Found corrosion in the wing!

drapo

So, my annual started mid-April and was postponed a few times for parts, but now that everything is installed, my AME was going through the last steps of the inspection, meaning wing panels, when he encountered some corrosion in the mid-wing area front spar(about 8ft from the cabin), where a steel doubler is located. 

We've contacted Mooney to find out if there are any repair procedures in place if not??? Any advice @M20Doc or anyone?

FrontSpar_zpsbmobb3ba.jpg

• Sad 5

20 minutes ago, drapo said:

So, my annual started mid-April and was postponed a few times for parts, but now that everything is installed, my AME was going through the last steps of the inspection, meaning wing panels, when he encountered some corrosion in the mid-wing area front spar(about 8ft from the cabin), where a steel doubler is located.

FrontSpar_zpsbmobb3ba.jpghttps://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g245/drapierre/FrontSpar_zpsbmobb3ba.jpg

Oh this is very depressing. I am very sorry to hear it.   This is going to be very painfully expensive.

I had a wing spar corrosion issues a few years back, on one spar and it was not as bad as I see there.  In the end it required that we replace the wing spar - at great expense.  The hull value did merit the expense, and it was determined it was exactly that one spar and no more, and now its as good as new.  

In your case, I am guessing that part will need to be replaced.  Given that you have a e, I am guessing a wing replacement may be the cheaper way to go.  I have tks which made wing replacement not likely.  

These things come up occasionally on eBay, but be sure these are also corrosion free before thinking about it.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/220000-525-Mooney-M20F-Wing-Assy-Complete/252733467781?epid=2217129291&hash=item3ad816ac85:g:zdYAAOSw4DJYgoLt

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Mooney-M20C-Single-Piece-Wing-Assy/253864141018?hash=item3b1b7b60da:g:Pj8AAOSwGs9bl9n1

3 minutes ago, aviatoreb said:

Oh this is very depressing. I am very sorry to hear it.   This is going to be very painfully expensive.

I had a wing spar corrosion issues a few years back, on one spar and it was not as bad as I see there.  In the end it required that we replace the wing spar - at great expense.  The hull value did merit the expense, and it was determined it was exactly that one spar and no more, and now its as good as new.  

In your case, I am guessing that part will need to be replaced.  Given that you have a e, I am guessing a wing replacement may be the cheaper way to go.  I have tks which made wing replacement not likely.  

These things come up occasionally on eBay, but be sure these are also corrosion free before thinking about it.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/220000-525-Mooney-M20F-Wing-Assy-Complete/252733467781?epid=2217129291&hash=item3ad816ac85:g:zdYAAOSw4DJYgoLt

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Mooney-M20C-Single-Piece-Wing-Assy/253864141018?hash=item3b1b7b60da:g:Pj8AAOSwGs9bl9n1

Thanks for caring! Unlikely that I will spend the money to install a new wing.

If I can't repair, that will be the end of it and I will have a few good Monney parts for sale!

Stay tuned! :wacko:

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, drapo said:

Thanks for caring! Unlikely that I will spend the money to install a new wing.

If I can't repair, that will be the end of it and I will have a few good Monney parts for sale!

Stay tuned! :wacko:

I hope there is a way drapo!!!!

31 minutes ago, KSMooniac said:

I'd consult with Don Maxwell...his shop has repaired far worse in-situ. Don't give up easily or quickly!

Sent from my LG-US996 using Tapatalk

Yes, definitely consult Mr Maxwell.

I had mine repaired (and again it was not nearly so bad but it did require a new spar cap) and it was done insitu.  But that was comparable to the expense of replacing the wing if it had been just a regular wing, but then given it have tks installed, then it was clearly cheaper by a wide margin to repair the spar cap.  That was a low and difficult point for my airplane ownership.  

Thanks Guys, my AME is an approved repair station, he has repaired lot worst but never on a Mooney, so he wants to be sure whether there are a no special instructions or guidelines before he evaluates the repair.

6 minutes ago, FloridaMan said:

One of my biggest fears. 

Did all of this develop since the previous annual? Did you ever get it treated previously? I get both my Mooneys fogged with one of the LPS variants every two years. 

Inspected every annual, but I haven’t flown for close to six months. 

We just got a reply from Mooney and it is repairable, I should have the estimate by tomorrow. We’ll see !

• Like 1

In addition to Don Maxwell, who is excellent by the way, another shop in Texas, SouthWest Texas Aviation has also done this type of repair work on Mooneys. Specifically mine. So you might also reach out to JD who owns that shop as well.

I'm afraid the quote from Mooney will be outrageously expensive. But Don and JD have both done these repairs for reasonable costs.

• Like 5

23 minutes ago, gsxrpilot said:

In addition to Don Maxwell, who is excellent by the way, another shop in Texas, SouthWest Texas Aviation has also done this type of repair work on Mooneys. Specifically mine. So you might also reach out to JD who owns that shop as well.

I'm afraid the quote from Mooney will be outrageously expensive. But Don and JD have both done these repairs for reasonable costs.

Don’t worry, I won’t use Mooney for repairs, my local AME has all the qualification and has performed structural repairs on all kind of aircrafts, including F18, Beavers and others. At the end of the day, it wiill depend on how much it will cost.

• Like 1

I kept wondering about an Aviation Medical Examiner doing annuals and finding corrosion, and then I figured out it's a Canuck thing.

I was thinking all kinds of interesting things before that.

Kind of disappointed.  ;)

Edited by EricJ
  • Like 1

Wing Spar repairs in Canada need to be completed by an AMO (Approved Maintenance Organization) duly rated for structures and employing AME’s (Aircraft Maintenance Engineers) with a Structures repair licence rated in this case for aluminum structures.

You can use Mooney engineering for the repair or hire an outside organization.

Clarence

1 hour ago, M20Doc said:

Wing Spar repairs in Canada need to be completed by an AMO (Approved Maintenance Organization) duly rated for structures and employing AME’s (Aircraft Maintenance Engineers) with a Structures repair licence rated in this case for aluminum structures.

You can use Mooney engineering for the repair or hire an outside organization.

Clarence

Yes Clarence, Éric Fauteux at Lachute is an AMO and is my AME and a friend! He contacted Mooney and got the engineering details to perform the repair, it's now only a matter of how much it will cost, more like a business decision.

40 minutes ago, Danb said:

That stinks Drapo hope it turns out better than expected.

Thanks, we shall see!

• Like 1

Looks like it’s at the splice plate where the inner spar connects to the outer spar. It’s repairable by replacing the spar cap and maybe the doubler. Requires drilling down the bottom wing skins from the belly outward knocking out the huck bolts and drilling out a lot of rivets and detaching everything in the way. We’ve replaced four spar caps in the last year. Although a lot of work at 120-150 hours still cheaper than getting a new wing and transferring it.  If you have some questions on it give us a call be happy to give some advice to whoever decides to tackle this.  

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

5 hours ago, EricJ said:

I kept wondering about an Aviation Medical Examiner doing annuals and finding corrosion, and then I figured out it's a Canuck thing.

Well, his plane is going to need some major surgery

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Another shop I would call is Beegles Aircraft in Colorado.  They are a structural repair shop known to do excellent work and are the preferred repair shop for many owners.  

They know Mooney aircraft.

john Breda

• Like 1