M20J IO-360 cam wiped, besides a reman, what else to change in the meantime?

jkarch

23 hours ago, jkarch said:

How long was your estimate? Mine is 9 weeks including shutdown:(

They quoted me 9 weeks and it took 11-1/2. The real problem was communication. No one told me -- or Air Power that I bought the engine from -- that it was going to ship late. I had time reserved at the shop for the installation and had to keep rescheduling. The shop was very good about juggling, but it wasn't really very fair to them. I never could get a good ship date until I got the email that it had shipped. Then, the shipper agreed to call me to arrange a delivery time. Never got a call -- it just showed up one day. Moral is, it gets there when it gets there. Be careful unpacking it so you can reuse the packing to return the core.

Skip

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, PT20J said:

They quoted me 9 weeks and it took 11-1/2. The real problem was communication. No one told me -- or Air Power that I bought the engine from -- that it was going to ship late. I had time reserved at the shop for the installation and had to keep rescheduling. The shop was very good about juggling, but it wasn't really very fair to them. I never could get a good ship date until I got the email that it had shipped. Then, the shipper agreed to call me to arrange a delivery time. Never got a call -- it just showed up one day. Moral is, it gets there when it gets there. Be careful unpacking it so you can reuse the packing to return the core.

Skip

This is what I’m afraid of.  Bye bye summer!  Then I need to break it in over fall and winter in the northwest! Lots of milk runs to the coast and back at 2500 ft and full bore till at least 30-50 hours...

The above is why I didn't go with the factory. With Aero Engines of Winchester, $24,300, including shipping, my engine arrived with new flow matched cylinders, new camshaft, et cetera. Had I gone to Lycoming at that very time, I would've been facing an engine teardown in the near future due to an AD for rod bushings. I guess what I'm getting at is that I had all of the same motivations for going with a factory overhaul thinking that it would give me some sort of advantage over an overhaul shop. The long wait put me off and I ended up dodging multiple bullets by going with a different shop. It wasn't the money (I did end up buying the Rocket 9 months later and still have the F). 

https://www.lycoming.com/sites/default/files/SB632B Connecting Rod Identification.pdf