Sometimes “Painful” is Rewarding too

13 hours ago, Bob - S50 said:

No IFR requirement for Angel Flight West.  I carry a small two step ladder in the baggage compartment that makes it much easier for my wife (and others) to get up on the wing.  Getting in and out of the back seat is not that difficult, especially if you are there to help them.

After my first AFW experience, I went and got one of these

https://www.amazon.com/Folding-Step-Stool-Lightweight-Bathroom/dp/B014WOXB6O/ref=sr_1_46?keywords=portable+step&qid=1559757937&s=gateway&sr=8-46

We'll see how well it goes the next time

• Like 1

I've always had good luck getting the line guys to help with the passenger exiting the plane. Most times I'm at Signature, Atlantic, or similar. When the line guy parks me, they always come to the window or door to ask if we need anything like fuel, services, etc. I'll ask for help with my passenger. It's always been easy to do. 

1 hour ago, gsxrpilot said:

I've always had good luck getting the line guys to help with the passenger exiting the plane. Most times I'm at Signature, Atlantic, or similar. When the line guy parks me, they always come to the window or door to ask if we need anything like fuel, services, etc. I'll ask for help with my passenger. It's always been easy to do. 

Hah!  My passenger was talking non-stop and was out the door and on the ground before I could get any help.  She was one of those high-energy people...

• Like 1

3 hours ago, steingar said:

Depends on where in Washington.  The rain shadow of the Sierras is one of the driest places in the US.

That's why I said Western Washington/Oregon.  There is a bit of a rain shadow caused by the Olympics but it moves around with the wind direction.

2 hours ago, jaylw314 said:

After my first AFW experience, I went and got one of these

https://www.amazon.com/Folding-Step-Stool-Lightweight-Bathroom/dp/B014WOXB6O/ref=sr_1_46?keywords=portable+step&qid=1559757937&s=gateway&sr=8-46

We'll see how well it goes the next time

We've gone through 2 of those.  They make it pretty easy to get up on the wing but don't work so well getting down off the wing due to a couple issues.  First, they are not very tall so it requires the passenger to step over the flap and down about a foot and land on the relatively small area.  Second, they are not very strong.  I think they are only rated to 200 lbs, but even with someone lighter than that, if they hit the mark and land in the middle of the step it cracks.  The best way to handle a significant load is to have them step on the edge over a support, not in the middle.  That makes it even more difficult and potentially more dangerous.

I ended up buying a folding 2 step metal ladder.  It isn't idle because it's quite a bit more bulky, but it's pretty light (5 or 6 pounds), has two steps so it's easy to get on AND off the wing, and strong.  If I've got a bunch of luggage I put it on top of the luggage because I'm going to want it first anyway.

6 minutes ago, Bob - S50 said:

We've gone through 2 of those.  They make it pretty easy to get up on the wing but don't work so well getting down off the wing due to a couple issues.  First, they are not very tall so it requires the passenger to step over the flap and down about a foot and land on the relatively small area.  Second, they are not very strong.  I think they are only rated to 200 lbs, but even with someone lighter than that, if they hit the mark and land in the middle of the step it cracks.  The best way to handle a significant load is to have them step on the edge over a support, not in the middle.  That makes it even more difficult and potentially more dangerous.

I ended up buying a folding 2 step metal ladder.  It isn't idle because it's quite a bit more bulky, but it's pretty light (5 or 6 pounds), has two steps so it's easy to get on AND off the wing, and strong.  If I've got a bunch of luggage I put it on top of the luggage because I'm going to want it first anyway.

Good point.  I was thinking of trying to find something where someone can stand behind the person and someone else on the wing helping them up, which was why didn't want to bring the 2-step ladder (aside from its size).  I wonder if there is a portable 2-step stair?

• 2 weeks later...

He made it 12 days after I flew him down.

RIP Jack!!

Tom

Published in Lexington Herald-Leader on June 19, 2019

Jack Wayne Frost
  • February 25, 1959 - June 15, 2019
  • Quinnesec, Michigan

Jack was born on February 25, 1959 and passed away on Saturday, June 15, 2019.

Jack was a resident of Quinnesec, Michigan at the time of passing.

He was also a U.S. Army veteran.

Funeral Services will be conducted at 12 Noon Wednesday, June 19, 2019 at Red House Baptist Church, 2301 Red House Rd, Richmond with Dr. Deron Cobb and Dr. Tim Patterson officiating. Burial will be at 2:30 PM Wednesday at Camp Nelson National Cemetery in Jessamine County with full military rites. Visitation will be after 10:00 AM Wednesday at the church

• Like 7

7 hours ago, Yooper Rocketman said:

He made it 12 days after I flew him down.

RIP Jack!!

Tom

Published in Lexington Herald-Leader on June 19, 2019

Jack Wayne Frost
  • February 25, 1959 - June 15, 2019
  • Quinnesec, Michigan

Jack was born on February 25, 1959 and passed away on Saturday, June 15, 2019.

Jack was a resident of Quinnesec, Michigan at the time of passing.

He was also a U.S. Army veteran.

Funeral Services will be conducted at 12 Noon Wednesday, June 19, 2019 at Red House Baptist Church, 2301 Red House Rd, Richmond with Dr. Deron Cobb and Dr. Tim Patterson officiating. Burial will be at 2:30 PM Wednesday at Camp Nelson National Cemetery in Jessamine County with full military rites. Visitation will be after 10:00 AM Wednesday at the church

Sorry Tom.  Even these short acquaintances can make a big impression.  As I recall, you mentioned he had a small child, which makes it even sadder.  Glad you and the plane were able to make a difference.

11 hours ago, takair said:

Sorry Tom.  Even these short acquaintances can make a big impression.  As I recall, you mentioned he had a small child, which makes it even sadder.  Glad you and the plane were able to make a difference.

Yes,  He left a 3 year old son behind.

Tom