots.  Most notably - envelope protection. Aspen can already talk to many/most legacy autopilots and also gpss and also it has computed AOA.

Sooooooo.....at least technically in engineering terms it could well do the envelope protection functions, the question then being if they could certify such a function?

If an aspen could give me envelope protection for my old legacy KFC200, I would perhaps reconsider going that route.  Cheaper and simpler and you get a great display.

I doubt though they would ever get straight and level certified even though that too may well be technically plausible.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 7/2/2019 at 9:34 AM, aviatoreb said:

You know - I wonder if Aspen could mimic some of the exciting features of the modern digital autopilots.  Most notably - envelope protection. Aspen can already talk to many/most legacy autopilots and also gpss and also it has computed AOA.

Sooooooo.....at least technically in engineering terms it could well do the envelope protection functions, the question then being if they could certify such a function?

If an aspen could give me envelope protection for my old legacy KFC200, I would perhaps reconsider going that route.  Cheaper and simpler and you get a great display.

I doubt though they would ever get straight and level certified even though that too may well be technically plausible.

I think what you propose is 110% technically viable but I don’t think it is realistic from a certification and liability stand point. 

15 hours ago, M20F said:

I personally would not want envelope protection. I don’t mind a wing leveler safety button feature, but, I don’t ever want an autopilot  trying to take control out of my hands without me commanding it.  

I just dropped my plane off for the Max upgrade.   I’ll also provide a PIREP. 

Edited by HXG
  • Like 2