Door won't open...

Ok, here's a strange one. I went out to the airport this evening to retrieve a power chord from my plane and I can't get in. I unlock it and pull the handle and the lower latch seems to release just fine, but the upper latch won't release. I tried pulling on the handle and tapping around where I believe the upper latch is located and it won't release. There are some stress points around the top left side where it looks like it may have happened to a previous owner but nothing works for me. Any ideas? 1985 M20J SE.

Sounds like a new challenge...

It would be really memorable if you were inside trying to get out...

Expect all the rods to be attached and operating properly.

Sounds like one of them has gotten loose and out of adjustment.

Got a MM?  There isn’t a lot of space to work on the system... and it is all hiding behind the plastic panel.

This comes from M20C experience, so it may have changed... there are a few variations on how the clasp/claw work... if that is what you have...

PP thoughts only, not a mechanic...

Best regards,

-a-

10 hours ago, WaynePierce said:

Ok, here's a strange one. I went out to the airport this evening to retrieve a power chord from my plane and I can't get in. I unlock it and pull the handle and the lower latch seems to release just fine, but the upper latch won't release. I tried pulling on the handle and tapping around where I believe the upper latch is located and it won't release. There are some stress points around the top left side where it looks like it may have happened to a previous owner but nothing works for me. Any ideas? 1985 M20J SE.

The lower latch is connected to the upper claws. It sounds to me the latch mechanism may have separated. I’m not sure the lower latch ir releasing either. You’ll need to go from inside and remove the interior plastic enough to release upper claws manually. The plastic is in two pieces, upper piece around the window and lower piece. There are three or four screws along the bottom of window and some around the perimeter of the window holding upper plastic in. If the lower latch is not releasing then lower plastic has to be removed. 

If this is the case another approach may be to remove the armrest and that ornamental leather or vinyl piece covering the plastic above the armrest. Then cut the plastic under it careful to stay an inch or two within the border of the leather/vinyl piece. This should expose the latch mechanism and hopefully give you enough access to release it. Good luck!

A lot of good information in this thread, thank you all. I looked at the diagram of the door in the Owners Manual, what a terrible copy that was... copy of a copy of a copy from back in the mid 80's.

I went to the airport yesterday and applied some of the above suggestions and no joy. Then I moved to in front of the wing to open the handle and try to push some of the rubber seal that normally stick out of the door when closed on this plane and the door opened. I don't think I had moved the seal so that wasn't it. I got back in the plane and worked the interior door handle and observed the clam shells and they both moved an adequate amount for my untrained eye to think it should work. The pin at the bottom of the door was activating as well so I shut the door (I had opened the storage compartment and left that door open... just in case) latched the door, said a little prayer, then pulled the handle. The door opened just fine. I got out of the plane and the door still worked.

Strange series of events but it seems everything is now back to normal.

Thank you all for your guidance and suggestions.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, RLCarter said:

You mention the seal pushing out..... Is the seal getting hung up in one of the latching mechanisms? With summer coming on I would hate to be stuck inside

The seal is on the very bottom of the door, near the center, there is a strip about 8 inches long that pushes outside the door by about a half inch. No latching mechanisms in this area. This door only has a pin near the bottom of the door on the side and the clam shell clamp at the center top.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, WaynePierce said:

The seal is on the very bottom of the door, near the center, there is a strip about 8 inches long that pushes outside the door by about a half inch. No latching mechanisms in this area. This door only has a pin near the bottom of the door on the side and the clam shell clamp at the center top.

It's always good to know the "Why". Some where on MS is a mod to attach a cable to unlatch the baggage door from inside the cabin, sure beats having to call someone to let you out or worse kicking the door open which would be spendy to repair

• Like 3

+1 on knowing the status of the exiting mechanism of your baggage compartment...

Some planes did not get modified...

Locked or unlocked, there is a proper way to get the baggage door open...

There is a kit for updating old systems...

Best regards,

-a-