2019 Acclaim Ultra down at DVT

Ugh.  Filed final altitude was 16,000. Flight aware data consistent with controlled power off glide from 9100? Looks like he tied to make KDVT and came up short? Brand new plane. Ugly crash site.  Hoping for pilot to survive and recover...  

Edited by DXB

3 minutes ago, exM20K said:

listened to Live ATC, and all sounds normal as he's handed of to departure and cleared to 8000.  That archive has only 16 seconds, so no clue there.

-dan

You have a link?

http://archive-server.liveatc.net/ksdl/KSDL2-Twr-Jun-11-2019-2130Z.mp3

3:42 gets squawk

~7:45 freq change

http://archive-server.liveatc.net/kphx/KPHX-App-Satellite-Jun-11-2019-2130Z.mp3

7:54 checks in cleared to 6000

8:52 310 heading

9:45 cleared to 8000

10:18 freq change to 119.2

only 16 seconds on that archive.

Shocking how quickly a normal, Day VFR flight can go bad.  Prayers for his recovery.

The way the wind was this would have been upwind of departure and not consistent with gliding in.  I think he spent very little time at Deer Valley and left again. The way that airplane hit it looked like it has just departed.  I drove past it on my way home today.

Edited by chriscalandro

22 minutes ago, chriscalandro said:

The way the wind was this would have been upwind of departure and not consistent with gliding in.  I think he spent very little time at Deer Valley and left again. The way that airplane hit it looked like it has just departed.  I drove past it on my way home today.

He was never at DVT. Was departing SDL and apparently tried to land at DVT for some unknown emergency

This is a terrible tragedy.  Prayers for the pilot - hope he pulls through and can move past this.  The most shocking thing is that it looks the plane was just new delivered last week.  Brand new Mooney!! 

We all dream of flying one - this dream unfortunately ended in a nightmare.  Am really interested to know what happened and how it could go so wrong so quickly...

Sad day for GA and for Mooneys...  :( 

13 minutes ago, KLRDMD said:

The FlightAware track shows 1,000-1,500 fpm descent. Engine/cabin fire maybe ?

Puzzling - it does seem like he was descending way faster than best glide speed allows even just before coming up short at KDVT, which was clearly his intended landing site.

17 minutes ago, KLRDMD said:

The FlightAware track shows 1,000-1,500 fpm descent. Engine/cabin fire maybe ?

That's what I'm wondering.   He made it on the road okay, too, then hit a bunch of stuff on the right side of the road before hitting that last light pole and flipping over.   Right wing was already on the other side of the road, and the pilot's door was in the debris field behind the airplane.     Looks like maybe he was eager to get it on the ground and then couldn't quite keep control of it once there, or maybe went far right into barriers and light poles avoiding traffic or something.   He went a bit far west before turning back to DVT, so maybe busy with something in the airplane...I hope he survives.

Word is somebody pulled him out of the airplane before the fire got too big.

30 minutes ago, mike_elliott said:

Extremely sad. I am already aware of the accident, and have engaged the Bill Gilliland foundation. I am very close to this particular tragedy. 

Godspeed, Mark. Recover quickly. We are here for you.

I suspected you probably did the transition training... hang in there Mike.

• Like 2