Camping tips

Trying to get my gear together for camping at Oshkosh. And wondering if anyone has tips on a soft side cooler? I would like a larger one. I found this one on Amazon but up for advice from the experts...

40f7c0ca670aa586c2bb9dcfe1177569.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Depends on your goal for the cooler.  The soft sided ones I have used are usually good for an afternoon.  We used then at our kid's swim meets.  They kept drinks cold but the ice would be fully melted by the end of the day.  It would lead to many trips to the camp store for more ice.

At OSH, I bring my cooler that doubles as an A/C. I don't keep perishable food in it, but it supports ice for a couple of days.  If the nights ever get too warm, I can turn on the fan and pump and cool the tent.

• Like 1

that could be the ugliest cooler I've ever seen.  nope, it definitely is.

EDIT:  I'm always caution about these soft coolers in the plane.  a lot of the cheaper ones tend to 'sweat' and can get the plane wet, and that would make me mad.

Edited by eman1200
  • Like 4
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, kpaul said:

Depends on your goal for the cooler.  The soft sided ones I have used are usually good for an afternoon.  We used then at our kid's swim meets.  They kept drinks cold but the ice would be fully melted by the end of the day.  It would lead to many trips to the camp store for more ice.

At OSH, I bring my cooler that doubles as an A/C. I don't keep perishable food in it, but it supports ice for a couple of days.  If the nights ever get too warm, I can turn on the fan and pump and cool the tent.

A buddy flies to camping regularly (I mean, a LOT) and uses his B-Kool as his cooler.   Does double duty that way and apparently still keeps everything cold sufficiently long.

• Like 1

that could be the ugliest cooler I've ever seen.  nope, it definitely is.

EDIT:  I'm always caution about these soft coolers in the plane.  a lot of the cheaper ones tend to 'sweat' and can get the plane wet, and that would make me mad.

It is, it totally is the ugliest one I found:) It’s three dollars less than the other colors they have in the same model. But I figured if I saved a few bucks I wouldn’t have to worry about anyone snagging it.

My plan isn’t to have it filled with ice while in the plane just at the camp site so I can have something cool to drink when I need a rest from all the wonderful activities that is Oshkosh :)

The bkool is a good idea but I’m wanting the soft side one for space savings on the way there and back. I’ll have a friend with me so I want to keep as much available space for tents and cheap oil on the way home....

9 minutes ago, xcrmckenna said:

The bkool is a good idea but I’m wanting the soft side one for space savings on the way there and back. I’ll have a friend with me so I want to keep as much available space for tents and cheap oil on the way home....emoji23.pngemoji23.pngemoji23.png

Usually, enroute I use the bkool as storage. You can pack a fair amount of dry goods in a hard sided cooler.  The last two years it has only been for drinks at the campsite, the weather has been nice not requiring A/C in the plane or tent.

Cheap usually means it will leak or sweat.  That is ok as long as you only use in under the plane and not in it or in your tent.

• Like 1

We've always used soft side coolers in the plane. Like you say, they take up less room and are easier to back around. I used to have a bkool but got rid of it as it just seemed to be more hassle than it was worth. The best aircon is to just take off and climb. :-)

The nice thing about camping with the Caravan is that we will have some large coolers full of cold drinks most of the time. We usually have some for hydration and some for adults. You can also get away without bringing other things such as a table/chairs. Although some camping chairs are nice for sitting in the grass out on the flight line and carrying with you to the air-shows, etc.

I'm happy to chat off line about camping with the Caravan and what to bring, etc. 

FYI... there is a Target within walking distance for all the stuff you forget to bring or decided to leave at home because of weight.

• Like 2

As with everything else, depends on the mission. When I was feeding myself at the show I carried the largest cooler that would fit in the luggage bay. It held cold food and drinks on the way there and dirty clothes on the way back. Now that I’m not feeding myself I’ll probably bring a smaller cooler for drinks. I don’t think the soft sided jobs keep as long. Depending on where you are ice can be a little hard to come by on the field.

If it is only 2 of you take the rear seat back out give your a lot more room and bring a 24 qt hard sided ice chest that fits in the baggage door.  That is what I do for SnF.

That’s a great idea if it wasn’t so hard to take out my back seat. But I might work on it.

5 hours ago, xcrmckenna said:

Any leaks?

Absolutely not. Things like 2 inch thick walls. Usually I keep it in the back seat and I keep food, drinks, snacks, and I carry a charcoal grill. I use 2lb ice packs that usually fit in the small hotel freezers but ice works in a pinch.

I don't remember what size mine is, not the smallest but 2nd smallest I think, it fit great in the back seat of the k models.

Edited by peevee
  • Like 1

Absolutely not. Things like 2 inch thick walls. Usually I keep it in the back seat and I keep food, drinks, snacks, and I carry a charcoal grill. I use 2lb ice packs that usually fit in the small hotel freezers but ice works in a pinch.
I don't remember what size mine is, not the smallest but 2nd smallest I think, it fit great in the back seat of the k models.

Thanks for the pirep.

14 hours ago, xcrmckenna said:

Thanks for the pirep.

the liner is all one piece and the exterior shell is bonded rubber like material, you'd have to puncture it to get it to leak. I think the zipper is waterproof too if it fell over but I haven't tested it. I think I have the 30 but it's hard to tell. I can measure it if it came down to it. It's sort of hard to get a feel for their size from the website. I ordered a hard side too but deemed it simply too heavy for flying. It's a quality product, I can say that with confidence. When we go out for a week we tend to make multiple stops, so I'll load it up with cider, beer, cokes, lunch materials, snacks, water, you name it and haul it from spot to spot. Take it on beach BBQ's, picnics... it's been everywhere.

509519186.jpg

Edited by peevee
  • Like 1

I use a Yeti Hopper - the thing is amazing, light and keeps things cold. RTIC is the more cost effective route and probably just as good but I've never done hands on research to that. 

I'm a big camper and have noticed when I buy something cheap it might work once or twice then I have to buy something to replace it and it's usually the more expensive item. Spend money on durable items that will last multiple trips and you'll only have to buy it once for the rest of your life. Good outdoor products should last forever. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, DustinNwind said:

I use a Yeti Hopper - the thing is amazing, light and keeps things cold. RTIC is the more cost effective route and probably just as good but I've never done hands on research to that. 

I'm a big camper and have noticed when I buy something cheap it might work once or twice then I have to buy something to replace it and it's usually the more expensive item. Spend money on durable items that will last multiple trips and you'll only have to buy it once for the rest of your life. Good outdoor products should last forever. 

I haven't compared the soft side, but the hard side coolers are pretty comparable.

1 hour ago, peevee said:

I haven't compared the soft side, but the hard side coolers are pretty comparable.

I should have made myself more clear - I don't think RTIC is cheap or subpar to Yeti, I was referring to Target soft coolers or amazon soft coolers. 

• Like 1

I love camping...but when it’s hot and humid out,I simply can’t sleep...20 degrees out in the high Sierra ,no problem ,wife and I are snugly...90 degrees ,90 % humidity and both of us can’t even remember why we came!Charles,text me and I will give you Genes number and you can sleep in his Green Bay packers memorial air conditioned room.Forget camping...

We have no problem taking a large cooler. The picture shows what I packed last year in our C model and still had room for me, my wife and my 9-yo grandson.  We don’t use suitcases as they take up valuable space.  We use the heavy duty vacuum bags for our clothes, bedding and towels.  We got tired of buying ice and bought the biggest Yeti knockoff (Ozark Trails because I am a CB) that would fit through the door.  

559A41D9-BE87-4297-B2DC-3671568E55C7.jpeg

9 hours ago, thinwing said:

I love camping...but when it’s hot and humid out,I simply can’t sleep...20 degrees out in the high Sierra ,no problem ,wife and I are snugly...90 degrees ,90 % humidity and both of us can’t even remember why we came!Charles,text me and I will give you Genes number and you can sleep in his Green Bay packers memorial air conditioned room.Forget camping...

I can relate to this. And once becoming affluent enough to own a Mooney, it also means I can generally afford to sleep indoors as well. But the one time a year, we sleep in the tent outdoors, is at Oshkosh. There's just so much going on early in the morning around a fresh pot of coffee, and late at night around a cup of something that hasn't been fresh in at least 25 years. If we were going alone to Oshkosh just for the airplanes, we'd get a room. But going with the Caravan and all our friends, is a great experience that can really only be fully experienced by sleeping in a tent by your airplane.

PS - being awakened at 6:10am by the roar of three 12 cylinder Merlins in formation rolling on the runway a mere yards from your tent, is worth the experience.

• Like 3

Sounds like good times, but I think I’m with Paul in this one. I’m looking forward to hanging out with everyone at the campsite. Not having the little one and better half, camping will be a little easier

• Like 1