Microsoft Flight Simulator

Niko182

3 hours ago, MIm20c said:

Well I haven’t built a gaming rig in 15 years, I wonder if anything has changed?  Looks like I’m going to need to visit tom’s hardware to bring myself up to speed (if his site is still around). 

It is, and I was just looking through it for the same reason :) 

• 2 weeks later...

On ‎6‎/‎15‎/‎2019 at 5:25 PM, MIm20c said:

Well I haven’t built a gaming rig in 15 years, I wonder if anything has changed?  Looks like I’m going to need to visit tom’s hardware to bring myself up to speed (if his site is still around). 

Not much has changed, pc is basically still a pc, internal bus has changed,  water cooling is big, graphics cards are phenomenal and stupidly expensive, cpus well  4 cores are now entry level.   Memory is dirt cheap and no one remembers spinning hard drives.  oh yea, optical disc are relics.  wait wait OH YEA AMD is actually competitive now.  they might have more pci lanes for multi-gpu gaming, sound cards aren't really a thing anymore.

Hopefully fs has been rewritten from the ground up.  

I always go overboard,  so my next gaming rig will be something like:

8 to 12 cores

64 to 128 GB of memory

Fastest 1TB NVME m.2 drive available.

2x latest amd or nvida graphics cards.

2x curved 4k monitors

• Like 2

Some people may cringe for looking on Best Buy, but I was thinking about this one to run xplane: https://www.bestbuy.com/site/cyberpowerpc-desktop-intel-core-i7-9700k-16gb-memory-nvidia-geforce-rtx-2060-2tb-hard-drive-240gb-solid-state-drive-black/6325861.p?skuId=6325861

the one thing I’m not sure of is the video card memory.  6GB seems to be standard but is that enough or do I really need 8 or more to have a flawless experience?

2 hours ago, Davidv said:

Some people may cringe for looking on Best Buy, but I was thinking about this one to run xplane: https://www.bestbuy.com/site/cyberpowerpc-desktop-intel-core-i7-9700k-16gb-memory-nvidia-geforce-rtx-2060-2tb-hard-drive-240gb-solid-state-drive-black/6325861.p?skuId=6325861

the one thing I’m not sure of is the video card memory.  6GB seems to be standard but is that enough or do I really need 8 or more to have a flawless experience?

build your own, probably do it for similar cost and it takes 5 mins longer

3 hours ago, Davidv said:

No shame from me -- I buy most of my Apple gear at Best Buy.  It's the same warranty, and unlike Apple, they're willing to negotiate and price-match.  I've gotten some great deals there.

• 4 months later...

FSX bought online using ‘Steam’ was really low cost...

It would be nicer to have The O with 310hp... be an option... the Bravo is pretty good...

Really nice to have the flight dynamics improved to have the CL (nose drop w/o trim added) move back as the flaps deploy... ala actual Mooney...

Stall performance is easy to fly falling leaf...  not sure how well that matches reality...

FSX is a great way to measure your currency... if it has been a long time and you are not current... you can demonstrate to yourself how far behind the plane you can be... :)

If you are up to speed in the sim... getting up to speed in the real plane is much easier...

It turns out that flying a sim is good cognitive practice for flying the real thing...

unfortunately, flying the sim is not a direct substitute for the real thing...

Amazing what cloud computing can support...

PP thoughts only... NOT A CFI...

Best regards,

-a-