Camping tips

On 6/9/2019 at 9:32 PM, BKlott said:

My Wife and I have found over the years that camping at the Hampton Inn works well for us.

Us too!  

Our days of packing 35 pounds apiece and the canoe into Algonquin park are over.  

Schlepping across the grass on the North 40 to the port-a-potty twice per night has lost all the lustre that activity may ever have had.  AmericInn for us.  

• Like 1

Got the ice chest figured out, I bought the rtic 30 and a backpack style for all the walking around I’ll be doing. Thanks for all the input.

*New question* For the people with solar chargers what models are you using?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

On 6/12/2019 at 8:29 PM, Ned Gravel said:

Us too!  

Our days of packing 35 pounds apiece and the canoe into Algonquin park are over.  

Schlepping across the grass on the North 40 to the port-a-potty twice per night has lost all the lustre that activity may ever have had.  AmericInn for us.  

Ironically, my Wife and I just checked in to the Hampton Inn in Kerrville...

Ironically, my Wife and I just checked in to the Hampton Inn in Kerrville...

I stayed there three years ago when I bought my plane and it was going through a prenup at DUGOSH.

• Like 1

On 6/13/2019 at 5:32 PM, xcrmckenna said:

Got the ice chest figured out, I bought the rtic 30 and a backpack style for all the walking around I’ll be doing. Thanks for all the input.

*New question* For the people with solar chargers what models are you using?

I use the Anker with a 30000mAh battery.  The charger has a 1a and 2a USB port for direct charging of phones and iPads.  The battery allows me the juice to charge 6 or 7 friends phones when the sun isn’t shining.  You can even hang it on your backpack and charge as you are walking around.

I just charge my devices at the MooneyCaravan tent. There are plenty of power strips and a generator powering them.

I’m also thinking further events. Or the days I’m to hungover to get out of my tent...

We have a small (maybe 12 can) Coleman soft side that we take drinks and snacks in the plane.

Going to bring my bad boy with me this time.  Will probably freeze water bottles and put some wet ice on top.  It works well as a fan even with no ice as KP states above. 

I have the Rav power solar charger. I like it. It lives in the airplane now as part of my emergency pack  

These little camping lanterns are worth their weight in gold. 

I got a little power brick that will charge my iPhone 3-4x on a single charge.  I have a tiny freebie one that I could carry with us during the day that would do a single charge but was more than sufficient.  The mooney caravan had a generator last year.  

Nothing like carrying a 4 year old a quarter mile to the potty after midnight along the road.  But it’s oshkosh and you can’t trade those memories for anything :-) 

Here’s a copy of our packing list from last year.  This was for a 4 year old and her dad.  

• Hammer for tent stakes 
  • Navdata
  • Cash
  • Tent
  • Foldable stroller
  • Camping chairs 
  • Tarp / footprint 
  • Picnic blanket (waterproof backing) 
  • Camping mattress x 2 
  • Sleeping bag for Olivia and Brad
  • Sun hat for Olivia and Brad
  • Sunscreen
  • Bug stuff
  • Shower stuff - shower shoes (Olivia flip flops at dollar general) 
  • Toiletries / wipes / body cleaning wipes 
  • flashlights lantern 
  • Batteries  AAA and AA
  • Solar charger 
  • Rain jacket : umbrella
  • Fleece / jacket 
  • Trash bag / laundry 
  • Ponchos 
  • Towels / washcloth 
  • Cooler 
  • beer hydration water drinks Gatorade powder whiskey 
  • whiskey for party