Mooney–Rivlin solid

aviatoreb

5 hours ago, takair said:

Well, that won’t work well for a spar and maybe Art and Al didn’t talk to Melvin for such a crazy suggestion.  

...we do have rubber landing gear pucks.  Which are a very nice visco-disco-elastic material.

But to some degree its all flexing.  Wings, body, etc.

But more importantly - look at the NAME!  With a NAME like that, clearly it is relevant!!

Edited by aviatoreb
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

46 minutes ago, Hyett6420 said:

Can i be honest and say i did not understand a WORD of what that article said.

I read the first sentence or two, scrolled down and closed the link . . . . . I'm just a lowly engineer and took just the required college calculus classes, one short to have earned a Math Minor had I not been in Engineering [we don't get Minors].

• Like 1

Just now, Hyett6420 said:

Oh yeah we got THAT bit, it was all the fun y symbol things that the cave men drew that we didn't get. 

@Hank  Calculus, i never got past O’levels (google it). 

This is a lovely general audience book about the extent and power of calculus.  Written by a fellow Steve Strogatz at Cornell University who is one of the very best public speakers in the business.  

https://www.amazon.com/Infinite-Powers-Calculus-Reveals-Universe/dp/1328879984/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=Steve+strogatz&qid=1560369817&s=gateway&sr=8-1

Aaaah....

Dynamics of polymer liquids... now we’re talking!

That other guy Rivlin was pretty active in the 70s... Rivlin must have added to Mooney’s work from decades before...

White-Metzner and Maxwell’s equation are also quoted in the same type of work...

i referenced a book from my college days... the class was Taught by a guy named Tsenoglu.  Something Erik and spoke about a while back when he visited Princeton...

Since we got Mooney and Maxwell and polymer stuff...   it’s got to be the rubber donuts!   :)

PP thoughts only, I studied this stuff back in the day for a reason, once... thought it was standard requirement for the PPL...  :)

Best regards,

-a-

7 hours ago, carusoam said:

Aaaah....

Dynamics of polymer liquids... now we’re talking!

That other guy Rivlin was pretty active in the 70s... Rivlin must have added to Mooney’s work from decades before...

White-Metzner and Maxwell’s equation are also quoted in the same type of work...

i referenced a book from my college days... the class was Taught by a guy named Tsenoglu.  Something Erik and spoke about a while back when he visited Princeton...

Since we got Mooney and Maxwell and polymer stuff...   it’s got to be the rubber donuts!   :)

PP thoughts only, I studied this stuff back in the day for a reason, once... thought it was standard requirement for the PPL...  :)

Best regards,

-a-

Oh You silly PPL - you know you know a lot more about this one than the standard PPL.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, aviatoreb said:

This is a lovely general audience book about the extent and power of calculus.  Written by a fellow Steve Strogatz at Cornell University who is one of the very best public speakers in the business.  

https://www.amazon.com/Infinite-Powers-Calculus-Reveals-Universe/dp/1328879984/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=Steve+strogatz&qid=1560369817&s=gateway&sr=8-1

This is what I know about calculus, and it comes from a sign in the window of a bar in Scotland: Alcohol and calculus don't mix, so don't drink and derive.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

11 hours ago, whiskytango said:

This is what I know about calculus, and it comes from a sign in the window of a bar in Scotland: Alcohol and calculus don't mix, so don't drink and derive.

I’ve done it.  No one ever got injured drinking and deriving.  And there is no law against it, so why not?  I’m an adult.  I’m an adult consenting mathematician and I’ll drink and derive if I want.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

On 6/12/2019 at 1:59 PM, aviatoreb said:

...but come on guys?!  You did all understand the word/name MOONEY, right?!

Frankly before I started taking flying lessons, I'd only heard of the Mooney family was in reference to the cult they started in Korea that stages those mass weddings. Al's family had a diverse portfolio of innovation extending well beyond aviation ;)

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, DXB said:

Frankly before I started taking flying lessons, I'd only heard of the Mooney family was in reference to the cult they started in Korea that stages those mass weddings. Al's family had a diverse portfolio of innovation extending well beyond aviation ;)

Turns out monies are the name for we we cultist who fly funny little airplanes with backward tails.

28 minutes ago, Hank said:

"ie" vs. "ey" can make quite a difference!  :blink:

Hah - you are right!  I did spell it correctly initially.  Stupid auto spell on my iPhone sometimes makes ironic fun.  So I will leave it rather than correct it

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Nippernaper said:

Quite the timely topic; I was digging into the Mooney-Rivlin material models just last week.  Eventually went Neo-Hookian.  

I would never fly a “Hookian” but I do fly a Mooney.

Edited by aviatoreb
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Nippernaper said:

Quite the timely topic; I was digging into the Mooney-Rivlin material models just last week.  Eventually went Neo-Hookian.  

What brings you to dig into polymer behavior modeling?

We have a few plastics guys around here.  Injection molding, extrusion, 3D printing.  We had one guy that was thermoforming acrylic canopies...

and a bunch more wanting newly designed rubber donuts... lower cost, longer lasting, and something to improve poor landing technique... :)

Best regards,

-a-

• Like 1