Sometimes “Painful” is Rewarding too

So, as flight coordinator for our mercy flight organization based in the U.P. of Michigan, I field all flight request calls and dispatch the pilots for those flights.  I’ve done this job on and off many times over the last 25 years, taking it back most recently April 1, 2018 after a 13 year break from another Mooney pilot that got burnt out.  The negative with me dispatching, I hate telling patients we can’t find a pilot.  I performed 30+ flights last year, and looking to be the highest flight count pilot this year as well.  

I got a call from an under 60 year old vet, back in March, with cancer.  He was considering going to the U of M in Ann Arbor, but decided to continue treatment through the VA.   Just over a week ago he was given 2-4 weeks to live (and I’m not sure ANY medical facility could have done him any better) and wanted to know if we would transport him back to his “home town” in KY where he had most of his family to support him in hospice. Although that’s out of our normal range, I said we would do it.  

We were scheduled to fly out Sunday but he was admitted for issues that morning.  I had serious concerns he said was “transportable” when they called this morning he would be discharged and “ready to go”.  I said I needed a doctors approval he could fly and got a call from the physician ( I was clearly impressed).   So, he wanted to fly in my Lancair prop jet, but I would take him in our Bonanza (rear door boarding) if he couldn’t board the Lancair.  We were looking at under one hour and forty minutes in the Lancair, a solid hour longer in the Bo.  My return would be and hour and a half longer too  

His wife, an RN, was as my minimum requirement to do the flight, so she and their 3 year old son came along and she monitored and managed his health during the flight.  He WAS ABLE to board the Lancair, so that’s what we took. We had some anxious moments during the first third of the flight, but everything relaxed after that and I covered a 12-14 hour drive (not doable for him) in one hour 39 minutes.  

I know I’ll never see him alive again, but the smile on his face when his family greeted him, just south of Lexington KY this afternoon when we landed, was priceless. 

THANKS FOR YOUR SERVICE JACK!!!!

Tom

Sorry, no pictures.  Here’s a link to the flight.

https://flightaware.com/live/flight/N994PT/history/20190603/1600Z/KIMT/KRGA

• Like 25
  • Thanks 8
  • Sad 1

Thank you for your service as well. I am scheduled to fly my 5th AngelFlight this year this Thursday but weather is not looking promising for the flight down to MD Anderson in Houston.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, RogueOne said:

You sir are an angel and a class act.

Why thank you sir.  Honestly though, I’m not posting for credit, but to show how helping others less fortunate can be rewarding in spite of the pain AND hoping to motivate others to do the same.  

I flew a 46 year old gal this last week I wanted to adopt last year, after 3-4 trips over to the Mayo Clinic last fall, on her final Med flight. Mayo confirmed she should be in hospice as well, with under a month to live.   That’s my last two flights ......... flying pretty special people home for short term hospice.   Although it really sucks (and actually “hurts”), I try not to lose prospective that THEIR  LIVES STILL COUNT, even if they’ve been deemed terminal. 

Tom

• Like 3

2 hours ago, steingar said:

I've toyed with the idea of Angel Flights after I do the IR, but I worry about how difficult it is to board the Mooney.

I try to do about 10 flights a year. Or as many as I can do. I'm in the process of switching over from Angel Flight South to Angel Flight West. Evidently there was no "transfer" option and I'm having to start out as a newbie pilot again and go through all the training, documentation, orientation, again.

A list of missions is posted every week and there is quite a bit of information about the patient and others who need transportation. I'm careful to pick and chose those where the weight is easily within range and have actually never taken a back seater with the patient. I've always just taken one person. There are so many requests that it's easy to pick and choose those that will work in the Mooney.

I'd encourage you to sign up, even without the IR, and try it out. Be as choosy as you like. But it's a very rewarding experience.

• Like 3

13 hours ago, Yooper Rocketman said:

AND hoping to motivate others to do the same.  

Mission accomplished!  I can't wait to get my instrument rating finished and start flying Angel Flights.  I love giving Young Eagles rides, perhaps the only flights I've enjoyed more were giving old pilots another flight.

57 minutes ago, gsxrpilot said:

I'd encourage you to sign up, even without the IR, and try it out.

I've noticed that some Angel Flight groups don't require an instrument rating, but Angel Flight Central told me it's part of their insurance requirements when I inquired last year.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, steingar said:

I wish I was surprised at the amazing things you do Tom.  I've toyed with the idea of Angel Flights after I do the IR, but I worry about how difficult it is to board the Mooney.

Boarding the Mooney can be a bit challenging, for sure.  There has to be at least a modicum of arm and leg strength.  It's easier to get them into the plane, where you can be there to stabilize them. Getting them out of the plane is more of a challenge, as it requires some strength to lift oneself out of the seat.  If there is a line-person or some other helper present, that is best. However, I've also learned how to instruct passengers to just swing their legs out of the door and scoot along the front edge of the wing and just slide off there.  It worked well for my 6'3" father when he could no longer get out of the seat, and it just worked last week for a burn patient who could not exert much strain on her legs or torso.

• Like 4

I have voiced my opinion at MD Anderson at why they can't expand to be more than Houston.   We are lucky that we live in Houston and have access to great medical care.   If we did not I would be doing personal Mercy flights for my wife.  

Back when I worked for MD Anderson in the 1990s they were working on telemedicine.  There is no reason video conference and a trained Nurse Practitioner at satellite locations could not cut half of the mercy flights.

The most interesting one was a mom in Bay City was looking for a way to cut the 2 hour drive commute.   The mom was having to drive back and forth to.   A plane would not have improved the situation and probably made it worse since that is where the thunderstorms start.   Best I could do would have her stop at SugarLand to get her tests instead of coming all the way to the med center.  MD Anderson is bad about not being Texas Medical Center Specific.   about half the time I have to call and correct my wife's appointments to use their other facilities.

Kuddos to y'all that move the people around to get the care they need.

If I win the lottery, I am going to build a Hampton Inn type motel next to MD Anderson West facility and have a Pilatus to ferry people to West Houston Airport.

• Like 1

No IFR requirement for Angel Flight West.  I carry a small two step ladder in the baggage compartment that makes it much easier for my wife (and others) to get up on the wing.  Getting in and out of the back seat is not that difficult, especially if you are there to help them.

There is for every one I've seen in the East.  We have this little thing called weather.

That may be, and we do have weather out west too, but the fact remains that an IFR rating is not required for Angel Flight West.  While the Angle Flight organizations are all similar, they are all just a little bit different.  The only way to know is to check with the one that services your area.  Part of the difference may be that AFW does not carry insurance on us.  One of the requirements is to meet certain minimum insurance coverage.

48 minutes ago, Bob - S50 said:

That may be, and we do have weather out west too, but the fact remains that an IFR rating is not required for Angel Flight West.  While the Angle Flight organizations are all similar, they are all just a little bit different.  The only way to know is to check with the one that services your area.  Part of the difference may be that AFW does not carry insurance on us.  One of the requirements is to meet certain minimum insurance coverage.

The Western US is far drier than the East.  Visibilities are far, far greater.  I can see why an IFR rating might be dispensable out there.  Not so much in the East.  I've already checked, and if I wan too do this where I live I need the IR, which I will be commencing soon.

• Like 3

The Western US is far drier than the East.  Visibilities are far, far greater.  I can see why an IFR rating might be dispensable out there.  Not so much in the East.  I've already checked, and if I wan too do this where I live I need the IR, which I will be commencing soon.

Unless of course you live in western Washington or Oregon. ;)

We do have fewer thunderstorms but get our fair share of stratus.

8 minutes ago, Bob - S50 said:

Unless of course you live in western Washington or Oregon. ;)

We do have fewer thunderstorms but get our fair share of stratus.

Depends on where in Washington.  The rain shadow of the Sierras is one of the driest places in the US.

• Like 1

Here in Denver, my experience of a whole week now, is that we get a big violent thunderstorm with hail, tornadoes, warnings on the radio, etc. This happens every afternoon between 1pm and 4pm. Before and after that time window, it's clear blue skies and very comfortable mid 70's temps. 

The storm also only happens on the east side of the city. We're on the west side of the city and therefore just get to watch the event every afternoon from the rooftop deck. While everyone on the east side of the city are in their storm cellars.

• Like 2

The coastal areas always struggle with low clouds from the Pacific marine layer, and a lot of the major medical centers are on the coast.  Angel Flight West seems to do a lot between Seattle, Stanford and UCLA.

Funny you mention no thunderstorms, @Bob - S50, I just flew down to LA and back and had to dodge more than one lines of thunderstorms, I've never had to do that before out here.  The stormscope finally got good use.   My hands were shaking for a while afterwards...

Tom your awesome, steingar I like Paul pay strict attention to the size,weight of the patient and passenger, I won’t take two passengers. If possible I contact the patient and determine if they are physically able to mount a Mooney. Having a long body I haven’t had many issues in entering but have often had difficulty getting them out. Good luck you guys are wonderful 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1