Mooney M20F Pre-Buy Inspection

Hello everyone!

I'm looking at purchasing a 1975 Mooney M20F Exec and have a pre-buy inspection scheduled.

I'm wondering if there's anything specific I should ask the AME to look into. Besides the obvious stuff like corrosion, compliance with ADs, compressions, gears, etc.

Are there any issues the M20F is known to develop and that would be easy to overlook?

Thanks for your advice!

Welcome aboard light chop...

There are many things that you can look to for guidance...

Are you able to use the search function for MooneySpace?

There is multiple suggestions on who and where... and there is the 100 hour inspection checklist...

the topic to search for is called the pre-purchase inspection... or PPI.

Then there is the minimalist approach... compressions, tanks, corrosion, and donuts...

Don’t go minimalist.... that can be expensive...  :)

PP thoughts only, not a mechanic...

Best regards,

-a-

• Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, light_chop said:

Hello everyone!

I'm looking at purchasing a 1975 Mooney M20F Exec and have a pre-buy inspection scheduled.

I'm wondering if there's anything specific I should ask the AME to look into. Besides the obvious stuff like corrosion, compliance with ADs, compressions, gears, etc.

Are there any issues the M20F is known to develop and that would be easy to overlook?

Thanks for your advice!

The PPI check list I use is posted under the downloads section then safety and techniques.

Clarence

8 minutes ago, jaylw314 said:

Nice to see one Canadian helping another! :D 

That is the norm up here, unless you’re a Toronto Maple Leafs and th other person is a Canadiens de Montréal fan...:D:D:D

• Haha 2

17 minutes ago, drapo said:

That is the norm up here, unless you’re a Toronto Maple Leafs and th other person is a Canadiens de Montréal fan...:D:D:D

WE THE NORTH :D

Back to topic: The Mooney has a 2009 engine overhaul, but only 100+some hours TSOH. So only a couple of hours every year. How much of a concern would that be?

12 minutes ago, light_chop said:

WE THE NORTH :D

Back to topic: The Mooney has a 2009 engine overhaul, but only 100+some hours TSOH. So only a couple of hours every year. How much of a concern would that be?

The drier the climate, the less the concern. If stored outdoors, concerns increase significantly. 

My plane had 2 years like this, almost 200 SMOH, when I bought it, and I've had no trouble. Stored indoors, on the banks of the Ohio River along the OH/WV border (not a low-humidity environment). 

Others have not fared as well . . . . .

You pays your money and takes your chances.

....Are there any issues the M20F is known to develop and that would be easy to overlook?...

You may develop a group of jealous friends and a perma-grin leading to excessive laughing and insomnia over the fact that you own an F-ing awesome plane (see what I did there?). You have been warned. Good luck!
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1