How many M22s are still flying?

I also remember him saying that there was a divide in the team about 24 volt and 12 volt electric systems. Something about smaller airports not having 24v available, or something along those lines. Don't quote me. 

Edited by Mcstealth

Stephan,

Where are you located, how much time do you have for your project?

The Mooney factory is in the same place, and still manufacturing the world’s fastest, factory built, four seat, planes...

They have been open for public tours, given enough advanced planning... worth the effort for your readers...

There are also a few Mooney Service Centers MSCs around the world... they know what it takes to rebuild Mooneys from the ground up...  a few have rebuilt Mooneys to make them appear and fly like new machines... great experience in the event you find an M22 that needs some.... refreshing.

Having a pressurized M22 would make for a fantastic, personal, Long X-country, machine...

PP thoughts only...

Best regards,

-a-

49 minutes ago, Stephan Wilkinson said:

"Told a story of how much "dope???" they had to use."

Sealant?

Again, don't quote me, but I believe it is slang  for some kind of compound used in the construction process of the 22 for it to hold its pressure.

The story is: The design team declared that the Mustang must "look" like a Mooney. Hence the same style, roll cage frame, as on all Mooney. This style frame does NOT lend itself to be pressurized, leading to the need for more "dope"....

My father drew out a round fuselage and pushed for a redesign,  but was overruled. 

Edited by Mcstealth
  • Like 1

I'm sure you are aware of it since you are in aviation writing business but there are often old articles about M22 for sale on ebay.

Also, AOPA Pilot had an article years ago but it seems it diapered off their website. I could probably find it on my computer if needed.

14 hours ago, Mcstealth said:

Again, don't quote me, but I believe it is slang  for some kind of compound used in the construction process of the 22 for it to hold its pressure.

The story is: The design team declared that the Mustang must "look" like a Mooney. Hence the same style, roll cage frame, as on all Mooney. This style frame does NOT lend itself to be pressurized, leading to the need for more "dope"....

My father drew out a round fuselage and pushed for a redesign,  but was overruled. 

I never seen M22 in person but looking at IPC it didn't have a space frame construction as M20 does. It looked like conventional monocoque, albeit not round.

I am sure a lot of sealant was used... never hear of sealant being referred as "dope", though.

• Like 1

• 8 months later...

If anyone has or knows where I might find a couple of hi-resolution images for Mr. Wilkinson's story please get hold of me at gaceto(at)history net.com

While there are images on the internet, most of them are sized for the web and can't be used in print. Thanks in advance!

Guy

I realize this is an old thread but there's only one M22 that has been used regularly in the last decade and it's based in Minot, ND. If you would like contact info just PM me. Flight aware doesn't show much because it's mostly VFR.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

On 3/13/2020 at 8:38 PM, N231BN said:

I realize this is an old thread but there's only one M22 that has been used regularly in the last decade and it's based in Minot, ND. If you would like contact info just PM me. Flight aware doesn't show much because it's mostly VFR.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

I hope that it lives a long(longer) and productive life. 

Thanks for the info.