2019 Acclaim Ultra down at DVT

17 minutes ago, Bob_Belville said:

I suspected you probably did the transition training... hang in there Mike.

I did not, but a Mooney Pro trainer did that we all know. While we are in speculating stage, this doesn’t appear to be a deficiency in training issue. Mark is a very competent pilot. A few very recognizable Mooney CFi’s have flown with him in this plane and have reached out to me expressing their concern for his well being. Marks ability or decision making is not in our list of causation at this time

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, mike_elliott said:

I did not, but a Mooney Pro trainer did that we all know. While we are in speculating stage, this doesn’t appear to be a deficiency in training issue. Mark is a very competent pilot. A few very recognizable Mooney CFi’s have flown with him in this plane and have reached out to me expressing their concern for his well being. Marks ability or decision making is not in our list of causation at this time

Is it Mark W, or a different Mark? 

Is it Mark W, or a different Mark? 

They briefly show him being put into an ambulance. Looks can be deceiving, but he looked awake and alert. Hopefully his injuries are not severe.
Since he would have been talking to class B departure folks, I would think there would be a mayday exchange?

Tom

4 hours ago, ArtVandelay said:

They briefly show him being put into an ambulance. Looks can be deceiving, but he looked awake and alert. Hopefully his injuries are not severe.
Since he would have been talking to class B departure folks, I would think there would be a mayday exchange?

Tom

For some reason, only that 30 minute time period is not archived out of the last 24 hours

37 minutes ago, ragedracer1977 said:

For some reason, only that 30 minute time period is not archived out of the last 24 hours

When I looked yesterday all of the DVT channels were down.   I figured he was in contact with the tower at some point.

16 hours ago, KLRDMD said:

The FlightAware track shows 1,000-1,500 fpm descent. Engine/cabin fire maybe ?

I was thinking the same at first, but If I had a Cabin fire I think my descent rate would be nearly double that...get it on the ground in any open space. My biggest fear is fumes and flames in a confined space.

4 minutes ago, Shadrach said:

I was thinking the same at first, but If I had a Cabin fire I think my descent rate would be nearly double that...get it on the ground in any open space. My biggest fear is fumes and flames in a confined space.

My biggest fear is hitting the ground out of control. At least this pilot maintained control up until the light pole got in front of him; but honestly, I think they'd be difficult to spot while lining up an emergency road landing . . . . .

1 minute ago, Hank said:

My biggest fear is hitting the ground out of control. At least this pilot maintained control up until the light pole got in front of him; but honestly, I think they'd be difficult to spot while lining up an emergency road landing . . . . .

Fair point but fumes and flames dramatically increase the odds of hitting the ground out of control.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Shadrach said:

I don't disagree but doing that would put you on the ground on a mountain, not on a runway.

This accident is really bothering me.  New airplane, apparently a pilot with recent transition training, a possible engine issue but at higher altitude, urban terrain but several golf courses and open areas within gliding range...all unfortunately resulting in a horrible ending.  I don't want to speculate about what happened but I do hope we get good insight about the accident and the events (hopefully from the pilot - prayers for a quick recovery).  

• Like 1

First off, let me say that I know the pilot personally, and I am shaken to the core over the outcome.

To address the potential engine issue, I wonder if the ambient temperature was a contributing factor.  The plane was on the ground in Scottsdale for 2-3 days.  The pilot departed shortly before 3PM local time, and the ambient temperature was 110 degrees +/-.  The fuel in the aircraft tanks had to have been 100 degrees+.  The aircraft climbed up to 9,100'+ prior to establishing a turn back to DVT and a descent to the ground.

I wonder, and only speculation here, if the pilot whose name I will not divulge didn't recognize a possible inflight vapor lock occurring, which could have in theory been resolved with the low boost pump before a symptom became a critical issue.  Only speculation on my part.

My prayers are with the pilot and his family.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2
  • Sad 1

Hope and pray that his injuries are not too severe and a full and speedy recovery takes place. Have you spoken to your friend and if so anything you can provide as to what happened. Speculation does bring food for thought but facts are truly the best tool for us to all learn from this unfortunate accident. 

30 minutes ago, bonal said:

Hope and pray that his injuries are not too severe and a full and speedy recovery takes place. Have you spoken to your friend and if so anything you can provide as to what happened. Speculation does bring food for thought but facts are truly the best tool for us to all learn from this unfortunate accident. 

No, I am holding off on calling him or emailing him.  I know where he is at, and I might call the hospital to see how he is doing.  Your comment is my exact thought - if he can tell us what occurred, that may shed some light on the cause.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I looked at the flight track again and it looks like whatever happened to cause him to start to descend happened 7 minutes into the flight right after he turned to a heading of 323 to go on course.  Approx. 7 minutes into the flight, his speed drops from 120-130 kts down to 100 kts and climb rate evaporates and he begins a gradual 1200 fpm descent.   When he started to descend, he turned to a heading of 180-190 rather than turning all the way back to 110 which would have put him on a direct heading to KDVT.  He continued on the 180-190 heading for another 3-4 minutes and lost approx. 4000 feet then turned towards KDVT and his descent rate increased to 1400 fpm and speed decreased to 93-106 but unfortunately came up short approximately 3 minutes later.  So we have a 7 minute descent from approx. 9000 feet  seemingly under control and initially away from the nearest airport - although the initial southerly track looks like he may have been aiming for KGEU which is a bit further.

image.thumb.png.23d3ddcf0e440b3a685fda25f85e2af7.png

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Texas Mooney said:

Sad day for Mooney is right.  Misplaced faith in insurance will probably spell doom for Mooney and we will all end up paying.  You do realize that according to GAMA, Mooney only shipped 2 planes in the first quarter of 2019, both Acclaim Ultra's. 

https://gama.aero/wp-content/uploads/2019ShipmentReportQ105172019Final.pdf

This burned out wreck represents 50% of Mooney's new aircraft cashflow.  The $800K+ payout on the hull will just be the tip of insurance loss iceberg.  Then there are years of medical costs.  I am sure the pilot will be suing Mooney, Continental, the FBO.  The passenger will be suing all those and the pilot.  Damages to property on the ground will likely stimulate the same lawsuits.  And let's not forget that insurance is a loss pool.  Once the dust settles on all the claims and settlements, the cost will ultimately be distributed to all the remaining Mooney owners in higher insurance costs as well as higher prices for Continental engines and Mooney parts (IF MOONEY SURVIVES). It is no wonder GA is in a slow motion death.

We've got friends fighting for life in the hospital and you come on and your first ever comment is this garbage? You're seriously concerned about your insurance premium going up? This is the last post I'll ever read of yours and hope to never see you or your Mooney on a ramp anywhere I fly.

• Like 19
  • Thanks 8
  • Sad 1

22 minutes ago, Texas Mooney said:

Sad day for Mooney is right.  Misplaced faith in insurance will probably spell doom for Mooney and we will all end up paying.  You do realize that according to GAMA, Mooney only shipped 2 planes in the first quarter of 2019, both Acclaim Ultra's. 

This burned out wreck represents 50% of Mooney's new aircraft cashflow.  The $800K+ payout on the hull will just be the tip of insurance loss iceberg.  Then there are years of medical costs.  I am sure the pilot will be suing Mooney, Continental, the FBO.  The passenger will be suing all those and the pilot.  Damages to property on the ground will likely stimulate the same lawsuits.  And let's not forget that insurance is a loss pool.  Once the dust settles on all the claims and settlements, the cost will ultimately be distributed to all the remaining Mooney owners in higher insurance costs as well as higher prices for Continental engines and Mooney parts (IF MOONEY SURVIVES). It is no wonder GA is in a slow motion death.

Wow, I do not know you but your post makes me wonder if you and I would get along.  I hope my first impression is wrong and that moreover your assessment is as incorrect as it is in poor taste.  Interestingly, this was your first post on this forum.  How about an introduction before you pontificate?

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

This is your first post, and you have been around since 2012. What is your name? Don't hide behind an alias. I want to make sure we reevaluate the need to help you if that time comes. I have been very non judgemental until I read your post. You contribute nothing and bitch about your potential insurance rates.
You sadden me on a very sad day,

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

• Like 18

Very sad. The landing site looks like bad luck (obstacles) turned a  potentially safe road landing that we would all hope for into a bad accident. I hope he recovers well.  

That takes a lot of heroism to jump into a burning crash site to assist a stranger.  God bless him.  I hope the injuries are less severe than reported and the pilot recovers.  Could of been much worse.  I hope someone is there should I need the courage to fly my stricken bird to the ground...to render aid.  I shall judge not...

Edited by RogueOne
  • Like 11