EGT/CHT?

6 minutes ago, Badmoonraising said:

I only monitor EGT/CHT off one cylinder. Therefore run rich of peak. What is the ideal EGT/CHT? I find I'm richer that the book says. 

The exact temperature doesn't matter, only the amount below Peak EGT whether by going richer or leaner. Move your EGT probe a quarter inch, yiur readings wikl all change, so it's not possible to say what the "correct" EGT temperature is.

BadMoon,

The challenge with EGT... it depends on how far down the exhaust pipe it is mounted... it changes rapidly with millimeters... making it hard to compare with anyone...

What makes EGT useful, is numbers relative to peak... both ROP and LOP... everyone can compare these easily.

What makes experimenting with mixture safe for your engine... is Avoiding the red box... easy enough to read up on...

Chances of burning a valve are slim, compared to all the other wreckage you can do... wearing cylinders, sticking valves, coked oil, etc...

With our NA engines the easy way to avoid the red box.... keep the MP setting below 65%hp either use altitude to do this or set the MP down...

As for what CHT to use... people around here try to keep the CHTs under 380°F, best for cylinder life...

PP thoughts only, not a mechanic...

best regards,

-a-

Valves don't burn because of high EGT. They burn when there is a problem with dissipating heat through the seat. Seat eccentricity (Continental has had some problems with this), sticking (both Lycomings and Continentals but more common on Lycomings I believe). High CHTs will impede the heat transfer. For longevity, control the CHTs and don't worry about the EGT except as a leaning reference.

Skip

• Like 1