Mooney paint correction and ceramic coating!

mooneyman

8 hours ago, FastTex said:

Thanks. It's one of those puzzling things...~$4 AMU vs. ~$12 AMU for a full paint job...

I started having small paint peeling and bubbles around some of the rivets even if the overall aircraft looks pretty good. Do they fix those?

Just to be clear... My bill was $4060, and it included a fair bit of touch-up where the factory "paint job" (lolz) had lifted from poor prep.  I'm not sure a good-quality, complex paint job can be had for $12,000 any more in North America - maybe still in the DR...  In any event, preserving and enhancing the existing paint at a fraction of the cost of a new job while saving all the downtime and potential mishaps of a full strip and paint made sense to me.

-dan

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, exM20K said:

Just to be clear... My bill was $4060, and it included a fair bit of touch-up where the factory "paint job" (lolz) had lifted from poor prep.  I'm not sure a good-quality, complex paint job can be had for $12,000 any more in North America - maybe still in the DR...  In any event, preserving and enhancing the existing paint at a fraction of the cost of a new job while saving all the downtime and potential mishaps of a full strip and paint made sense to me.

-dan

I agree with you that's why I'm gathering info...

18 hours ago, FastTex said:

It looks great. Did you touch up the paint?

I did in a few places the paint was chipping- around screw holes, etc. I took an inspection panel to a local paint shop and they mixed up a quart of red and a quart of white for $25. I have a airbrush for scale model airplanes and just shot it on.

• Like 2

• 9 months later...
On 6/12/2019 at 11:27 AM, mooneyman said:

This is a great video documenting paint correction and ceramic coating application on a Mooney! 

What does he spray on the bottom to cut through the grime? Saw on the m350 video and a little bit in the beginning of this one. Its some yellow colored spray that made wiping the belly off super easy!