Source for new camlocks without back?

I would like to replace all the old looking c-locks on my cowl once we are done with paint... I found kits here

https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/appages/sb-mooney-cwl-kit.php

However I do not want to replace the fixed parts, just the part that turns.  Is there any place to get just those?

Edited by Austintatious

There may be a special pair of pliers to go with that as well...

As a CB I tried to skip the extra tool... later went and bought it anyways...

Probably paid extra going to aircraft spruce.  But they had it all... tools and parts.

Changing out the spring loaded part is pretty easy.

PP thoughts only...

Best regards,

-a-

• 2 months later...

Hey guys I still need help with this.

I don't know why this is turning out to be so difficult.  I looked at the skybolt.com  site and it has too little information to have any Idea what I would actually be ordering.  I spoke with them and they were absolutely no help.  They also charged me a restocking fee after sending me the wrong stuff.  They have no idea what hardware actually goes on a Rocket.  I'm looking at their page which has a picture that looks similar to what is below, but After my first experience ordering with them I have 0 confidence I will get the right part and will just end up paying more restocking fees.

Here is a picture of what I am trying to buy.  I do not want the backers.... I do not want the retaining rings that keep these attached as these have to come all the way off to remove the cowl easily.

I am not sure how these are typically measured, but if I measure the length of the stud (from head to the very end of stud) they are as follows:

The short one is .700

the long is .766

I would really appreciate any help!

Cam locks.jpg

28 minutes ago, Austintatious said:

I don't know why this is turning out to be so difficult.  I looked at the skybolt.com  site and it has too little information to have any Idea what I would actually be ordering.  I spoke with them and they were absolutely no help.  They also charged me a restocking fee after sending me the wrong stuff.  They have no idea what hardware actually goes on a Rocket.  I'm looking at their page which has a picture that looks similar to what is below, but After my first experience ordering with them I have 0 confidence I will get the right part and will just end up paying more restocking fees.

Here is a picture of what I am trying to buy.  I do not want the backers.... I do not want the retaining rings that keep these attached as these have to come all the way off to remove the cowl easily.

I am not sure how these are typically measured, but if I measure the length of the stud (from head to the very end of stud) they are as follows:

The short one is .700

the long is .766

Cam locks.jpg

I can run by my hangar tomorrow. I believe I have some I can measure.  Depending on the wear around your existing camlocks, you may need to order slightly longer since the larger flange keeps them from sinking in as far. 

Also, your camlocks should have a number stamped on the end where the screwdriver engages it. 

I have all Skybolt camlocks.  There is a 2000 series which replace the smaller factory camlocks which lock the top to the bottom cowling.  The 2000 series has a version with a larger flange that will not wear through the hole in the cowling.  These are the only ones I know of that should be used in this locate of this reason.

There is a 4000 series that you would need to replace the receptacle (female half) in order to use them but they are adjustable and work well.  It may be worth the work.

Skybolt has been a great company every time I have bought from them.  I am surprised to hear otherwise.

John Breda

9 hours ago, Austintatious said:

The short one is .700

the long is .766

Cam locks.jpg

Typical Camloc fasteners on Mooney cowls are 4000 series at the firewall flange and 2700 series at the top and bottom joint. Both are flat head/ flush.  If you carefully strip the paint off and look carefully you will see a number embossed on the fastener beside the slot or Phillips drive.  This is the stud length you need.

The correct length should result in it sitting flush with the grommet ring which is held in the cowl with a lock ring on the inside of the cowl.

The advantage of the Skybolt receptacle is that it is adjustable to make every stud fit perfectly flush.

Clarence

1 hour ago, M20Doc said:

Typical Camloc fasteners on Mooney cowls are 4000 series at the firewall flange and 2700 series at the top and bottom joint. Both are flat head/ flush.  If you carefully strip the paint off and look carefully you will see a number embossed on the fastener beside the slot or Phillips drive.  This is the stud length you need.

The correct length should result in it sitting flush with the grommet ring which is held in the cowl with a lock ring on the inside of the cowl.

The advantage of the Skybolt receptacle is that it is adjustable to make every stud fit perfectly flush.

Clarence

The Skybolt 4000 series fasteners are adjustable and made quite well.  The Skybolt 2000 series fasteners are not adjustable, but are still made well.  They are marked 

on their face next to the Phillips slot with a number defining their length.   The 2000 series fasteners fit into the Mooney factory original receptacles.

John Breda

I do not want the retaining rings that keep these attached as these have to come all the way off to remove the cowl easily.

If you use the Skybolt 2000 series, there is a nylon washer that they see that can be put over the back side of the camlock (over the T end) that will allow the camlock to be retracted easily for cowling removal but keep the fastener in their respective holes and stay on the top cowling when it is removed.  This is a big help as the length of the camlock used may be different in adjacent holes.  

You are correct, you do not want the star shaped washer that slides onto the camlock barrel and holds it in one place only.  You want the Camlock to move freely in the hole, but not fall out of the hole.

John Breda

54 minutes ago, chriscalandro said:

https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/appages/sb-mooney-cwl-kit.php

I got the slotted ones.  They are a PAIN!

I actually like the slotted ones. They are a nuisance to keep from scratching the paint, but I like to be able to look at the cowling and know that if all the slots are running the same direction, they are all latched.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, bradp said:

My stainless Philips are great.  I have some old ones still with the original paint job - just to remind me of the plane’s history.  

Question - do the skybolt fasteners fit in a standard camloc receptacle? 

Yes, the skybolt 2000 fasteners will fit in the standard camloc receptacle.  

On ‎9‎/‎2‎/‎2019 at 5:27 AM, ArtVandelay said:

I ended up getting 1 of each #4-7 skybolts, then fit tested each hole. Then ordered what I needed. Just too much variance in a 40+ year old handmade machine. I replaced some of the lower cowling camlocs as well because the sizes weren’t correct.

That's the way to do it if you have the time.  Mine ranged from #3-5, except the rear fastener which required a #7.  I just ordered a bunch of #4's, and a couple #3's and #5's.  I have a few spare ones, since they occasionally seem to pop out and get lost at the shop.

One of these days, I'll do the one-piece belly panel, but double-checking the length there seems to be a much bigger pain-in-the-butt

On ‎9‎/‎2‎/‎2019 at 5:22 AM, M20F-1968 said:

I do not want the retaining rings that keep these attached as these have to come all the way off to remove the cowl easily.

If you use the Skybolt 2000 series, there is a nylon washer that they see that can be put over the back side of the camlock (over the T end) that will allow the camlock to be retracted easily for cowling removal but keep the fastener in their respective holes and stay on the top cowling when it is removed.  This is a big help as the length of the camlock used may be different in adjacent holes.  

You are correct, you do not want the star shaped washer that slides onto the camlock barrel and holds it in one place only.  You want the Camlock to move freely in the hole, but not fall out of the hole.

John Breda

the retaining split washers to keep them attached is important so that you don't have a cup full of fasteners of various sizes that you then forget what order they go in :) But, yes, if you marked them or wrote the order down, you could simply remove them each time...

3 hours ago, jaylw314 said:

the retaining split washers to keep them attached is important so that you don't have a cup full of fasteners of various sizes that you then forget what order they go in :) But, yes, if you marked them or wrote the order down, you could simply remove them each time...

well, I must be missing something... there are only 2 sizes on my aircraft...   .700 and .760 .... If I put a long one in where a short one goes it is obvious and a short one wont work where a long one should go.  So putting them back on is pretty simple.

Ill take a closer look tomorrow and regroup before ordering anything.

3 hours ago, Austintatious said:

well, I must be missing something... there are only 2 sizes on my aircraft...   .700 and .760 .... If I put a long one in where a short one goes it is obvious and a short one wont work where a long one should go.  So putting them back on is pretty simple.

Ill take a closer look tomorrow and regroup before ordering anything.

New fasteners on an old cowling may require slightly different lengths based on the amount of wear on the cowling holes.  For the anal-retentive owner, you want them to be within 1/32" of flush, so there's a certain amount of variation from one hole to the next.  But yes, the original small camlocs on the cowling use one length for all the holes except the aft-most position