Looking at a plane in Chandler, AZ...

afward

3 hours ago, MikeOH said:

EXACTLY!

Assuming the seller actually wants to SELL, then I just can't imagine being so lazy as to not get the logs scanned.

Unless the seller already has a couple buyers lined up- in which case he might not want it waste his time.

4 hours ago, M016576 said:

Unless the seller already has a couple buyers lined up- in which case he might not want it waste his time.

^^^ This ^^^

I was shown a page with 25 other email addresses and a couple phone numbers on it (I was #21 overall).  My timing just happened to be very good for being able to look at it first.  I was told there are others working on travel arrangements now that the seller can show the airplane personally.

If I get the FAA CD and everything looks legit, I might reach out to the seller again and try to work a deal.  If so, I'll probably see if I can arrange for the logbooks to be digitized by someone other than the seller (up to and including paying for about an hour of the A&P's time).  That said, there are plenty of other options out there (now and in the future) and I'm not sure I really want to mess with this seller again...

• Like 2

20 hours ago, M016576 said:

Well, yeah; I guess I didn't realize selling a plane was so easy:D

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Funny story: I got an email from the seller last night that includes some logbook pictures (not a lot of pages, one page is so out of focus I can't read it, and some of the image files were 0 length).  Makes me wonder if those other potential buyers aren't working out.

Kudos where they are deserved: Assuming the missing images are other pages from the logbooks (which I don't doubt), the seller did send me precisely what I asked for (since he wouldn't digitize and send me everything)...

I'm still waiting for the FAA CD before I go further with it (if my wife & I choose to; she's acting like the back seat will be an issue, so... Mission Creep?).

Edited by afward

I dunno, were I selling an airplane I'd do whatever the seller wanted.  When i want something sold I want it gone.  That said, a buddy was selling his Echo, a  really nice clean one at that.  He wasn't asking much, so he had a long list f possibles. First guy came out asking for this and that, buddy wound up shining him on and going down the list.  Second guy to come was an A&P.  Spent a couple days going over the aircraft, said it was the cleanest one he'd ever seen and bought it on the spot.  First seller really missed out with his nonsense.

Edited by steingar

2 hours ago, afward said:

I assume one of those is supposed to be buy? ;)

Oops.  Brain fart on my part.  Yes, I'd do whatever the buyer wanted within reason.  I recall assisting a fellow buying an aircraft at my home airport.  I went to look it over for him and take some more photos.  The seller said he had photos.  I wanted to strangle the idiot.  If the buyer is asking for more you haven't taken enough!  In this day and age it is SUCH a simple thing.  Whip out your phone, take every damn inch of the aircraft and hit the damn send button.  And I can't blame anyone putting down that sized wad of ca$h for wanting whatever they want.  Its a lot of money.

The only hesitation I have about the logs is not everyone has the equipment to scan them.  That said, if I hadn't access to it again I'd take out my damn phone and photograph all of them.  Hit the send button.  The buyer might bitch about the quality, and I might say sorry, best I got.  Then again, I would probably pay the $10 to have the things scanned at an office supply store.  The only thing that would prevent me from doing that is the very reasonable fear of misplacement, loss or damage.

One thing for certain.  Were I ever to sell my aircraft, I'd have copies of every scrap of paper I could find pertaining to the thing.  Like I said, when I want something sold I want it gone.  

• Like 1

You don't even need a scanner.  There's an app for that now - several actually.  I haven't tried it on log books specifically, but I have done a lot of "scanning" with TurboScan.  $6 for the app and you just take photos and it does all the straightening and cleaning up and then you can email a pdf right out of the app.

• Like 2