Time for a new transponder

Davidv

44 minutes ago, Captain Bash said:

Great info, thanks Dan! 

To clairfy, I have a KT76A.

i suspected more wiring was needed to connect to the GPS.

Any info you have regarding the Trig TT31? Does it have the same capabilities I.e. showing traffic on my 430W? It is on sale right now for $2,000 after a $500 rebate. There is also an authorized “Quick install” dealer just over the mountains in French Valley that is said to be able to install in 5-8 hours.

As for portables, my Rocket came with the GDL 39 and Aera 796 all mounted in permanent in the aircraft. It’s nice being able to have my Garmin Pilot iPad and Aera 796 all hooked up for ads-b in capabilities. The Aera is also linked to my 430W via the RS-232 connection so they talked to each other. With traffic on my 430W, I’ll have plenty of collision avoidance available for flying in busy SoCal.

AFAIK, the Trig TT31 is the identical internally and in features as the KT74.  The advantage of the KT74 is that you have numeric buttons instead of a dial entry.  The disadvantage of the KT74 is that it is not approved for ADS-B in combination with Avidyne GPS units.

12 hours ago, Captain Bash said:

Great info, thanks Dan! 

To clairfy, I have a KT76A.

i suspected more wiring was needed to connect to the GPS.

Any info you have regarding the Trig TT31? Does it have the same capabilities I.e. showing traffic on my 430W? It is on sale right now for $2,000 after a $500 rebate. There is also an authorized “Quick install” dealer just over the mountains in French Valley that is said to be able to install in 5-8 hours.

As for portables, my Rocket came with the GDL 39 and Aera 796 all mounted in permanent in the aircraft. It’s nice being able to have my Garmin Pilot iPad and Aera 796 all hooked up for ads-b in capabilities. The Aera is also linked to my 430W via the RS-232 connection so they talked to each other. With traffic on my 430W, I’ll have plenty of collision avoidance available for flying in busy SoCal.

I may be getting out of my element, but as others have said, the Trig and the KT-74 are supposed to be the same unit underneath.  Therefore you should be equally satisfied.  Traffic on the 530 uses an ARINC connector.  If you do not have one to spare, the Mode-S traffic on the 530 would bump something else.  I personally would give up that Mode-S traffic from the KT-74 for most things.  YMMV.  Ask in advance, and tell him what your priority is in case of connector shortage.  

The installation was a "while I wait" item within the day (at High Desert Avionics at WJF), so 5-8 hours sounds right.  

13 hours ago, jaylw314 said:

AFAIK, the Trig TT31 is the identical internally and in features as the KT74.  The advantage of the KT74 is that you have numeric buttons instead of a dial entry.  The disadvantage of the KT74 is that it is not approved for ADS-B in combination with Avidyne GPS units.

But the two work together just fine...but unfortunately,not a certified pair because neither manufacturers have added them to their stc