2019 Acclaim Ultra down at DVT

Thanks for update story. Nice related story on rescuers. Over 50 years ago a friend of my brother sustained horrible burns as a child while playing under a parade float. Someone threw fire crackers igniting the float. Multiple surgeries and pain followed. He survived and grew into a beautiful person and a hell of a prep ball player. I am cheering for pilot. Much depends on his will to survive and fight. I wish him and family strength 

Edited by RogueOne
  • Like 1

I can only imagine the terrible pain Mark is going through, my thoughts and prayers for Mark and his wonderful wife Jenny, hang in there Mark your in the prayers of the Mooneyspace family 

• Like 1

On 6/13/2019 at 7:43 AM, LANCECASPER said:

Seeing this aircraft inverted and on fire, it is truly amazing that this hero was even able to get to the pilot to save him!

Last summer we had a T28 crash land at ANE just short of runway 18. 2 people driving by witnessed the crash, stopped their vehicles, jumped a 7’ chain link fence and ran about 100 yards to pull that pilot (who was on fire) to safety and put out his burning flight suit.

It renews your faith in humanity!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MinneMooney said:

Seeing this aircraft inverted and on fire, it is truly amazing that this hero was even able to get to the pilot to save him!

Last summer we had a T28 crash land at ANE just short of runway 18. 2 people driving by witnessed the crash, stopped their vehicles, jumped a 7’ chain link fence and ran about 100 yards to pull that pilot (who was on fire) to safety and put out his burning flight suit.

It renews your faith in humanity!

WOW - I am awe struck by that fellow who pulled him out.  Yes me too this is a good renewal for the faith in humanity.  And how emotionally pulled he was just talking about the health and struggle of the pilot.

• Like 1

On 6/12/2019 at 8:18 PM, Texas Mooney said:

Sad day for Mooney is right.  Misplaced faith in insurance will probably spell doom for Mooney and we will all end up paying.  You do realize that according to GAMA, Mooney only shipped 2 planes in the first quarter of 2019, both Acclaim Ultra's. 

https://gama.aero/wp-content/uploads/2019ShipmentReportQ105172019Final.pdf

This burned out wreck represents 50% of Mooney's new aircraft cashflow.  The $800K+ payout on the hull will just be the tip of insurance loss iceberg.  Then there are years of medical costs.  I am sure the pilot will be suing Mooney, Continental, the FBO.  The passenger will be suing all those and the pilot.  Damages to property on the ground will likely stimulate the same lawsuits.  And let's not forget that insurance is a loss pool.  Once the dust settles on all the claims and settlements, the cost will ultimately be distributed to all the remaining Mooney owners in higher insurance costs as well as higher prices for Continental engines and Mooney parts (IF MOONEY SURVIVES). It is no wonder GA is in a slow motion death.

Why the FBO?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, N201MKTurbo said:

We at Mooney space should make this guy who pulled the pilot out of the plane a nice trophy and crown him the first Mooneyspace hero IN PERPETUITY!

FTFY!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

On ‎6‎/‎15‎/‎2019 at 11:24 AM, LANCECASPER said:

It seems strange it would catch fire again.  After the explosion it kind of burns like a candle.  I'm not a expert on the way fuel burns but it makes me think the possibility of jet fuel contamination.  Just guessing.  

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, kerry said:

It seems strange it would catch fire again.  After the explosion it kind of burns like a candle.  I'm not a expert on the way fuel burns but it makes me think the possibility of jet fuel contamination.  Just guessing.  

I suspect it was just that the wing was upside-down and maybe barfed out some more fuel at that moment, perhaps due to damage from the previous fire.

24 minutes ago, EricJ said:

I suspect it was just that the wing was upside-down and maybe barfed out some more fuel at that moment, perhaps due to damage from the previous fire.

It sounded to me like the guy was using an air powered cut off wheel or something.  Hit some steel or the pavement and poof

• Like 2

11 hours ago, kerry said:

That was my original thought but I noticed on FlightAware that he made it all the way up to 9000 feet before he started having problems. I don't think if it had been mis-fueled with JET-A that he would have made much past the first few hundred feet.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, LANCECASPER said:

That was my original thought but I noticed on FlightAware that he made it all the way up to 9000 feet before he started having problems. I don't think if it had been mis-fueled with JET-A that he would have made much past the first few hundred feet.

Unless he switched tanks after the climb?

36 minutes ago, MikeOH said:

My GoogleFu is failing me...

Does someone have the hero's full name so I can nominate him?

https://www.azfamily.com/video/man-speaks-about-helping-save-pilot-from-burning-plane-in/video_5ea8f532-4409-57d3-8aaa-fb7c6ce5a3b2.html

This video has an interview with him, but I'm not sure they give his name.  My speakers at work....well don't work

22 minutes ago, kpaul said:

https://www.azfamily.com/video/man-speaks-about-helping-save-pilot-from-burning-plane-in/video_5ea8f532-4409-57d3-8aaa-fb7c6ce5a3b2.html

This video has an interview with him, but I'm not sure they give his name.  My speakers at work....well don't work

Got it!

Thomas Hunnicutt

Thanks!

• Like 2