Found corrosion in the wing!

drapo

12 hours ago, M20Doc said:

Trying to figure the exact location as well.  The part number in the picture is the main spar web, item 42 in the IPC.

Clarence

0975BE6F-57D2-4641-B5F5-1C64FD23DB88.jpeg

What we're looking at are stiffeners #47 and 49.

12 hours ago, Pmaxwell said:

Looks like it’s at the splice plate where the inner spar connects to the outer spar. It’s repairable by replacing the spar cap and maybe the doubler. Requires drilling down the bottom wing skins from the belly outward knocking out the huck bolts and drilling out a lot of rivets and detaching everything in the way. We’ve replaced four spar caps in the last year. Although a lot of work at 120-150 hours still cheaper than getting a new wing and transferring it.  If you have some questions on it give us a call be happy to give some advice to whoever decides to tackle this.  

Exactly what we're looking at, we're looking at parts price and availability to finalize the estimate and take the decision.

Thanks for the offer, I'll transmit it to my AME/AMO.

• 3 months later...

So, here we are! After I found out about the corrosion in the wing, I had to take a decision about C-GJDP flying future... My AME/AMO was very cooperative and he wanted to save the Mooney from the scrapyard but there was a cost to it and I had to take the final decision. 

BTW, special thanks and kudos to Don and Paul from the Maxwell family, who offered advice and support to my team and, frankly, without their help, I would be selling parts of a Mooney on the internet as a hobby!

Here are pictures to illustrate the work that was done, as per the Mooney maintenance manuals and The Maxwell's advice:

First, at the bottom, the condition of the doubler and the spar cap we had to replace (both sides) with the replacement part on top.

IMG_0062_zpse6eqeye8.jpg

Took off some of the rivets to unskin the wings bottom to have access to the area and everything was cleaned before replacing the parts and corrosion proofed afterwards.

IMG_0055_zps5zfo7ldd.jpg

I should be back flying the Mooney in the next few weeks, with its newly overhauled engine and prop and a corrosion-free wing! Lost a summer of flying and some dineros ($) along the way, but I'm happy I took the decision to keep it flying, as I've rented a few C and P brand planes while mine was in the shop, and I don't think I could return to that kind of flying... :)

• Like 13

3 hours ago, drapo said:

So, here we are! After I found out about the corrosion in the wing, I had to take a decision about C-GJDP flying future... My AME/AMO was very cooperative and he wanted to save the Mooney from the scrapyard but there was a cost to it and I had to take the final decision. 

BTW, special thanks and kudos to Don and Paul from the Maxwell family, who offered advice and support to my team and, frankly, without their help, I would be selling parts of a Mooney on the internet as a hobby!

Here are pictures to illustrate the work that was done, as per the Mooney maintenance manuals and The Maxwell's advice:

First, at the bottom, the condition of the doubler and the spar cap we had to replace (both sides) with the replacement part on top.

IMG_0062_zpse6eqeye8.jpg

Took off some of the rivets to unskin the wings bottom to have access to the area and everything was cleaned before replacing the parts and corrosion proofed afterwards.

IMG_0055_zps5zfo7ldd.jpg

I should be back flying the Mooney in the next few weeks, with its newly overhauled engine and prop and a corrosion-free wing! Lost a summer of flying and some dineros ($) along the way, but I'm happy I took the decision to keep it flying, as I've rented a few C and P brand planes while mine was in the shop, and I don't think I could return to that kind of flying... :)

Great News!  Saved another one from the grave!!

Tom

• Like 1

4 hours ago, drapo said:

Glad to hear and thanks for sharing!   Was the new piece fabricated or did you buy that somewhere?

1 hour ago, EricJ said:

Glad to hear and thanks for sharing!   Was the new piece fabricated or did you buy that somewhere?

My AME bought the replacement parts direct from Mooney and, yes, simple metal parts cost a lot of money once they went through the Mooney process :wacko:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, drapo said:

My AME bought the replacement parts direct from Mooney and, yes, simple metal parts cost a lot of money once they went through the Mooney process :wacko:

Not a bad idea to go that way for a relatively large, structural part, though.

• 2 weeks later...