GNS430 Installation

Hello Guys

I fly my 1968 M20c with a basic IFR panel (2VORS, DME) ,I got a good deal on Garmin GNS430 (non-WAAS) and I was looking for someone to install it in my airplane, I'm looking for your recommendation for shops/mechanics who did that on similar airplanes and you had a good experience with them on time, budget and honesty.

I keep flying around , so location isn't a big deal.

Thank you very much for your kind help.

IMG_20190227_170811_026 (1).jpg

SkyVista Aviation in Marysville, Ohio (KMRT) did mine (1965 MN20C).  Superb work, reasonable price.  937-644-2055.   Ask for David Holden.  (They also did my EDM-900 and G5 installs.)   BTW as you can see from the photo I chose a GPS-400W, which is the same thing without the nav/coms, since I already had two KX-155's.  

A big question was whether the Garmin unit would fit in the avionics stack since the center windshield post forks into an upside-down "Y" just above the avonics stack.  I did a lot of measuring and crossed my fingers, but the thing fit with about an inch to spare.  I'm attaching a photo of that too FYI.

Totally agree with Steingar by the way -- absolutely get the WAAS update.  The GNS-430 is Garmin CAN-bus compatible, so it integrates with any other Garmin units - in my case the G5's (the GPS-400 transformed my right-hand G5 from a heading indicator into an HSI and you also use it to fly LPV approaches) and the GTX-345 (the GPS-400 receives the GPS/ADS-B signals and sends them to the 345, which then relays them to my iPads so I get traffic readouts on the iPads, with a single external GPS antenna). 

Panel layout with GPS-400W.jpg

IMG_7414.JPG

• Thanks 1

If you’re on the west coast, I recommend High Desert Avionics at WJF. I’ve gone to them for panel upgrades on multiple airplanes and they’ve been great. Going to them later this year for a GTX-335 install.

My GNS-430W fit nicely in the stack, with only a GMA-340 above it, just missing the “Y” frame that Bob mentions. 

+1 for just getting the WAAS upgrade over with. Ability to shoot LPV is only becoming more valuable every year and may also help with your ADS-B solution, depending on your plan with that. 

• Like 1

I am not sure the non-WAAS can be installed legally in an M20C. The WAAS version is OK though.

Check first with an avionics shop. I did discuss this many years ago and that is what my memory tells me.

Yves

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Bob E said:

They also did my EDM-900 and G5 installs

I like the configuration they did a very nice job.  What are your thoughts on the comm panel vs the G5?  I’m looking to upgrade and can only do one. (Checkbook vs dreambook)

I hear ya regarding checkbook v. dreambook.  I've owned 5936Q for 33 years, and for 32 of them I flew around with the original gauges -- never quite sure how much fuel I had, a CHT that worked only every fourth time, etc.!  I didn't mind; it was still a Mooney!  The attached photos show what the panel looked like in 1986 when I bought it, and what it looked like in 2006 (and looked like for years before the upgrade).

If it's comm panel versus G5, get the G5!   If you only get one G5, use it as a PFD -- it replaces the attitude indicator with a solid-state display that has 30 minutes of backup power even if you lose your electrical system.  If you don't have an intercom:  For years I had a comm panel that kinda sorta worked, and supplemented it with a simple Sigtronics intercom.

Aside from the G5, the other thing I would upgrade is the landing light:  find the cheapest Whelen LED landing light replacement you can, and install it.  You can leave your landing light on all the time after that with almost no noticeable drain of amps, and it will last forever.  You can also upgrade to LED position lights for about $20 a bulb if you can find the right deal.

In December 2016 I flew down to Gulf Coast Avionics in Lakeland, Florida and had them upgrade to the GTX-345 and comm panel. They did a nice job.  Matt Schloss is their sales rep and John Theobald is the avionics manager.  Good guys. The 2018-2019 upgrades that resulted in the panel in the photo a couple of posts above were expensive (once-in-a-lifetime financial thing), but SkyVista's prices were very competitive and the A&P, Dave Holden, is also an AI and an airline pilot and a Mooney owner!  Everyone at his shop there in Marysville is a pleasure to work with.  Doesn't get any better than that.

Panel, Nov 9, 1986 when I bought it.jpg

2006 - panel prior to upgrade.JPG

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Bob E said:

SkyVista Aviation in Marysville, Ohio (KMRT) did mine (1965 MN20C).  Superb work, reasonable price.  937-644-2055.   Ask for David Holden.  (They also did my EDM-900 and G5 installs.)   BTW as you can see from the photo I chose a GPS-400W, which is the same thing without the nav/coms, since I already had two KX-155's.  

A big question was whether the Garmin unit would fit in the avionics stack since the center windshield post forks into an upside-down "Y" just above the avonics stack.  I did a lot of measuring and crossed my fingers, but the thing fit with about an inch to spare.  I'm attaching a photo of that too FYI.

Totally agree with Steingar by the way -- absolutely get the WAAS update.  The GNS-430 is Garmin CAN-bus compatible, so it integrates with any other Garmin units - in my case the G5's (the GPS-400 transformed my right-hand G5 from a heading indicator into an HSI and you also use it to fly LPV approaches) and the GTX-345 (the GPS-400 receives the GPS/ADS-B signals and sends them to the 345, which then relays them to my iPads so I get traffic readouts on the iPads, with a single external GPS antenna). 

Panel layout with GPS-400W.jpg

IMG_7414.JPG

Thank you for the valuable information and contact information, I'll call them today and see, your panel looks exactly what i'm looking to see on my panel.

20 hours ago, 3914N said:

If you’re on the west coast, I recommend High Desert Avionics at WJF. I’ve gone to them for panel upgrades on multiple airplanes and they’ve been great. Going to them later this year for a GTX-335 install.

My GNS-430W fit nicely in the stack, with only a GMA-340 above it, just missing the “Y” frame that Bob mentions. 

+1 for just getting the WAAS upgrade over with. Ability to shoot LPV is only becoming more valuable every year and may also help with your ADS-B solution, depending on your plan with that. 

I called them , they didn't send any quotes however, I'll call them again.

16 hours ago, yvesg said:

I am not sure the non-WAAS can be installed legally in an M20C. The WAAS version is OK though.

Check first with an avionics shop. I did discuss this many years ago and that is what my memory tells me.

Yves

I'm going to get the WAAS upgrade, thank you very much

15 hours ago, Bob E said:

I hear ya regarding checkbook v. dreambook.  I've owned 5936Q for 33 years, and for 32 of them I flew around with the original gauges -- never quite sure how much fuel I had, a CHT that worked only every fourth time, etc.!  I didn't mind; it was still a Mooney!  The attached photos show what the panel looked like in 1986 when I bought it, and what it looked like in 2006 (and looked like for years before the upgrade).

If it's comm panel versus G5, get the G5!   If you only get one G5, use it as a PFD -- it replaces the attitude indicator with a solid-state display that has 30 minutes of backup power even if you lose your electrical system.  If you don't have an intercom:  For years I had a comm panel that kinda sorta worked, and supplemented it with a simple Sigtronics intercom.

Aside from the G5, the other thing I would upgrade is the landing light:  find the cheapest Whelen LED landing light replacement you can, and install it.  You can leave your landing light on all the time after that with almost no noticeable drain of amps, and it will last forever.  You can also upgrade to LED position lights for about $20 a bulb if you can find the right deal.

In December 2016 I flew down to Gulf Coast Avionics in Lakeland, Florida and had them upgrade to the GTX-345 and comm panel. They did a nice job.  Matt Schloss is their sales rep and John Theobald is the avionics manager.  Good guys. The 2018-2019 upgrades that resulted in the panel in the photo a couple of posts above were expensive (once-in-a-lifetime financial thing), but SkyVista's prices were very competitive and the A&P, Dave Holden, is also an AI and an airline pilot and a Mooney owner!  Everyone at his shop there in Marysville is a pleasure to work with.  Doesn't get any better than that.

Panel, Nov 9, 1986 when I bought it.jpg

2006 - panel prior to upgrade.JPG

Thank you very much for sharing your experience, i really enjoyed reading your reply and it made me think again of what i actually need.