Comfort is Key.... perhaps hilarious

I'm headed to Montana in July for TAC (Total Archery Challenge). A few of the "group" (about 30 of us), decided we needed to do a meet and greet. Since the acreage we were setting the archery course up at was a 3 hour drive, I chose to fly two buddies instead. 35 Minute trip one way. 

Here's the interesting part. Vince is 6'5" 320 lbs. Jason is 5'11" 226 lbs. Watching these two (no offense to any other Mooniacs on here of this stature) fat bastards get into my F was almost comical. Really wish I had a camera rolling. 

Just got me to thinking, what's the largest person any of you have put in your plane, and do you have any other suggestions to make this easier? Good news is, the three guys I"m taking with me in July are typically mistaken for fenceposts. All under 170, and lanky. My takeaways from my first transport flight experience:

1- Ask for weights of passengers WELL before flying. I ended up draining 22 Gallons of fuel out, into J-Cans on Friday night just to get within limits of UL. 

2- Hand out headsets AFTER passengers have boarded / settled in. Vince managed to sit on my set of Bose QC25 / uFlyMike set in the back seat. Ripped the mic off, and one of the ear cushions. I"ll PIREP the uFlyMike and headset and tell you that they're durable, but a little tedious in getting the foam back into place. 

3- As seen by the photo, I chose to bring "Light beer" for the passengers. You can never be too safe when it comes to weight.  

4- As I've typically done solo flights, and maybe with an instructor/ one passenger, I learned that you need to watch what you say. The Phrases of "oh $hit!", or "F%%K!", were quickly responded by "OMG WHAT???" from partially inexperienced Mooney individuals. In reality, it was me not setting a timer, or plugging in my ipad, and that was my way AHA! moment, and my response. (Note: In Jason's defense, he did survive a float plane flipping over on its' wings last fall, while on a sheep hunt in Northern BC, so I have to understand a slight bit of "long tail cat in a rocking chair store" mentality).

Mooney.jpg

• Like 4
  • Haha 3

Tried to fly my old airplane partner and couldn't get the seat belt around him.  Big boy.  Embarrassing for both of us.  If there is any question I ask for weights well in advance.

I carry a seat belt extender in my plane just for that. Had a friend pushing 275 fly with me a few times and thankfully I anticipated the issue and was ready.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

3 minutes ago, EricJ said:

What do you do with the J-cans with the fuel drained for weight?   I usually put them in the baggage compartment so it's available to use later in the trip.

;)

This falls under the same ideology of your suitcase weighing too much, and moving 10 lbs to your carry on, and that’s okay. 

• Like 1

[mention=12849]eman1200[/mention] a “sheep”
F844F18B-741C-4D82-A311-C84FF620EF47.jpeg.0bbb743eb490cbaefa470f4fc2746557.jpeg

Dayum!

I dunno though, just cause you put “mountain” or “bighorn” or “bloods” or “crips” in front of the word “sheep” wouldn’t make it easier for me to shoot one. But that actually does look like fun and when I did hunt deer it was only with bow. Pheasant and turkey on the other hand, say hello to my lil friend.....

Just now, eman1200 said:

Dayum!

I dunno though, just cause you put “mountain” or “bighorn” or “bloods” or “crips” in front of the word “sheep” wouldn’t make it easier for me to shoot one. But that actually does look like fun and when I did hunt deer it was only with bow. Pheasant and turkey on the other hand, say hello to my lil friend.....

I have moose, whitetail, mule deer walking in my back yard. Elk hunting within 3. I’m 45 minutes from a great pheasant site, an hour from Sage grouse and Grey partridge, and smack dab in the middle of snow and Canada goose flyways. 

Black bear hunting is 2 hours drive. Bighorns are 3-4. 

Yes, this is God’s country!!!

I have moose, whitetail, mule deer walking in my back yard. Elk hunting within 3. I’m 45 minutes from a great pheasant site, an hour from Sage grouse and Grey partridge, and smack dab in the middle of snow and Canada goose flyways. 
Black bear hunting is 2 hours drive. Bighorns are 3-4. 
Yes, this is God’s country!!!

You forgot “and I fly a mooney, b!tches!”

Actually, how close is the closest landing strip to all that action?
  • Haha 1

Just now, eman1200 said:

You forgot “and I fly a mooney, b!tches!”

Actually, how close is the closest landing strip to all that action?

Within 15 minutes any which way. Except for the sheep. You could land on a mountain side, but probably won’t take off again. 

10 hours ago, GLJA said:

I'm headed to Montana in July for TAC (Total Archery Challenge). A few of the "group" (about 30 of us), decided we needed to do a meet and greet. Since the acreage we were setting the archery course up at was a 3 hour drive, I chose to fly two buddies instead. 35 Minute trip one way. 

Here's the interesting part. Vince is 6'5" 320 lbs. Jason is 5'11" 226 lbs. Watching these two (no offense to any other Mooniacs on here of this stature) fat bastards get into my F was almost comical. Really wish I had a camera rolling. 

Just got me to thinking, what's the largest person any of you have put in your plane, and do you have any other suggestions to make this easier? Good news is, the three guys I"m taking with me in July are typically mistaken for fenceposts. All under 170, and lanky. My takeaways from my first transport flight experience:

1- Ask for weights of passengers WELL before flying. I ended up draining 22 Gallons of fuel out, into J-Cans on Friday night just to get within limits of UL. 

2- Hand out headsets AFTER passengers have boarded / settled in. Vince managed to sit on my set of Bose QC25 / uFlyMike set in the back seat. Ripped the mic off, and one of the ear cushions. I"ll PIREP the uFlyMike and headset and tell you that they're durable, but a little tedious in getting the foam back into place. 

3- As seen by the photo, I chose to bring "Light beer" for the passengers. You can never be too safe when it comes to weight.  

4- As I've typically done solo flights, and maybe with an instructor/ one passenger, I learned that you need to watch what you say. The Phrases of "oh $hit!", or "F%%K!", were quickly responded by "OMG WHAT???" from partially inexperienced Mooney individuals. In reality, it was me not setting a timer, or plugging in my ipad, and that was my way AHA! moment, and my response. (Note: In Jason's defense, he did survive a float plane flipping over on its' wings last fall, while on a sheep hunt in Northern BC, so I have to understand a slight bit of "long tail cat in a rocking chair store" mentality).

Mooney.jpg

Wow big dude.  Which team does he play lineman for?

On ‎6‎/‎10‎/‎2019 at 7:52 PM, GLJA said:

This falls under the same ideology of your suitcase weighing too much, and moving 10 lbs to your carry on, and that’s okay. 

When on a hike: "My legs weight giving out from the weight in my pack, so I at the food I packed to lighten the load on my legs."

• Like 1