Emergency Gear Crank Cable 560247-501.

Gents,

In annual right now and my cable failed on our test. The end that splined and goes into the gearbox cracked and came off the cable. 

I am now in desperate need of one of these cables for an electric gear mooney PN 560247-501 either new or used in good condition. I am in AZ so if anybody has one here that would be stellar or knows of any wrecked airplanes that had electric gear that I might be able to get a serviceable one from. I have seen posts with airplanes that are sitting in yards that have been wrecked in AZ just do not know who to contact.

Cheers!

There is a yard in Greely Colorado that was parting out an F several years ago.    It is called a spline gear.   As you can see there is roll pin that holds it together.   Spline gears are used in clocks.  It should be an industrial part, I never could find one.

20161202_093248.thumb.jpg.f68139361a8f1f954c688ab15d4a2213.jpg

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Yetti said:

There is a yard in Greely Colorado that was parting out an F several years ago.    It is called a spline gear.   As you can see there is roll pin that holds it together.   Spline gears are used in clocks.  It should be an industrial part, I never could find one.

20161202_093248.thumb.jpg.f68139361a8f1f954c688ab15d4a2213.jpg

Yup that’s exactly what I was trying to describe except the spline gear swage was cracked and the spline separated from the cable. 

• Like 1

On 6/6/2019 at 2:33 PM, SheryLoewen said:

LMS--Loewens Mooney Salvage  may have one in a 1969 M20G $190 + mailing---  let me know. 

Paul

Oh man! I had already ordered one from another salvage and got it delivered and installed on Thursday. This is a great price!

Gents,

I called Mcfarlen to ask to have one made and Kelli the custom work manager said she had to check and then emailed back that they no longer can because they dont have the parts and they are very expensive to make the parts. Just to pass the word along.

Make sure to apply some sort of grease to the spines when you install it.  Splines are subject to tribo corrosion when not properly lubricated. It will cause the splines to degrade and can eventually disappear completely.  We use that type of joint for joining motors to gearboxes in robots.  I can tell you some horror stories when someone forgot to lubricate them during installation of the  motor.  We used Klueber Lube's Microlube GL 261 on the robots, but I don't know if that would be appropriate for your gear cable.  Don't install it dry!!

• Like 1

Found some example pics of what can happen when a spline is either not lubricated or when it wears away and isn't replaced. The last picture shows where the splines were completely worn away and the first picture shows the degraded splines on the input shaft for the gear box and this is after we used compressed air to blow the rust dust out so you could actually see something.  The last picture shows the splines completely worn away.  When you felt it, it felt almost smooth. This motor was on axis 3 of a robot holding a fairly large part.  The associate who was working on it reported that the position was off and was trying to drive the robot when it made an unusual jerking motion and then fell.  Luckily he was not standing under the robot/part when this happened so no one was hurt.  Luckier still, neither the gripper nor the part hit anything on the way down so the robot is the only thing that needed repair.

thumbnail_20180214_152418.jpg

thumbnail_20180214_152615.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

As you can see from this thread, it is time to take very good and careful care of your Emergency Gear Crank Cable.  At this time, there are no known manufactures for replacement cables.

Ours broke yesterday when the gear actuator assembly was being reinstalled.  The nut broke when it was tightened. Not sure if this was from over tightening or just age.  I have seen many images of poorly maintained cables that have not been lubed and cleaned properly.   On your next annual I would recommend spending some time with the cable to make sure it has been cleaned, lubed and inspected carefully.  All 20C to 20G with electric gear have one of these cables. 

• Like 1

As do the 77 J models like mine! I've replaced my spline drive once already. I'm keeping a later model actuator and lawnmower cable emergency extension in reserve in case I need to replace mine in the future if/when I can't get a part.

Sent from my LG-US996 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I hope I can be forgiven for what I think is a funny story.  On my aircraft the crank to retract the step is right where the emergency gear crank is in later models.  While doing a PPI on the aircraft I started retracting the step to see if the crank worked.  The mechanic doing the inspection was mortified, he thought I was about to retract the gear!

• Like 1

• 2 years later...

Looking for replacement of the emergency gear crank cable 560247-501.  1970 Mooney M20C

I can't find anywhere. Does anybody make them? I can't get my aircraft out of annual without a replacement. I'm desperate. 

• 10 months later...

I am looking for the emergency gear crank cable part # 560247-50 for an early M20J model. My cable is excellent, just need the outer housing since one of the nuts broke, or got broke by overtightening. My maintenance shop said they could just remove the roll pin at the end of the cable and can insert my cable into a replacement housing. It is my understanding that the cable end is what often goes bad, but my cable end is good, just need the housing. If you have a bad cable with a good housing, I can use it.

Other ideas are welcome. I am doing a search also doing a search for flexible drive cable repair or manufacturers. Nothing yet. 

Frank

end of emergency gear crank cable.jpg

entire cable.jpg