2019 Acclaim Ultra down at DVT

6 hours ago, Mooney 217RN said:

No, I am holding off on calling him or emailing him.  I know where he is at, and I might call the hospital to see how he is doing.  Your comment is my exact thought - if he can tell us what occurred, that may shed some light on the cause.

Good. Now is not the time for him to be placating our curiosity. He is full of pain medication I’ll bet. There will come a time he will share with us his observations. The NTSB will be hounding him to recant the accident well before he is mentally prepared to as it is. Let’s let  Mark heal and let’s help him heal. 

I guarantee you it is a real hero who pulls you from a burning plane. This person I hope becomes known to us, we all owe him a round or two. 

Bobby, thanks for being there for me.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 2

10 hours ago, Texas Mooney said:

Sad day for Mooney is right.  Misplaced faith in insurance will probably spell doom for Mooney and we will all end up paying.  You do realize that according to GAMA, Mooney only shipped 2 planes in the first quarter of 2019, both Acclaim Ultra's. 

https://gama.aero/wp-content/uploads/2019ShipmentReportQ105172019Final.pdf

This burned out wreck represents 50% of Mooney's new aircraft cashflow.  The $800K+ payout on the hull will just be the tip of insurance loss iceberg.  Then there are years of medical costs.  I am sure the pilot will be suing Mooney, Continental, the FBO.  The passenger will be suing all those and the pilot.  Damages to property on the ground will likely stimulate the same lawsuits.  And let's not forget that insurance is a loss pool.  Once the dust settles on all the claims and settlements, the cost will ultimately be distributed to all the remaining Mooney owners in higher insurance costs as well as higher prices for Continental engines and Mooney parts (IF MOONEY SURVIVES). It is no wonder GA is in a slow motion death.

Wow "......no further comment needed from me

6 hours ago, mike_elliott said:

I guarantee you it is a real hero who pulls you from a burning plane. This person I hope becomes known to us, we all owe him a round or two. 

In the interview it was Mr. Tom Honeycutt (is what it sounds like?) and he was a hero for sure.  A man of action with no hesitation!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, LANCECASPER said:

Wow.  In his emotional words after his selfless act his emotion was simply focused on the pilots welfare and his family being able to spend more time with him.  What a wonderful human being...

• Like 8

My condolences to those who know the pilot, I hope his companion are able to recover fully.  It is certainly distressing to read about the crash of a brand new Mooney days after delivery.  I hope we find out what happened, and I do hope Mooney can survive this setback.  

Edited by steingar

On 6/12/2019 at 5:18 PM, Texas Mooney said:

Sad day for Mooney is right.  Misplaced faith in insurance will probably spell doom for Mooney and we will all end up paying.  You do realize that according to GAMA, Mooney only shipped 2 planes in the first quarter of 2019, both Acclaim Ultra's. 

This burned out wreck represents 50% of Mooney's new aircraft cashflow.  The $800K+ payout on the hull will just be the tip of insurance loss iceberg.  Then there are years of medical costs.  I am sure the pilot will be suing Mooney, Continental, the FBO.  The passenger will be suing all those and the pilot.  Damages to property on the ground will likely stimulate the same lawsuits.  And let's not forget that insurance is a loss pool.  Once the dust settles on all the claims and settlements, the cost will ultimately be distributed to all the remaining Mooney owners in higher insurance costs as well as higher prices for Continental engines and Mooney parts (IF MOONEY SURVIVES). It is no wonder GA is in a slow motion death.

You need to leave.

Frankly, I hope your insurance company reads your post and CANCELS your policy.

• Like 3

On 6/12/2019 at 7:18 PM, Texas Mooney said:

Me thinks the lady doth protest to much.  (Agenda)

Neither the time nor the place. (Bad form)

• Like 1

What a great act of selflessness risking your life to help another human he doesn’t even know, this is an act of true an real heroism. After seeing the interview I felt overcome with emotion.

What a man and hero.

• Like 8

Real tough news and I am greatly saddened.  I have flown that departure out of SDL to the north over DVT many times and can visualize what this unfortunate pilot was going through and seeing.  Any accident is tough to read about but this one being a new Mooney, a competent well trained pilot flying in nice VFR is scary and sad.  Many of the variables we associate with accidents like pilot error, weather and bad maintenance seem to be removed from this equation yet this fellow pilot was dealt a bad hand.  My thoughts and condolences are with the pilot and his family.

Heat soak and possible vapor lock was mentioned in an earlier post, while no one can make many conclusions yet I have flown my Mooney and many other airframes that have been heat soaked to over 100 deg at start up with no issues of vapor lock.

So sad about this but a glimmer of hope for humanity in the selfless act of the bystander who risked his life to save this pilot while others were just filming with their phones, amazing!

• Like 3

It’s tragic to hear about things like this.  I’m glad to hear the both lived.  

One thing I thought about,  102 gallons of fuel is a lot of fuel and the second door probably saved one life.  

Imagine being upside down hanging by a seatbelt and the plane is loaded with fuel and on fire.  You have seconds to make your exit. 

While nobody wants to read about this.  The pilot and passenger were lucky to be in a Mooney, which I speculate saved their lives. 

• Like 1

Very sad to read this . Thoughts and prayers to the family and friends.  This is a horrific accident , this outcome is probably a blessing considering how it could of turned out . 

Thank God for the witness who helped him out of the plane . 

Edited by Dan208
Spelling

58 minutes ago, bradp said:

This one makes me wish that Mooney engineering had worked on fuel cells for the new Models.  

Fuel cells for planes are designed for leak mitigation, not impact protection like in Indy cars. The weight would be a large penalty and would need to have self sealing break away  connections. I am sure this has been bought up to engineering many times in the past. I dont know of any planes so designed now.

16 minutes ago, bradp said:

I thought diamond had considered impact protection with their fuel cell design but I could very well be mistaken. 

The fuel tank in the DA40 and twins sits between the two wing spars, which are massive and each capable of supporting the aircraft.  Additionally, all fuel lines are braided steel, and none run through the cabin.  So there is a lot of passive safety. engineered into these planes, and to my knowledge, there has never been a post crash fire in one.

it is not great that two nearly new Acclaims ( this one and the one that Richard parked next to a boat in Lakeland) have  burned after a forced landing.

-dan

Edited by exM20K

Was this a solo flight (pilot only) or was there a passenger?  I am reading conflicting information (in news and here).  Anyone have an update on the pilots condition?  The first few days are a critical time for burn injuries.  I would really appreciate an update if anyone knows.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RogueOne said:

Was this a solo flight (pilot only) or was there a passenger?  I am reading conflicting information (in news and here).  Anyone have an update on the pilots condition?  The first few days are a critical time for burn injuries.  I would really appreciate an update if anyone knows.

News said one person, pilot, no passenger.

• Like 1