Who repairs King HSI’s?

N9405V

Ok, my HSI appears to have developed a case of the course select knob no longer functioning. Who would you recommend I send it to for repair?

I’d love to do the dual G5 route, but my daughter is stating college in the fall and funds are already committed there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On 6/8/2019 at 8:26 AM, N9405V said:

Ok, my HSI appears to have developed a case of the course select knob no longer functioning. Who would you recommend I send it to for repair?

I’d love to do the dual G5 route, but my daughter is stating college in the fall and funds are already committed there.

What about a single G5?  When my HSI flaked, that is what I did.  There is no technical reason to think in terms of "pair".  Leaves money for college tuition and upgrades your panel.  

-dan

13 hours ago, Dan at S43 said:

What about a single G5?  When my HSI flaked, that is what I did.  There is no technical reason to think in terms of "pair".  Leaves money for college tuition and upgrades your panel.  

-dan

-dan,

Do you have that hooked up to a BK autopilot as well?

I’m starting to plan my next steps for my BK HSI... with a full functioning KAP150.

Best regards,

-a-

10 hours ago, carusoam said:

-dan,

Do you have that hooked up to a BK autopilot as well?

I’m starting to plan my next steps for my BK HSI... with a full functioning KAP150.

Best regards,

-a-

@carusoam I am very happy with the G5 install.  I also have the KAP150, original spec for this 1983 J.  The old King HSI was replaced with the G5, including a new magnetometer in the wing, and a box that permits the G5 to talk to the KAP150 for heading and glideslope.  Summary: I lost no autopilot function and gained GPSS.  In case you are curious, I also have a 430W which talks to the G5.

G5 function is great, and only adds to what the original HSI did.  I like that the MFD is there too, in case of AI failure.  Partial panel is much easier this way.  One thing to watch for, if you tune in the ILS but you have not activated the approach, the needle has to be moved manually to runway heading.  Yes, I know it does not change the signal, but I consider it good practice to point the needle to match your target heading.

Unfortunately, you cannot replace the AI with a G5 and still use the KAP150.  At least not directly.  I have seen a J sold here (N7677V) where they installed a single G5 for the AI and looks like the old vacuum AI was moved to the co-pilot side in order to feed the autopilot.  

I want to ditch the AI so I can be vacuum-free.  But for now, that means planning an autopilot change at the same time, and that makes the job pricey. 

• Like 1

We can only hope that the rumors of Garmin announcing the G5 to work with BK autopilots at Oshkosh are true...

I get the potential strategy of selling more GFC500s, but with all of the BK systems aging and the cost of repairs high, it would seem they have more to gain by selling a ton of G5’s and then letting people switch out the AP as their BK start to fail.  The G5 is also required as a backup option for a G3X or TXI so purchasing the G5 could be the “gateway” drug for a future upgrade to a larger Garmin unit.  

• 4 months later...