2019 Acclaim Ultra down at DVT

1 hour ago, irishpilot said:

@mike_elliott, thank you for leading the donation effort. As a community it is important to rally to those in need. Donation sent

Your quite welcome Ryan. This is what the Mooney Summit, Inc. does, and has for the last 6 years, along with providing a wonderful safety conference every year to  help in some small way to mitigate the need of this. As far as I know, there is not another charity in GA that does this. Hopefully, other groups will begin such a charity also.

• Like 2

Mike other pilot groups eg beecktalk etc, should if they don’t have a similar culture that you helped create needs to be aware that the Mooney Summit exists, what it does and stands for. We need AOPA,Flying, the EAA magazines to write an article in at least one of these quality periodicals regarding The Summit. I’m not close to a marketing professional, I’m sure we have some in our group, who could get us to press. Where our friend George P. ex AOPA we.maybe he has some connections. Get the word out 

• Like 1

Mike other pilot groups eg beecktalk etc, should if they don’t have a similar culture that you helped create needs to be aware that the Mooney Summit exists, what it does and stands for. We need AOPA,Flying, the EAA magazines to write an article in at least one of these quality periodicals regarding The Summit. I’m not close to a marketing professional, I’m sure we have some in our group, who could get us to press. Where our friend George P. ex AOPA we.maybe he has some connections. Get the word out 
With the sad crash of a King Air today in Addison, it is apparent how much it is needed. It is so sad it takes blood to get organizations like ours to be born.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Mike it’s been a rough week or two with all the accidents, makes up strive for more training or stop flying. I faced this dilemma about five years ago and increased my flying and training times like this lately opens my eyes on what way to go.

@mike_elliottGod was watching over you on that fateful day and took care of you. He saved your life for a purpose. You are a very special person because you seek to fulfill that purpose by dedicating your life to it.

Thank you for all you do Mike.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

@mike_elliott I too just sent a donation, as I haven't been able to be on Mooneyspace for about a week.  As someone stated above, reading the update on Mark was like a kick in the gut. I pray for him and jenny as they face this devastating news and adjustments.  I also pray somehow this tragedy can be turned into a positive blessing in some way.  

It was sober reading @gsxrpilot post and I couldn't help but saying, "that is exactly what I was saying."  I try my best to learn from all of the more experienced pilots (especially Mooney Pilots) and hope to react correctly in such a highly stressful situation.  I definitely need to purposely set time aside to practice emergency procedures more often.

Jenny posted this update today on her Lotsahelpinghands blog

Mark's surgery went smoothly today. Here's what they did for his fingers:

Left Hand - They amputated his index finger. Although the ends of his other fingers and thumb are dark (which means serious damage), they decided not to amputate anything else. They want to see how his fingers evolve on their own.

Right Hand - They amputated all fingers - there are some that have a bit of a nub above hand, others that are completely gone. They kept his thumb intact even though it has serious damage to see also how it evolves. It may self-amputate which means the dead part can fall off on its own. Having some part of the thumb intact would help his right hand have some functionality vs none at all.

As some of you may know, the right wing was on fire which is why Mark's right side was more burned.

I appreciate the approach his doctors took.

They debrided more burned skin from his front lower chest. (It feels never ending). There was some pus in both thighs so they cleaned it up and put ointment on it to prevent infection.

I know many of you along with our family kept Mark's fingers in our prayers.
Let see what his fingers can do. Healing prayers continue to be so appreciated.

His vitals are stable (thankfully) for now. We'll celebrate Mark's birthday tomorrow - he's a 4th of July baby! Mark's brother Steve, his wife Kim and his daughter Megan flew in today from Michigan and they got to see Mark literally seconds before they took him to OR. We plan to spend the 4th with Mark along with Wesley, our Phoenix based friends - Jeff Dempsey and Tracy, Neal and Sue Tessman who have been incredible in their support.

I'm grateful Mark is alive and that he made it through his sepsis episode last night. With God on his side, he will continue to fight whatever comes his way. Dr. Foster said "We are still only at the beginning." And it's been 3 weeks.

Our family has been so deeply touched by the outpouring of love, prayers, and amazing words of encouragement we've received from all of you: our extended families in Canada, Oregon, Texas, Wisconsin, NY, LA. Our friends in the Bay Area, Fennimore, WI, Mark's Stanford GSB classmates, my Chegg family, Wellesley BLC sisters and HKIS friends, Mark's Nevada Nano, Movoto and Form Factor friends to name just a few.

I know Mark feels all your love, prayers and positive thoughts for healing. Adrian, Wesley and I read your messages and cards to him everyday.

Love & hugs to you,
Jenny

• Like 5

Jenny posted this update today on her Lotsahelpinghands blog
Mark's surgery went smoothly today. Here's what they did for his fingers:   Left Hand - They amputated his index finger. Although the ends of his other fingers and thumb are dark (which means serious damage), they decided not to amputate anything else. They want to see how his fingers evolve on their own.   Right Hand - They amputated all fingers - there are some that have a bit of a nub above hand, others that are completely gone. They kept his thumb intact even though it has serious damage to see also how it evolves. It may self-amputate which means the dead part can fall off on its own. Having some part of the thumb intact would help his right hand have some functionality vs none at all.   As some of you may know, the right wing was on fire which is why Mark's right side was more burned.   I appreciate the approach his doctors took.   They debrided more burned skin from his front lower chest. (It feels never ending). There was some pus in both thighs so they cleaned it up and put ointment on it to prevent infection.   I know many of you along with our family kept Mark's fingers in our prayers. Let see what his fingers can do. Healing prayers continue to be so appreciated.   His vitals are stable (thankfully) for now. We'll celebrate Mark's birthday tomorrow - he's a 4th of July baby! Mark's brother Steve, his wife Kim and his daughter Megan flew in today from Michigan and they got to see Mark literally seconds before they took him to OR. We plan to spend the 4th with Mark along with Wesley, our Phoenix based friends - Jeff Dempsey and Tracy, Neal and Sue Tessman who have been incredible in their support.   I'm grateful Mark is alive and that he made it through his sepsis episode last night. With God on his side, he will continue to fight whatever comes his way. Dr. Foster said "We are still only at the beginning." And it's been 3 weeks.   Our family has been so deeply touched by the outpouring of love, prayers, and amazing words of encouragement we've received from all of you: our extended families in Canada, Oregon, Texas, Wisconsin, NY, LA. Our friends in the Bay Area, Fennimore, WI, Mark's Stanford GSB classmates, my Chegg family, Wellesley BLC sisters and HKIS friends, Mark's Nevada Nano, Movoto and Form Factor friends to name just a few.   I know Mark feels all your love, prayers and positive thoughts for healing. Adrian, Wesley and I read your messages and cards to him everyday.   Love & hugs to you, Jenny

Lord God - we plead for this family - please be near - amen

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 8

15 hours ago, LANCECASPER said:

The pilot side door may have saved his life if the right wing was on fire.

The right wing and the pilot side door were both in the debris field well away from the rest of the airplane.    There were accounts that he was taken out the passenger side, but I don't know for certain.   Since the wreckage was upside-down and burning when he was removed, it's fortunate he got out at all.  

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, EricJ said:

The right wing and the pilot side door were both in the debris field well away from the rest of the airplane.    There were accounts that he was taken out the passenger side, but I don't know for certain.   Since the wreckage was upside-down and burning when he was removed, it's fortunate he got out at all.  

I am even more amazed that the fellow who pulled him out managed to do so, since now I imagine he reached into a burning door across a burning wing.  It is a miracle that his angel did not also suffer some burns.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, aviatoreb said:

I am even more amazed that the fellow who pulled him out managed to do so, since now I imagine he reached into a burning door across a burning wing.  It is a miracle that his angel did not also suffer some burns.

Unfortunately there's a good chance that the rescuer has suffered some burns that no one will ever see...that can at times be much worse than wounds from standard thermal damage.  Assuming that he's been following the story, his own emotional wounds could get worse. 

In a perfect world there'd be a way to periodically check with the rescuer's wife or family to see if he's been having any issues (as contacting him directly could be counter-productive if he's in a good place).   

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Tom said:

Unfortunately there's a good chance that the rescuer has suffered some burns that no one will ever see...that can at times be much worse than wounds from standard thermal damage.  Assuming that he's been following the story, his own emotional wounds could get worse. 

In a perfect world there'd be a way to periodically check with the rescuer's wife or family to see if he's been having any issues (as contacting him directly could be counter-productive if he's in a good place).   

We are on top of it.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, Tom said:

That is very insightful and empathetic. And quite a real worry.  I knew someone who went through a very difficult time in just such a scenario once.

• Like 1

From Jenny last night.

The funds are deeply appreciated as some of our family are of modest means and it gives them the ability to travel to see Mark. 

Hi All,
Mark’s temp has come down to 100.7 F. The doctor confirmed from lab results that he has a run of the mill pneumonia but functioning of his lungs look good. His blood culture came back negative. (Great!)

Confirmed that his skin grafts arriving from Boston on Thursday. They’ll assess in surgery tonight (or may be delayed to tomorrow) what areas of his body are ready for skin grafts.

Wednesday he’ll be in surgery so they can prep the sites that will receive skin grafts. It will feel like a big milestone of those grafts can “take” the first time.

Thank you again for your prayers because he so far continues to come out of his bad dips. Your love & support help keep me strong for Mark.

• Like 7

From Jenny this morning

Hi Mike,

I finally got a 8 hours sleep last night which I really needed.  I've been running on empty the last couple weeks in the sleep dept.  Been spending 10 hour days at the hospital. His condition is so dynamic. He can be stable in the morning and by after lunch have issues.  Heading into week 5, I now just really miss him.  He continues to be sedated and they've sewn his eyes shut to promote healing of his eyelids and skin below so they are flexible rather than tight.  Apparently if they don't keep his eyes closed, the skin will heal and he won't be able to close his eyes!

It helps me to remember your miraculous healing.  The other story I've heard is about Lea Woodruff, the ABC news anchor who had part of his skull blasted off him from a bomb that hit his jeep while reporting in Iraq in the the 1990's.  In a strange way, I got prepared for Mark's accident.  A month before Mark's plane crash, Lea Woodruff, our media consultant who works with our leaders at Chegg (I work at an education technology company) gave a talk about Bob's traumatic brain trauma and how the doctors thought he wouldn't make it.  I never knew until then that Bob was her husband.  He miraculously made it and had to re-learn speaking, reading and writing bc he lost it all.  He managed to get back to his news job within a year.  She shared what she and her family went through.  Like you and Alice, she and Bob were the shining light in each other's lives.  They loved each other so much.

I'd known Lea for a couple years (not well, just went thru media training with her) but had no idea until recently that Bob Woodruff was her husband.

I look forward to receiving the co-pilot bear.  :)

• Like 6

2 hours ago, mike_elliott said:

From Jenny this morning

Hi Mike,

I finally got a 8 hours sleep last night which I really needed.  I've been running on empty the last couple weeks in the sleep dept.  Been spending 10 hour days at the hospital. His condition is so dynamic. He can be stable in the morning and by after lunch have issues.  Heading into week 5, I now just really miss him.  He continues to be sedated and they've sewn his eyes shut to promote healing of his eyelids and skin below so they are flexible rather than tight.  Apparently if they don't keep his eyes closed, the skin will heal and he won't be able to close his eyes!

It helps me to remember your miraculous healing.  The other story I've heard is about Lea Woodruff, the ABC news anchor who had part of his skull blasted off him from a bomb that hit his jeep while reporting in Iraq in the the 1990's.  In a strange way, I got prepared for Mark's accident.  A month before Mark's plane crash, Lea Woodruff, our media consultant who works with our leaders at Chegg (I work at an education technology company) gave a talk about Bob's traumatic brain trauma and how the doctors thought he wouldn't make it.  I never knew until then that Bob was her husband.  He miraculously made it and had to re-learn speaking, reading and writing bc he lost it all.  He managed to get back to his news job within a year.  She shared what she and her family went through.  Like you and Alice, she and Bob were the shining light in each other's lives.  They loved each other so much.

I'd known Lea for a couple years (not well, just went thru media training with her) but had no idea until recently that Bob Woodruff was her husband.

I look forward to receiving the co-pilot bear.  :)

WOW what an amazing person Jenny is finding hope and inspiration like that is inspiring for me.  Both of them are still in my daily thoughts and prayers.

And of course - Go Co-Pilot Bear!!!

Erik

Edited by aviatoreb
  • Like 3

I received this from Jenny this morning. Mark has had a rare fungal infection that set in that may dictate he lose his arms also, time will tell.

Mark is in stable condition. He's still getting support from the kidney dialysis machine. While he's still on blood pressure medication, they were able to reduce it again last night (good). His heart rate is good, no arrhymthia (which he's had off and on in past).

He had a small area on his back that was bleeding last night but it's finally stopped. His back was bleeding after surgery yesterday which is expected. They soaked his back in epi wash (epipinephren) to stop the bleeding.

We've gotten to know the family of a young 21 year old man named AJ who had 3rd degree burns to 90% of his body. They've been coming to the burn center everyday for 3 months now. He's doing well and well into his skin graft process. He had his share of infections. His mom told us that everyday, she looks for one positive thing. It's great advice. The difference is that AJ has youth on his side. The doctors told us that when your under 30 years old, you have the best prognosis from an 60-90% burn to your body.

Last night, the positives are that Mark's stable, his blood pressure has slowly been able to function a bit more on it's own (still needs meds), and his heart rate is doing well on its own.

We've learned that his condition can change quickly so let's pray that he can continue to stabilize and fight this infection, both internally and externally. We learned the the anti-fungal medication is more effective for addressing internal organs (through the bloodstream) and not so for his external tissue. It means truly, his immune systems needs to kick this infection particularly because the tissue on his body can't fight the infection via the medication.

Thank you everyone for your round the clock prayers for Mark.

• Like 2