Microsoft Flight Simulator

Niko182

1 minute ago, PT20J said:

Anyone remember Bruce Artwick's original Flight Simulator (before Microsoft bought it) with the 2-D stick figure mountains running on an Apple II?

I dont think i was alive for that. A tad bit before my time. Literally. 

Looking at this however, The graphics look insane.

2 minutes ago, PT20J said:

Anyone remember Bruce Artwick's original Flight Simulator (before Microsoft bought it) with the 2-D stick figure mountains running on an Apple II?

It was difficult to make out what I was seeing back then....all those green lines too.

1 minute ago, apenney said:

It was difficult to make out what I was seeing back then....all those green lines too.

The most fun was to fly beyond the mountains and do a 180 and look back a the little flat earth grid. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Niko182 said:

I dont think i was alive for that. A tad bit before my time. Literally. 

Looking at this however, The graphics look insane.

I worry that if it is being released for the Xbox, that it will be a dumbed-down flight "entertainment" sim as opposed to anything like the last FS X or X-plane.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, jaylw314 said:

I worry that if it is being released for the Xbox, that it will be a dumbed-down flight "entertainment" sim as opposed to anything like the last FS X or X-plane.

Its being released on both xbox and pc.FSX was also available on xbox.

2 hours ago, PT20J said:

I used to run FlightSim 2.0 on an Apple II+. The fun part was to start as a WWI fighter with that huge rectangular machine gun sight, then in mid-flight change to a Lear. The sight and machine gun stayed with the jet . . . . Good times! Bad VGA graphics, but good times.

Edited by Hank
  • Like 1

We are all going to be discussing which version of Nvidea’s graphics board we’re going to need and how big the TV downstairs will be best...

in the meantime.... is there a Steam version for download?

I first saw MSFS in 1984 at a friend’s house. His dad was a closet PC computer simulator guy... got a copy of the sim around 1986... monochrome screen and meig’s field... Chicago buildings all in wire frame...

Learned VOR navigation to explore other airports...

:)

-a-

• Like 2

When I was working on my PPL, I was stationed in South Korea.  I did my first solo XC flight 3 times on FS prior to the actual flight.  All my visual way points were spot on in the sim vs real life.  this was in '03 so I believe it would've been FS98 at that time.  I may have more hours real world now vs what I've accumulated on FS over the years. 

I do hope they hold true to the original formatting in that it is a true sim but, as other's have said, I've have to build a new machine and find the time. 

13 hours ago, carusoam said:

We are all going to be discussing which version of Nvidea’s graphics board we’re going to need and how big the TV downstairs will be best...

in the meantime.... is there a Steam version for download?

I first saw MSFS in 1984 at a friend’s house. His dad was a closet PC computer simulator guy... got a copy of the sim around 1986... monochrome screen and meig’s field... Chicago buildings all in wire frame...

Learned VOR navigation to explore other airports...

:)

-a-

It's not out yet.  Next year.  For whatever reason PC ports of Xbox One games seem to demand a lot more GPU horsepower than is available on the Xbox to produce the same visuals.  Forza 7 in particular is a major offender here.  I hesitate to predict the hardware requirements.  My office machine has a 1060 in.  I think I'll probably be inclined to upgrade from my pair of 1080p monitors to a single ultrawide if MSFS is a real sim.  Or I get serious about playing X-Plane, which is currently my preferred flight sim.

35 minutes ago, johncuyle said:

It's not out yet.  Next year.  For whatever reason PC ports of Xbox One games seem to demand a lot more GPU horsepower than is available on the Xbox to produce the same visuals.  Forza 7 in particular is a major offender here.  I hesitate to predict the hardware requirements.  My office machine has a 1060 in.  I think I'll probably be inclined to upgrade from my pair of 1080p monitors to a single ultrawide if MSFS is a real sim.  Or I get serious about playing X-Plane, which is currently my preferred flight sim.

Do you have a good recommendation of a stand-alone box to use for x-plane? I just downloaded the ovation but my frame rate is way to slow based on my pc performance.

1B48F235-9259-40EB-985E-9375BF56A9F4.jpeg

4 minutes ago, Davidv said:

Do you have a good recommendation of a stand-alone box to use for x-plane? I just downloaded the ovation but my frame rate is way to slow based on my pc performance.

1B48F235-9259-40EB-985E-9375BF56A9F4.jpeg

No, I don't.  I custom-build my PCs.  Right now I'm running it in a fairly ancient system except for a GTX 1080Ti, and performance is totally acceptable.  Looks like you have a laptop.  If it's a new, high end one you might have the option of using an external GPU enclosure and you could get acceptable performance that way.  Not a lot of laptops have the required port, though.

Microsoft flight simulators over the years have always been programs that require a lot of CPU power too. Since the previous graphics of FSX where never that great graphics wise you could get by with a decent GPU, if you had a great CPU. I think this FS 2020 is going to require both a lot of CPU and GPU power. Ill be upgrading from my GTX970 to a RTX2070 most likely within the next year.

On 6/11/2019 at 6:55 PM, PT20J said:

remember it..... I still have my Apple //e and the disks still work!

for those who want to relive those glory days check out virtual apple 2 online http://www.virtualapple.org/a2-fs1disk.html

• Like 1

I had always dreamed of building the "ultimate" FS rig.  It would be dedicated PCs just for graphics, flight physics, and instrumentation/controls.  A minimum of a three screens just for the visuals; one for front and one on each side for that imersive feel.  Each screen would have it's own PC to prevent any kind of graphics lag.  The instrumentation PC woud run additional screen(s) for displaying my flight instruments and taking all of the flight control inputs.  The flight physics PC would be responsible for all of the rest of the 'game,' i.e. ATC, Navigation, Other Traffic, and physics.  All of them would be netwoked so I would be running one "plane" with 5 PCs.  In my mind, that was the only way to get the resoution and frame rate that I felt was necessary.  Then I decided a real plane was cheaper and bought a mooney :) 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, johncuyle said:

No, I don't.  I custom-build my PCs.  Right now I'm running it in a fairly ancient system except for a GTX 1080Ti, and performance is totally acceptable.  Looks like you have a laptop.  If it's a new, high end one you might have the option of using an external GPU enclosure and you could get acceptable performance that way.  Not a lot of laptops have the required port, though.

Yes, I have extremely low expectations from my Lenovo laptop but even with the slow frame rate I find it helpful to do basic IFR maneuvers with my desktop yoke using 0 visibility and various wind settings.  The frame rate makes simulating a realistic landing impossible but that’s ok since I’m just doing low approach.

2 hours ago, bob865 said:

I had always dreamed of building the "ultimate" FS rig.  It would be dedicated PCs just for graphics, flight physics, and instrumentation/controls.  A minimum of a three screens just for the visuals; one for front and one on each side for that imersive feel.  Each screen would have it's own PC to prevent any kind of graphics lag.  The instrumentation PC woud run additional screen(s) for displaying my flight instruments and taking all of the flight control inputs.  The flight physics PC would be responsible for all of the rest of the 'game,' i.e. ATC, Navigation, Other Traffic, and physics.  All of them would be netwoked so I would be running one "plane" with 5 PCs.  In my mind, that was the only way to get the resoution and frame rate that I felt was necessary.  Then I decided a real plane was cheaper and bought a mooney :) 

Honestly, one of the larger ultra-wide aspect curved monitors, a single mid-high range PC, a top end GPU (or two, please buy two RTX 2080's) and something for head tracking like a TrackIR plus an iPad to run ForeFlight connected to the sim, plus a reasonable selection of physical controls would be more than adequate.  Not really all that much money.  Less than a bad annual, anyway.

Something to think about, if you get the very high aspect ratio monitors (very wide curved monitor) I have seen some where you can’t see the instrument panel and outside view at the same time. You have to pan down to see the instrument panel. It did not look quite right and I would prefer to get 3 monitors that are taller.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

1 minute ago, Hector said:

Something to think about, if you get the very high aspect ratio monitors (very wide curved monitor) I have seen some where you can’t see the instrument panel and outside view at the same time. You have to pan down to see the instrument panel. It did not look quite right and I would prefer to get 3 monitors that are taller.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Its because they didnt set the aspect ratio correctly.