ForeFlight takeoff/landing

Damn! I might have upgrade to PerformancePlus because of this. And for the haters, complain all you like, but it's in the companies best interest to produce features attractive enough to get enough customers to upgrade to the higher subscription tiers. Until now, they haven't met that mark for me. But this might just do it.

On a related note, my flight from Austin to Denver on Saturday was my first experience with the latest Avidyne IFD540 version 10.2.3.1 and it's improved integration with ForeFlight. It was absolutely the best upgrade since I started using ForeFlight 5 years ago and the IFD540 three years ago. The way ForeFlight can now display all ADSB data pulling from the built-in wifi on the IFD540 is really a game changer for me. This includes Radar weather, Cloud tops, Icing levels, winds aloft, and traffic. All of this without any Stratus, Sentry or any other external box to feed ForeFlight. it just gets everything directly from the IFD now.

• Like 2

ForeFlight is a great app and still my favorite. However, their continued inclusion of new features in the Performance Plus category seems mostly about the needs of the commercial or corporate pilot.  I may finally have reached a quasi-CB status in this regard...I just haven't seen a strong enough need for these features to upgrade past my Pro Plus plan.  For those of us who fly the same plane pretty much all the time, we should be well-enough versed in the general performance capabilities of the plane that we don't need a crutch such as this one. I can see a commercial pilot or someone who has to fly and keep track of multiple aircraft finding this very useful.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, gsxrpilot said:

Damn! I might have upgrade to PerformancePlus because of this. And for the haters, complain all you like, but it's in the companies best interest to produce features attractive enough to get enough customers to upgrade to the higher subscription tiers. Until now, they haven't met that mark for me. But this might just do it.

On a related note, my flight from Austin to Denver on Saturday was my first experience with the latest Avidyne IFD540 version 10.2.3.1 and it's improved integration with ForeFlight. It was absolutely the best upgrade since I started using ForeFlight 5 years ago and the IFD540 three years ago. The way ForeFlight can now display all ADSB data pulling from the built-in wifi on the IFD540 is really a game changer for me. This includes Radar weather, Cloud tops, Icing levels, winds aloft, and traffic. All of this without any Stratus, Sentry or any other external box to feed ForeFlight. it just gets everything directly from the IFD now.

Do it! in a turbo plane, the speed/fuel vs altitude functionality is very nice and somewhat better implemented than fltplan.com IMHO.  This t/o and ldg stuff is interesting, and I'll be eager to mess around with it later.

1 hour ago, Jeff_S said:

ForeFlight is a great app and still my favorite. However, their continued inclusion of new features in the Performance Plus category seems mostly about the needs of the commercial or corporate pilot.  I may finally have reached a quasi-CB status in this regard...I just haven't seen a strong enough need for these features to upgrade past my Pro Plus plan.  For those of us who fly the same plane pretty much all the time, we should be well-enough versed in the general performance capabilities of the plane that we don't need a crutch such as this one. I can see a commercial pilot or someone who has to fly and keep track of multiple aircraft finding this very useful.

Yes, but there's a small gimmick in there. Foreflight introduces a new "cool" feature or two in the Performance+ package to attract the non-commercial or corporate user to the higher price point. I was speaking with a friend yesterday who was seriously contemplating going Perf+ for the Airport 3D View capability.  Trying to decide whether that one feature was worth the extra $100.

That's consistent with the company. They've done stuff like that for a while. For example, georeferenced taxi diagrams are a godsend for the average VFR-only pilot who flies into justa bout anything with more than one runway, let alone a Class D or C (or B ) airport. Yet that VFR pilot needs to purchase a bunch of IFR capabilities in order to get it in FF.

Like you, I am still a dedicated FF user, but will likely drop it when I stop filing IFR.

Edited by midlifeflyer

I invite our resident POH data ‘scraper’ @patrickf to see this conversation... 

Patrick has digitized some of the data for his Ovation from his POH.

Making this data readily available is one of the smartest things an entity can do...

I think that entity could be the manufacturer, or in my case the 310hp STC holder...

WAAS gps data collection has revolutionized our ability to collect and compare our own high quality T/O data...

The more easy it is to use, the more often people will use it...

As Jeff points out... under most circumstances, we know our planes and our airports pretty well...

Where we run into challenges is... when the runway gets short and our DA gets tall...  (the other Patrick’s challenge)

It will be interesting to collect some actual T/O distances of Mooneys fully loaded on hot days... on loooong runways.

Does ForeFlight try to collect actual T/O data?  (I have only seen CloudAhoy do this so far)

Best regards,

-a-

On 5/30/2019 at 4:11 PM, midlifeflyer said:

Yes, but there's a small gimmick in there. Foreflight introduces a new "cool" feature or two in the Performance+ package to attract the non-commercial or corporate user to the higher price point. I was speaking with a friend yesterday who was seriously contemplating going Perf+ for the Airport 3D View capability.  Trying to decide whether that one feature was worth the extra $100.

That's consistent with the company. They've done stuff like that for a while. For example, georeferenced taxi diagrams are a godsend for the average VFR-only pilot who flies into justa bout anything with more than one runway, let alone a Class D or C (or B ) airport. Yet that VFR pilot needs to purchase a bunch of IFR capabilities in order to get it in FF.

Like you, I am still a dedicated FF user, but will likely drop it when I stop filing IFR.

With the vector graphics aeronautical charts you don’t need an FAA taxi chart with geo reference for the majority of airports - just zoom in on the map and the taxiways are clearly depicted. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, bradp said:

With the vector graphics aeronautical charts you don’t need an FAA taxi chart with geo reference for the majority of airports - just zoom in on the map and the taxiways are clearly depicted. 

True, assuming the VFR pilot wants to pay for that.

But I find the taxi diagrams much more usable for taxiing. For example, you can write the taxi instructions and your actual path on them.

• Like 1

Just now, midlifeflyer said:

True, assuming the VFR pilot wants to pay for that.

But I find the taxi diagrams much more usable for taxiing. For example, you can write the taxi instructions and your actual path on them.

Also True 

I just upgraded to the performance plus and I like the additional features but have one complaint.  They pull the performance data directly from the POH which is calculated at peak TIT. I’m not sure many people who have my plane (bravo) runs it at peak TIT and achieves the fuel numbers in the POH (unless they want to be doing engine work on a regular basis).  So while the takeoff/landing performance is cool I can’t really rely on the fuel calculations.

1 hour ago, Davidv said:

I just upgraded to the performance plus and I like the additional features but have one complaint.  They pull the performance data directly from the POH which is calculated at peak TIT. I’m not sure many people who have my plane (bravo) runs it at peak TIT and achieves the fuel numbers in the POH (unless they want to be doing engine work on a regular basis).  So while the takeoff/landing performance is cool I can’t really rely on the fuel calculations.

Click the performance profile, and you can adjust speed and fuel flow.  I’ve worked with them a bit on this, and my SOP and default performance profile is 29x2500, with the speed reduced by 8% and FF by 5%. I’m finding that is dead nuts on.

they are right now working on Acclaim vs Acclaim Type S.  There are real differences in stall speed and landing differences between the two.  Flap gap seals enable faster cruise, but of course, there is a cost...

i have really enjoyed working with them on this stuff over the last six months or so.  When rationalizing the cost of FF.... I remember what I spent on Jeppesen full east coverage, plus the time to do the updates and the confetti I’m still finding in the sofa... The cost of FF is very easy for me to rationalize.  Or, as I like to say: “Sure, I rationalize, but that’s ok.”

-dan

Edited by exM20K
  • Like 1

Interesting...

The O1 - O3 powered O1 with the Type S’s prop... didn’t get any changes in landing or stall characteristics.

Take-off and climb have big changes...

Cruise and fuel burn have related changes...

The nose got a bit heavier, but that is accounted for by the WnB...

What causes the Acclaim’s differences here?

Wondering out loud, thanks -dan.  :)

Best regard,

-a-

32 minutes ago, carusoam said:

Interesting...

The O1 - O3 powered O1 with the Type S’s prop... didn’t get any changes in landing or stall characteristics.

Take-off and climb have big changes...

Cruise and fuel burn have related changes...

The nose got a bit heavier, but that is accounted for by the WnB...

What causes the Acclaim’s differences here?

Wondering out loud, thanks -dan.  :)

Best regard,

-a-

flap gap seals raise the stall speed. That's the lion's share of it.  310 STC improves takeoff and climb (but no numbers), and the flap gap seals and prop help cruise (numbers in POH).

-dan 

• Like 1

This is a great feature...but unfortunately they did not add the 205 to the list of enabled aircraft.  I wrote to them and begged them to add it.  They said they will note the request but could not promise when they will update with the 205 data.  Anyone that has a MSE/ 205 / Allegro pls write them and maybe they will expedite.

• Like 1